| FTBL Mike Shula Documentary

The video fails to mention textbook gate, which happened under Shula's watch. Saban was left to deal with the fallout. We had ZERO room for screwing up, as we were still under sanctions during that time. Saban navigated us through it, thankfully. It could have been very bad, otherwise

The biggest thing that pissed me off about the Shula era was his first year. If he was this offensive guru and had a mind for it, why didn't he adapt to what was in place? Why come in and put in an entire new offensive system? He as one person, could have learned what was in place, and tweaked it as the year went on.

I remember reading after the N Illinois loss. One of their guys said they made zero adjustments after halftime. Said the offense came out and did the exact same thing they had been doing the first half. We lost that game by 2 points..........and the 2 points was a blocked extra point that they ran back for 2. 3 point swing. 😤😤 That loss chaps my ass worse than the UL Monroe in 07.

Croyle's injury in '04 & Prothro's injury in '05 fundamentally changed Shula's history. Those two injuries are what opened the door to the timing of CNS.
Those, and not signing Tebow. I think if BAMA signs him, then Shula isn't fired after the '06 season. And I think we don't get Saban. Think of the landscape of BAMA football based on that...

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/tim-tebow-recruitment-phone-call/

The biggest thing that pissed me off about the Shula era was his first year. If he was this offensive guru and had a mind for it, why didn't he adapt to what was in place? Why come in and put in an entire new offensive system? He as one person, could have learned what was in place, and tweaked it as the year went on.

I remember reading after the N Illinois loss. One of their guys said they made zero adjustments after halftime. Said the offense came out and did the exact same thing they had been doing the first half. We lost that game by 2 points..........and the 2 points was a blocked extra point that they ran back for 2. 3 point swing. 😤😤 That loss chaps my ass worse than the UL Monroe in 07.
I was at that game. Just a sick feeling all around. And I mean I was literally sick to my stomach after that loss. Should've beaten them by at LEAST 3 scores. I've never heard a crowd of BAMA fans so quiet after a game. Nobody wanted to talk at that time. We all just walked back to our cars and went home. Just...disgusting.

What did he do to try and save his job? I don’t know much about it
Coach Moore encouraged him to make a few staff changes on the offensive side. According to a few people, Shula called up Coach Perkins and asked him his opinion and what he should do. Perkins told him to stand firm and run it his way, no way they would fire him with him being alumni. Mike went bull headed and refused to make a change and it showed.

Coach Moore encouraged him to make a few staff changes on the offensive side. According to a few people, Shula called up Coach Perkins and asked him his opinion and what he should do. Perkins told him to stand firm and run it his way, no way they would fire him with him being alumni. Mike went bull headed and refused to make a change and it showed.
"Sorry Mr. Moore but if David Rader can't stay on as OC, you might as well fire me."

My cousin did stand up comedy & was hired to do a session at the Jaguars training camp a couple of years after Shula was fired at Bama. Shula was the OC (I believe) and was introduced to my cousin. Shula said “ I understand that you are a big Alabama fan?” Cousin said yes.Shula responded “I used to be!”
Kinda fits with Don Shula saying Mike would have done as good as Saban, if Alabama had given him enough time.

I was there, it was miserable

The only thing I'm thankful for when it comes to deer in the headlights Shula is, he was the second coming of J.B. "Ears" Whitworth. We honestly needed another Ears Whitworth so we could get Saban, just as the first Ears resulted in The Bear coming. The shit he has said since he has been gone from UA has just underscored what a tool he is. I never bought into the narrative about how he took the job when nobody else would and did it out of alma mater loyalty. He took the job because, one, Dave Wannstedt's time at Miami was about up anyways, so he wasn't going to be there much longer, no matter what. And two, he knew that he could wheel and deal a sweet buyout, so even if he had gone winless his whole time there, in the WORST case scenario, he was walking away flush. He really didn't care that much about the program. The whole thing was self serving. And textbook gate was NOT much ado about nothing. It could have cratered the program. Saban cleaned up that mess and even took a hit on some of his wins in 2007. Not to mention, our probation was extended for 3 more years, all thanks to Mr loyalty, Mike Shula. And that jack wagon has the audacity to say he "used to be a Bama fan". Fuck him and the horse he rode in on

He was in an almost impossible situation, but he also was in over his head.

He’s a great guy but that doesn’t necessarily translate into being a good coach.
His situation was bad, especially the beginning. Coming in AFTER Spring football, the rules of the time of no contact with players during the summer and scholarship limitations was a near impossible task to have any success. So his first year was basically a “free pass”. Problem was, his peak season in ‘05 was an anomaly with an experienced core of players that stayed.
He was WAY over his head! Discipline was a joke, workouts were optional and that was about the best there was.

Back
Top Bottom