| FTBL Gators are right: 14,000 days make Georgia most overrated program in college footbal

Max

It’s still nearly six months before the Florida-Georgia rivalry will be renewed for the 98th time in November, and already the Gators and the Dawgs are baring their teeth on social media.

The genesis of this hilarious Twitter tussle began last Thursday when Florida fans began mockingly referring to Georgia’s “14K Day” and tweeting out the number “14,000.” You’re probably thinking, ‘What is 14k Day?’ Well, it’s the anniversary of the last time Georgia won a national championship.

That’s right, Georgia’s last national championship was won with a 17-10 victory over Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, 1981 — exactly 14,000 days prior to last Thursday. If you want to gain a greater perspective into the antiquity of Georgia’s last natty, then consider five events of 1981 that happened after the Dawgs beat Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl that year:

(1) Lady Diana married Prince Charles; (2) NASA launched the very first Space Shuttle mission; (3) Raiders of the Lost Ark debuted at movie theaters; (4) Bette Davis Eyes became the No. 1 song; and (5) Steve Spurrier — the Gators’ legendary Dawg catcher — was still two years away from getting his first head-coaching job.

The inclination is to tell UF fans to settle down and check the scoreboard during the last two seasons in which the Dawgs pounded the Gators by scores of 42-7 (Jim McElwain’s final game) and 36-17 (Dan Mullen’s first Cocktail Party). However, it would be hypocritical of me to chastise Gator fans for pointing out how embarrassingly long it’s been since the Dawgs ruled college football.

The fact is I’ve always thought Georgia was the most overrated program in college football and I still do. And the Gator-concocted 14K Day drives that point home even further.

I’ve written it before and I will reiterate it here:

Georgia fans have way too high of an opinion of their program. The Bulldogs have won one national title in the modern era and that came nearly 40 years ago in 1980. And the only reason it happened then is because of two lightning-in-a-bottle twists of fate: The Bulldogs were fortunate enough to sign arguably the greatest player in college football history (see Herschel Walker) and they were lucky enough to take advantage of one of the biggest fluke plays in college football history (see Lindsay Scott’s catch-and-run against Florida during the national-championship season).

I once wrote that without Herschel Walker and Lindsay Scott, Georgia would be closer in history and tradition to South Carolina than it is to Florida. I’ll admit now that’s probably taking it a bit too far and, therefore, I’d like to amend that statement to say this: Without Walker and Scott, Georgia would be closer in history and tradition to Wisconsin than Florida. For most of its history, Georgia has been a good, solid program; just not an elite program.

Five SEC teams — Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida and Tennessee — have won national championships since the Bulldogs last won theirs. The Dawgs have one national championship in modern history; the Gators have three. The Gators have won eight SEC titles in the last 30 years; the Dawgs have won three.

Any college football historian will tell you that Spurrier changed the direction of the Florida-Georgia rivalry when he won 11 games against the Dawgs during his 12 years as UF’s head coach.

The question is this: Will Kirby Smart become Georgia’s version of Spurrier? Just as Spurrier woke up the sleeping giant at his alma mater and turned the Gators into a national power, Smart may be on the verge of doing the same at his alma mater. In three seasons at Georgia, Smart has won one SEC Championship, two Eastern Division titles and played for one national championship.

Smart is off to a good start, but he’s never going to dominate the league like Spurrier once did or even like the iconic Vince Dooley did when he won or tied for six SEC titles during his 25 years as head coach at Georgia.

Plus, it doesn’t help that Smart may have met his match in Mullen, who turned UF’s program around in one season and is starting to challenge Smart’s superiority on the recruiting trail.

Georgia’s program is certainly ahead of Florida at this very moment, but will it last?

Or will we be in this same position 38 years into the future — on Aug. 30, 2057 — with Gator fans taunting Dawg fans on 28K Day?

I love it. My dad is bitching and bitching about Mullen, and it couldn't make me happier. It doesn't take much to ruffle the feathers of a Georgia fan, but damn if Florida can't do it all day every day. I would love to see Mullen become the next Spurrier to Georgia.

I love it. My dad is bitching and bitching about Mullen, and it couldn't make me happier. It doesn't take much to ruffle the feathers of a Georgia fan, but damn if Florida can't do it all day every day. I would love to see Mullen become the next Spurrier to Georgia.

Mullen is the real deal. Dawg fans believe deeply in moral victories. Getting beat by Bama the last 2 years is only confirmation of the dynasty coming just over the horizon. At that point, I've let a few know they are asking for this stuff. Until you do it, it isn't so.

The most overrated. If not UGA then who? Til Saban arrived at lsu maybe the Tigers could have challenged it. But lsu has 2 NCs since

But UGA 3 sec titles in 30 years. Wow. With that HS level program in that state and bordering Florida.

But uga fans will tell you.... things would be different if it wasnt for......bama

The last time the Dawgs won anything John Travolta was wearing that white suit. I still have mine.

You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Feel the city breakin'
And ev'rybody shakin'
And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha,
Stayin' alive.
Stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha,
Stayin' alive.

Errrrbody sing

And wheres the pic of youin ur white suit....
I couldn't afford the suit and a polaroid camera ...

remember this guy...hell the film was around 10 bucks back in the mid 70's and for only 8-10 snaps

@50+yeartidefan, Edited. I said "aren't" but voice to text didn't translate. (Is that considered a typo since the phone made the mistake? I'm quite enunciated with my speech.)

It would be UGA -2 in Gainesville, UGA -8.5 in Athens. Yes, I'd call that a competitive score (though we've seen games with close scores that weren't anywhere near competitive as well as seeing games with big margins that were.)

I don't understand all the love for Mullen. Most of the taking heads refer to him as a great coach. Well in my book he is NOT a great coach.
At best maybe a good coach. He hasn't even won a divisional SEC title. So if he can't win a SEC West title how can he be a great coach?
Can someone please tell what is his greatest win as a coach?

I don't understand all the love for Mullen

Good coordinator and good at taking whatever he has at QB and getting everything out of them. As an HC he is 50/50 to make a stupid decision under pressure and has serious issues winning close games. Goofier than Dabo just in a different way. The best comedy was watching him and Freeze duel for tallest midget over here in the 'Sip.

I don't understand all the love for Mullen. Most of the taking heads refer to him as a great coach. Well in my book he is NOT a great coach.
At best maybe a good coach. He hasn't even won a divisional SEC title. So if he can't win a SEC West title how can he be a great coach?

With all due respect here, it's difficult to do that against THE Coach. Only Auburn and LSU have won a division title since Saban came to town, and one of those LSU titles is Saban's.

Dude he had Mississippi State ranked number 1 at one point in 2014 and won 8-9 games a year at a program that historically been a step above Vanderbilt in the SEC West. Jackie Sherrill was dominant at both Pittsburgh and Texas A&M, and even he didn't have the track record Mullen had at MSU. I'd say Mullen's pedigree speaks for itself. Florida was a demoralized program after McElwain's last year in 2017, and Mullen has able to win 10 games in 2018.

Applying the logic you just used, would it be safe to say that if this forum existed in the year 1999, you'd say LSU is stupid for hiring some hot head from Michigan State who for the most part only one 6 games a year during his tenure?

Dude he had Mississippi State ranked number 1 at one point in 2014 and won 8-9 games a year at a program that historically been a step above Vanderbilt in the SEC West. Jackie Sherrill was dominant at both Pittsburgh and Texas A&M, and even he didn't have the track record Mullen had at MSU. I'd say Mullen's pedigree speaks for itself. Florida was a demoralized program after McElwain's last year in 2017, and Mullen has able to win 10 games in 2018.

Applying the logic you just used, would it be safe to say that if this forum existed in the year 1999, you'd say LSU is stupid for hiring some hot head from Michigan State who for the most part only one 6 games a year during his tenure?

Like I said please tell me his best win. I stand by my statement.

Florida was a demoralized program after McElwain's last year in 2017, and Mullen has able to win 10 games in 2018.

Mac won 10 and 9 and 2 SEC East titles with Chumps folks

Mullen failed every signature "win" game he had at State. Under .500 in conference play except 1 year at 6-2 where the schedule was front loaded with easy wins. Everybody except the rabid dawgs knew that #1 ranking was fools gold

Mac won 10 and 9 and 2 SEC East titles with Chumps folks

Mullen failed every signature "win" game he had at State. Under .500 in conference play except 1 year at 6-2 where the schedule was front loaded with easy wins. Everybody except the rabid dawgs knew that #1 ranking was fools gold

What exactly is a signature win?

I recall in 2014 a 3rd ranked team beating #2 Auburn, 38-23. Miss State was ranked #1 the next week. The same year they went into Baton Rouge and beat an LSU in a huge SEC game and a highly ranked Texas A&M team as well. In 2010 they went into the swamp and beat an Urban Meyer team.

On a personal note, I remember the Dawgs coming into Tuscaloosa and playing us close in a 25-20 game in 2014. That was "signature" enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom