| FOOD First reaction on seeing this picture? Me? I want a cheeseburger.

TerryP

Staff
I found this scrolling through the Twitterverse the other day . I can still see the place on Governors Drive...loved it as a kid.

FErhmCsXEAQNaey

🤣 My brother and I always pulled the levers on those cig vending machines. My favorite was the strawberry pies. They were magic. And the breakfast buffet was a destination, usually an award for something achieved. It was incredible to a kid.

Loved the breakfast bar and the strawberry pies.

My favorite memory of eating at Shoney's was in Savannah, Georgia. I worked for an electrical contractor who did industrial and commercial jobs. He got the bid on a small hospital in Savannah and rented a bungalow for us to stay in while working on the job. Savannah has the second largest St. Patrick's day parade in America or so they said and all the other guys but me stayed out till 4 a.m. partying. We had to leave the bungalow by 5:30 a.m. to eat and get to the job on time. I had a helluva time getting them up and in the company van to leave. I stopped at Shoney's as usual and went to the breakfast bar,

The other 5 just stayed at our table and most ordered coffee. In honor of St. Patrick's Day, everything that could be colored green was green: eggs, oatmeal, grits, milk, just everything had a green tint to it. When I got back to the table with the plate loaded with green food, one by one they got the dry heaves and had to leave the building! Luckily all of them made it.

🤣 My brother and I always pulled the levers on those cig vending machines. My favorite was the strawberry pies. They were magic. And the breakfast buffet was a destination, usually an award for something achieved. It was incredible to a kid.

In the 80's, we had a Shoney's and a Quincy's just a stone's throw from each other. As a kid, I didn't think the world could be improved.

Back
Top Bottom