Favorite Place You Have Vacationed?

always love going to Saskatchewan duriing hunting season

IMG_3622-X3.jpg

i've always loved going to the gulf coast. i went to jacksonville and daytona once, but i'd still have to pick the gulf coast as my favorite. i love gulf shores and orange beach. i guess it's because i'm older now but i love a quiet time as opposed to a party scene (a la panama city beach during spring break). i'm content to sit out on the balcony of a condo and just hang out in the salty air and listen to the ocean while i surf the net on my ipad. or i could just walk around snapping pics.

i have been to seattle a couple times and it's an awesome place to visit. they have great food and great people and the city itself is overall a nice place.

but overall, i'd still pick the gulf coast. although i would like to go hiking/camping up in the mountains for a nice change, but i think i'd still keep the beaches as my favorite.

Austin Texas is my number 1 choice. Second would probably be San Diego or Berkley because Cal's campus is GORGEOUS and I love hanging out on University Avenue.

I still have to make my way down to Florida and see St Petersberg and Tampa.

Often times I will just stay home and relax . Quite often during the week I will go out of town for a day or 2 to either New Orleans, Biloxi,Destin,Pensacola or Gulf Shores. Otherwise I have gone to Gatlinburg,Tn., Colorado, and even up by Williamsburg, Pa.

The Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area is our standard, been there probably 18 out of the last 20 years. Nearby, Point Clear and Fairhope are great spots. Outdoors wise, I've hiked the Appalachian Trail and there are great spots all along the trail from Georgia to Maine for those wanting to see nature, but the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club rents basic cabins (no running water in most) convenient to the Parkway in Virginia. My favorite is Pocosin Cabin. Also, the hiking near Roanoke, VA (Catawba Mountain, Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs) is pretty unique for views and rock outcroppings this side of the White Mountains in New Hampshire, and the Presidential Range through there is just about my all time favorite. Regionally, Asheville is a great town for a weekend getaway - good music, fine breweries, the Biltmore if you like - don't miss Tupelo Honey for dinner and Early Girl Eatery for breakfast. You are also within a great area for outdoor stuff as well. Nationally, everybody needs a week or so in DC and three days or so in New York City. And every person should see the Grand Canyon. We hiked in and rafted down for a week with our two older kids and it was a trip to remember.

RTR,

Tim

My favorite place I vacationed was Perth Australia, been all over Canada, in America I loved going to the Cascades in Washington, loved Alaska, Montana, Hawaii, and the gulf coast is my most frequent vacation spot. I love the city of New Orleans too.

One day I will go to Ireland and visit my roots and also go to a Tavern named after my relatives in PA.

http://www.dillstavern.org/

Tim, I was thinking about going back to D.C. this summer for several days. I went several years ago during the winter for a wedding... that's the only time I've been. Tried to see a lot of stuff, and did, but felt rushed to fit it all in 3 days. I want to go back and spend about 5 or 6 days, and of course catch a baseball game this time (Roll Matt Williams).

Tim, I was thinking about going back to D.C. this summer for several days. I went several years ago during the winter for a wedding... that's the only time I've been. Tried to see a lot of stuff, and did, but felt rushed to fit it all in 3 days. I want to go back and spend about 5 or 6 days, and of course catch a baseball game this time (Roll Matt Williams).

I've spent many months in either my DC headquarters across from the Old Executive Building or our Virginia Square Arlington facility. It can be a bit overwhelming to try to see it all. When I have family with me, they typically hit museums and such by day and we do the monuments by night. One of the most surprising things to me when I first went there 26 years ago was the size of the Marine Corps War Memorial. You can do most things by Metro, but one place I wouldn't recommend by Metro is the Navy Yard - tough neighborhood. The museum there is nice and has a great piece of Alabama history. The CSS Alabama, a renowned Confederate raider, met her match off the coast of France if I recall from the USS Kearsarge. The Alabama got off an early shot that hit the Kearsarge in the stern that should've blown it out of the water but it didn't detonate, then the Kearsarge returned shots near the Alabama's water line to sink her. They replaced the Kearsarge's stern beam and that beam, with the ordnance lodged in the beam, is on display there.

RTR,

Tim

Not an every year vacation for most of us but our favorite so far as been a trip to Alaska. We flew to Seattle, took a bus to Vancouver, and a cruise ship to Alaska. Spent 7 days touring Alaska and then flew back to Seattle. We loved it.

Hope to go to Hawaii for our 40th wedding anniversary this year.

Back
Top Bottom