| FOOD Fast food places you are happy they disappeared.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chucky Cheese yet. I know some of you older folks probably wanted to bang your head against a wall after finding out you had to take your kids to one of those.

Back in the day, the Showbiz in Vestavia by the bowling alley was legit. Every kid in school had their birthday party either there or at the Putt-Putt arcade. Couldn't go wrong either way...

Burger King's are dropping right and left for sure. I'm on the other side of the fence for BWW, the one in Pell City is consistent and I get an $11 double patty smash/cheeseburger at lunch with a drink, pretty good. That franchise group has the one in Chelsea and some Arby's/something else I forget, I think they stay on top of things, which is a necessity for survival in that space.

Getting an Outback in Pell City in a few months, excited about another option.

I've only eaten at the Tuscaloosa location and never had the burgers. Had the chicken sandwich once or twice and it was not good. All the other times I had wings, either real or "boneless"... actually prefer the boneless ones there because they are more filling, and despite having some good sauces, the chicken always tastes a little off... I assume because it's frozen.

Also, had a job many years ago working overnights, and several of us would order Steak-Out once a week on our final shifts... there's still a few that remain, including the one we'd order from (I'd always get the sirloin tips), but I figure they'll all be gone soon...
Oh, wow. That brings back memories. Where was it...around 13th on McFarland? In front of the Family Dollar shopping center. I had a duplex just down the street, close to the cemetery back then. I was dating a girl in the MBB and worked at that store. Got free food ALL the time.

Ironic you mention steak tips...I was literally thinking about those yesterday when I took out a ribeye to marinate...gonna be having steak tips and shrimp at some point today.

Burger King's are dropping right and left for sure. I'm on the other side of the fence for BWW, the one in Pell City is consistent and I get an $11 double patty smash/cheeseburger at lunch with a drink, pretty good. That franchise group has the one in Chelsea and some Arby's/something else I forget, I think they stay on top of things, which is a necessity for survival in that space.

Getting an Outback in Pell City in a few months, excited about another option.
There used to be a BK off the I. I don't know if it's still there. It's a street I don't drive ... and, other than that one, I can't tell you where I could find a BK. No clue. (The same goes for Krystal's...and there are times I could tear up some of those things...just thinking about the pickle makes my mouth water a bit.)

A guy that lives around the corner from me is a managing partner to a BWW. I don't go there often. One, horrible location for getting in and out. Two, I just don't like the people that hang out there. All I ever see is a bunch of pretentious folks who likely have Natty Light in their fridge at home. To be fair, I'm no fan of chicken wings.

BTW, did you know today is National Chicken Wing Day? Yeah, I didn't either until I saw the sign at the 7-11 a few hours ago. Buy six, get five free. Blah.

Oh, wow. That brings back memories. Where was it...around 13th on McFarland? In front of the Family Dollar shopping center. I had a duplex just down the street, close to the cemetery back then. I was dating a girl in the MBB and worked at that store. Got free food ALL the time.

Ironic you mention steak tips...I was literally thinking about those yesterday when I took out a ribeye to marinate...gonna be having steak tips and shrimp at some point today.

Columbus, GA for me. Macon Road BBQ was my favorite lunch spot back then. There was also an incredible Chinese place (I think called Mongolian BBQ) that served the best pork egg rolls I've ever had... would go by there and just get some egg rolls on some days. I can't remember the name of the little fast foot place I'd hit up at night, but it was in an old Checkers building and specialized in chicken tenders. And some evenings, I'd drive to the mall and grab Sbarro. But it was in Columbus that I first discovered Publix subs, which was life changing. At the time, there were not any Publix stores in AL.

I'd drive to the mall and grab Sbarro.
I'm trying to picture where they were in the mall. I think it was to the left off of the front entrance facing McFarland. I can see it in my head...just can't quite place where it was. It seems like it was just around the corner of the Bama Fever store.

Tell ya what. I loved their stromboli's. While I wasn't a big fan of one of their slices, the other dishes were pretty tasty. Hell, even down to spaghetti.

Back
Top Bottom