| FTBL Fat Head Coaches

G

The stereotypical fat head coach may be on the way out. Okay, granted, Leach at Texas Tech may not be exactly ready for Chippendales but he seems passably fit. Look to the number one team in the nation and you see strength in fitness from Saban. Meyer at Florida? Mack Brown is no spring chicken and he still holds his own. Spurrier? Dodd at Vandy. Les Miles. Most of the successful coaches seem to be at least passably fit.

Could it be that the "hot seat" is actually a recliner with one of those built in trays for drinks and snacks? Or, after some early success, does a coach simply get lazy and it becomes evident in other aspects of life?

Not that being fit makes you a great coach, and you can look no further than Ty Willingham for your evidence. But it doesn't seem to hurt. Maybe it shows some drive.

Shakespeare wrote in "Julius Caesar" as Caesar spoke to Antony, "Let me have men about me that are fat, Sleek headed men, such as sleep o'nights. Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous."

Oh well, there's something to chew on while waiting for the big game. I wonder how many calories that was...

Back
Top Bottom