| FTBL šŸˆ Fall camp: 2024: Special Micā€™d up Fall Camp Edition with Jeff Allen, Director of Sports Medicine. šŸ˜

Sheridan will most likely have a short leashā€¦ or he will present options to CKD and he will decide the call..at least for a little while..
Oh I donā€™t doubt. Sheridan and Shepherd both seem to possess a high ceiling in their professions. Hence why I said the way things unfolded probably ā€œpurchasedā€ us more coaching continuity than had Grubbs followed DeBoer.

@musso there are a lot of different things to consider with the new communication. I need to read the rules to get a clear understanding. I think they are automatically "killed" with fifteen seconds on the snap clock. I'm not sure.

This is where the waters get muddy. "The snap clock." BUT, when is the snap?

Let's assume the offense can get the ball snapped within say, 10 seconds. Wouldn't that also mean that as he's taking the snap he's hearing the input from the box? I don't know the rules on how this is going to work.

I do believe the value of having a good OC in the box is going to matter. Kiffin and Sark are great at calling plays from the sideline. But, I'm not sure that will have the same "value."

We'll see.
  • Players: Only one player on each side of the ball can have a radio in their helmet, which will be marked with a green dot. Teams can bring up to 10 devices to a game and must submit a list of eligible players to the conference office before the game.
  • Communication: Communication is cut off when the ball is snapped or there are 15 seconds left on the play clock, whichever comes first.
We have 40 second playclock in college football. They have 25 seconds to communication and get the play in and adjust at same time. However defense can wait until after communication is cut off to shift and confuse offense. I think we saw that several times in NFL?

anyway back to the point. Having an "eye" in the box and elite playcaler on the field. That's real good. I think Kiffin did same thing last year with his OC ?

Curious what you mean by ā€œvalueā€ because I too can certainly see Kiffin and Sark thriving with helmet comms to their QBs.

Random thought: I wonder if helmet comms was motivated at all by the diminished enjoyment of college coaching and their flight to the NFL to escape the college portal and NIL shit. I ask because it definitely returns coaches back at the forefront after so many changes in the game have either made coaches irrelevant, interchangeable or simply too busy to matter.
Because I'm comparing what I've seen on the league level to what we may see on the collegiate level. McDonald and Tua in Miami? They do well with their communication. Tomlinson in Pittsburgh? Meh.

I see Kiffin and Sark's advantage as having the defense on their heels. But, there is no advantage anymore because the DC can see it, and communicate it, at the same time. I know they have been working a lot with the communication in the back seven. How well the MIKE communicates with the DL is going to be KEY.

So far? A group that has the chance to be special.

• Players: Only one player on each side of the ball can have a radio in their helmet, which will be marked with a green dot. Teams can bring up to 10 devices to a game and must submit a list of eligible players to the conference office before the game.
  • Communication: Communication is cut off when the ball is snapped or there are 15 seconds left on the play clock, whichever comes first.
We have 40 second playclock in college football. They have 25 seconds to communication and get the play in and adjust at same time. However defense can wait until after communication is cut off to shift and confuse offense. I think we saw that several times in NFL?

anyway back to the point. Having an "eye" in the box and elite playcaler on the field. That's real good. I think Kiffin did same thing last year with his OC ?
Aight. So, I did know how it was constructed.

Let me go back to something I said earlier...with a Kiffin reference. Do you remember when we heard him whistle with Blake? It's what he saw.

40 seconds on the play clock. Who is to say you can't snap the ball at 28? With the coach talking to the QB? In a two/three read system on offense the coach can call the route. It's all about the speed and timing of the offense.

Think about this. What have you heard, a lot? Speed.

Sheridan will most likely have a short leashā€¦ or he will present options to CKD and he will decide the call..at least for a little while..

Oh I donā€™t doubt. Sheridan and Shepherd both seem to possess a high ceiling in their professions. Hence why I said the way things unfolded probably ā€œpurchasedā€ us more coaching continuity than had Grubbs followed DeBoer.
I 100 percent doubt this. This isn't a "day one of two guys working together." They know each other.

40 seconds on the play clock. Who is to say you can't snap the ball at 28? With the coach talking to the QB? In a two/three read system on offense the coach can call the route. It's all about the speed and timing of the offense.

Think about this. What have you heard, a lot? Speed.

This is where it's at, in terms of an advantage for this offense. I didn't go deep into it on page 1, but that was the gist of it...

I personally think the helmet communication will be very beneficial for Milroe, especially when they are going fast and the comms stay on.

I know it's something they are working on, getting used to, etc... including this morning's scrimmage.

LOL, what?
A lot of people made the decision appear ā€œiffyā€ when it was made.. people said Sheridanā€™s offenses in the past were mediocreā€¦ so I say CKD is going to feel him out until he is SURE they are on the same pageā€¦ Iā€™m sure the GOAT has done that beforeā€¦CKD will have the final say until he totally trust his playcalls..

A lot of people made the decision appear ā€œiffyā€ when it was made.. people said he offense s in the past were mediocreā€¦ so I say CKD is going to feel him out until he is SURE they are on the same pageā€¦ Iā€™m sure the GOAT has done that beforeā€¦CKD will have the final say..

The move to offensive coordinator may or may not work out, I've said as much myself, as recently as this week on here... and yes, DeBoer can interject and overrule, just as Saban or any other coach could/can. Sheridan will call the plays though... if they were in a "check with me" situation, it would already be doomed.

DeBoer after the scrimmage from today...

As for the scrimmage, told Milroe and Simpson both did some good things... still getting more comfortable with the offense. Justice Haynes had a good day. Ryan Williams fit in very well. TE's utilized and impactful. Some good battles with OL vs. DL.. a lot of promise on both sides with those groups. A relatively clean scrimmage and defense overall was solid for 1st scrimmage... a lot thrown at the defensive backs today. All in all, sounded like a good day for the team.

Two points from following the conversation in this thread

1. I suspect the new 0 on the clock for the offense will be 15 seconds. Get everything in and snap the ball before you lose comm so the OC can align you with what he is seeing. Once you lose comm maybe the advantage goes back to the D or at least it is now back to the QB to adjust on his own based on his prep and what he sees the D doing. On the flip side it could be the QB's that can't see it themselves may be limited anyway. Maybe the best QB's will only need some com occasionally other than the play call.
  2. On the play calling and CKD and Sheridan, I would say if CKD did not believe in Sheridan then he should never have made him the OC. That would be a mistake on CKD's part if that is the case in my view.

Two points from following the conversation in this thread

1. I suspect the new 0 on the clock for the offense will be 15 seconds. Get everything in and snap the ball before you lose comm so the OC can align you with what he is seeing. Once you lose comm maybe the advantage goes back to the D or at least it is now back to the QB to adjust on his own based on his prep and what he sees the D doing. On the flip side it could be the QB's that can't see it themselves may be limited anyway. Maybe the best QB's will only need some com occasionally other than the play call.
  2. On the play calling and CKD and Sheridan, I would say if CKD did not believe in Sheridan then he should never have made him the OC. That would be a mistake on CKD's part if that is the case in my view.
I canā€™t remember if if was at Indiana, under Tom Allenā€¦ Some reports said (he was an ocord) that his offensive product was lousyā€¦ so he rejoined CKD either at Fresno or WU.

Sheridan impressed me as Iā€™m sure CKD was impressed with him as well from their previous time together.
I wouldnā€™t judge Sheridan as a play caller from his time at Indiana. He didnā€™t have near the talent at his disposal that he does here. Also, we donā€™t know if Tom Allen didnā€™t handcuff as well, limiting him as the OC. What I mean is along the lines of Coach Stallings and his first meeting with the offense his first year, my sophomore season. He came in, told us ā€œdonā€™t turn the ball over, donā€™t put the defense in a bad position, and punting is good!ā€ He then turned and walked out.

As for the scrimmage, told Milroe and Simpson both did some good things... still getting more comfortable with the offense. Justice Haynes had a good day. Ryan Williams fit in very well. TE's utilized and impactful. Some good battles with OL vs. DL.. a lot of promise on both sides with those groups. A relatively clean scrimmage and defense overall was solid for 1st scrimmage... a lot thrown at the defensive backs today. All in all, sounded like a good day for the team.

In my opinion, penalties was the biggest news out of the day.

@TerryP said it before (RBs on wheel routes) and CKD hit on it. Our RB room is VERY VERSATILE!! Said Jam had a good run in the Red Zone and also said the room can hit it big in the pass game if the seams arenā€™t there in the run game. This offense could be really special!
Also, the defense when everyone is out there, can be special and affect the QB.

Back
Top Bottom