| FOOD Dunkin' adds cornbread donuts, donut holes to menu

TerryP

Staff
I'm NOT a fan of sweet cornbread. However, this is tempting.

I suspect it'll be welcomed ... meanwhile.

FR_bHeIUcAAab9h

When my kids were little, we were driving by a Hooters and my youngest at the time, yelled, "I want to eat there!". I asked him why, and he said, "I love donuts." I said, Daddy love donuts, too, son - and then got the look...

For a chain donut place, Dunkin' is about the best we have around here. Krispy Kreme gets all the love, but the reality is that they aren't really that great outside of their glazed and chocolate glazed. And their coffee is fair to middling. Tim Hortons is supposed to be good, but the one near us is at least a year from opening. Our local places are all better than Dunkin' for donuts, and most have at least decent coffee while some are way better than Dunkin'. Of course they also cost a lot more.

Dothan: Loyless ( Get there early they make a certain amount, and close when their out. Sometimes as early as 08:00.)

Also bean Bros. Coffee

Eufaula, Al: Doughnut King

Panama City Beach, Fl: Thomas Doughnuts. Waaaay down on the East end. ( Not on Thomas Dr. as the name might lead you to believe.)

For a chain donut place, Dunkin' is about the best we have around here. Krispy Kreme gets all the love, but the reality is that they aren't really that great outside of their glazed and chocolate glazed. And their coffee is fair to middling. Tim Hortons is supposed to be good, but the one near us is at least a year from opening. Our local places are all better than Dunkin' for donuts, and most have at least decent coffee while some are way better than Dunkin'. Of course they also cost a lot more.

Krispy Kreme ruined their products decades ago.

Sweet hot cornbread broken up, with buttermilk can't be beat.
I never developed a taste for buttermilk, but I love it with sweet milk. My Dad would always eat the remaining cornbread as an evening snack, with buttermilk. When he was younger, that might be all he would eat, because that's all they had.

Many of our favorite meals come from those before us, who had to make do with little. A little off the path, but when my Dad was a kid growing up, the older kids were gone, his Dad was gone, and it was just him, his Mom and a little sister. They had nothing, and what my Dad could kill with a ragged .22 was what they ate, along with buttermilk from a nearby dairy, what they could scrape up in their garden or pick from a neighbors, and grease and cornmeal. Nothing went to waste. Any leftover went into the next day's meal. "Pea Patties" were a batter from leftover blackeyed peas, an egg, cornmeal and some onion. Fry it in a skillet. Growing up, I would purposefully eat fewer peas knowing we would be having Pea Patties the next day.

RTR,

Tim

Coffee - mine

Donuts - Dutch Monkey in Cumming, GA

Cornbread - I agree with planomateo (shouldn't you call yourself Montana Matt now that you've moved?) - Not sweet! Basic cornbread using iron skillet, stick butter melted (half in pan, other in mix), 2 C WhiteLily buttermilk cornmeal mix, egg, cup or so of buttermilk...pinch of salt - maybe Tb sugar. 425 for 22 min. Perfect. Every. Time. Cut a wedge and put it in middle of a bowl - one scoop of beans on one side and one scoop of collards with pot liquor on the other. Now that's a balanced meal.

Back
Top Bottom