| FTBL Do you think Mike Shula is the guy...

Do you think Mike Shula is the guy to lead Bama to a Conference and National Championship?

• Total voters
I feel like he has to beat Auburn this year and win 8 games in order to stay off the hot seat. I think he's got to get a conference championship next year or folks will turn on him.

I voted yes, mainly because:

1. It's Saturday, I'm feeling optimistic, and I've consumed a substantial amount of Australian wine, as well as Czech & Polish beer. My judgment is admittedly impaired.

2. Stability, staff experience, facilities, recruiting, and 100+ years of momentum. Shula actually has an impressive staff and world class facilities. The past few probation-ridden years have been anomalies. Alabama is freakin' ALABAMA. Even a mentally-challenged rube like Mike DuBose can win 10 games at Alabama. Mike Shula is not a mentally-challenged rube; he's a very smart guy. He's finally off probation. He will eventually win at the highest levels.

Yes. I've already seen what he can do when he has experienced talent.

I haven't seen what he can do when he rebuilds the depth which judging by his recruiting, I believe he will.

This game was a disapointment for more reasons than the score, but the simple truth is players have to execute and play with pride. Tonight ours didn't. Young teams show their behind like this from time to time.

Hopefully, this was a learning experience.

I agree that it's a positive that they came back and won. However, they have never come back to win a game in 15 tries when they trailed after the 3rd quarter. They've also never beaten a ranked team on the road. Those are major red flags for me and really makes me wonder if Shula will ever be able to get it done.

dabaxter said:
Those are major red flags for me and really makes me wonder if Shula will ever be able to get it done.

It will take six years before anyone can make any serious conclusions about this staff IMO.

Simple as that.

Chicken Littlehood is the last thing this team needs right now.

Stability, sticking to the plan, continuing to support the players and coaches through the inevitable rough spots and rebuilding our depth are some things we do need.

I voted yes

I ain't going to give up on him yet. However, if we can't get to Atlanta by 2008, I am done with him. Then I'll say this, if Shula can't get it done, then we need to go out and buy the best up and coming coach at whatever price it takes 'cause we are freakin' Alabama!

Billie Bob said:
I voted yes

I ain't going to give up on him yet. However, if we can't get to Atlanta by 2008, I am done with him. Then I'll say this, if Shula can't get it done, then we need to go out and buy the best up and coming coach at whatever price it takes 'cause we are freakin' Alabama!

Coach Urban Meyer seriously wanted the Bama job when Fran was hired. I believe he was at BG at the time....or which ever MAC team he was at.

Also, I didn't vote because I can't see the options. The sun is in my eyes.

tidefan_24 said:
Billie Bob said:
I voted yes

Coach Urban Meyer seriously wanted the Bama job when Fran was hired. I believe he was at BG at the time....or which ever MAC team he was at.

Also, I didn't vote because I can't see the options. The sun is in my eyes.

Yea, the people that still don't think that guy is a good coach are just stupid. With FLA's powerful offense and stingy defense, I don't see why they can't win the national championship this year.

Shula is a great recruiter.......but.....he needs to stop calling any plays and let the coaches that he hired handle that.........as soon as he figures that out....the better.....besides that....if he continues calling the plays for either side of the ball....expect many more bone head calls and stupid ass mistakes........might i say third and 2 from the duke 40 yard line (4th quarter with about 8mins on the clock).......we throw to the endzone instead of picking up the 1st down and using more clock. Of course, it was incomplete.

Anyway, thats my vent for the night.....lets get ready for ole miss.

A pittyful Duke win doesn't make me think we will never win a NC with Shula.

I honestly think there should be offensive changes...

SOMETHING SHOULD BE CHANGED AFTER THIS SEASON.

I'll quote Forest Gump..."And thats about all I have to say about that"

I don't know.

I have been a supporter of CMS until now. I now question his coaching abilities. We just had our 6th game and should be playing pretty good ball now. I see very little improvement since the beginning of the year.

Do I think there need to be changes at the end of the year-yes,
especially on Offense.

1. Offensive Line- The line is a little better than last year- we are
protecting the quarterback better than last year, but our running
ability just plain sucks. With our stable of RB's, we should be one
of the top teams in the nation. I just don't see a of of holes opening
up. I think it might be time to change OL coach.

2. Offensive Coordinator- What does Radar do? Does he just make
suggestions to CMS? Either let Radar make the calls 100% or get
a get a new OC and let him make the calls. I think CMS needs to
stay out of the play calling and let his OC do his job. We need
an agressive OC.

I read an article in the Birmingham News last week, where Radar
said he thought Shula was one of the top play callers in the nation.
I'm sorry, I just don't see it. And I don't think he (Shula)has been that
great of a head coach either. I see the same mistakes commited
over and over. Is it youth or is it coaching? I think it is a little of
both. I think some changes need to be made. Do I think Shula
needs to be fired at the end of the season-no, but If he loses to
Auburn, I think he will definitly be on the hot seat.

So, I do question wheather if Shula is the coach to take us to our
next national championship. Have I given up on CMS-No.
I don't want to see the team go through another coaching change
and at the same time, I think we should be completly fair to
CMS. He steped in a big pile of Dodo. I think the University will
probably give him two more years and then evaluate him.

Unbelievably devoid of substance. Bama fans expect blood from a turnip. I expected a down week after the emotion of the last two weeks. Sure they are struggling but all the things that we wanted to see are there. Especially in the passing game. Bama plays DOWN to competition and they have always done that. That's how Ole Miss nearly won last year. Answer to the problems on the field: EXECUTION and PENALTIES. Every drive was potentially a scoring one but was stalled by penalties. McClain had 4 I think.

This team went out looking for a beat down and got sloppy!!! Thats what young teams do.

Yall complain about the play calling, then the playbook is opened up and you complain about something else. I'm ok with my football team because they won last night. I have some issues with execution and I attribute that to the youth. Some assistants may need to go at the end of the season but that is routine. OL and DL is struggling. DL especially last night. The D pitched a shutout in the second half and Darby got moving. As a coach I would love to work on this staff. They are talented and they have made chicken salad out of chicken crap.

Things also came together for Duke last night. That happens now and again. Like Air Force at Tennessee, UC at UGA, Akron at NC State, Cincinnati at OSU. If the tide football team and coaching staff had the collective attitude (or football knowledge) of many on this board, they would never win BUT would make one hell of a puddle on the ground every Sunday morning.

I think he is the man for the job we just need to give him more time let,s not forget where we were when he got here. the ncaa tryed to give us the death penalty with out calling it that. But that,s what they did if it was some other school it would hav kill them.give him time

You guys are still whinning about Shula...... get a Grip.... like I said before 8th in the nation isn't good enough for u.... Yall ought to be ashamed of yourselves... Bitching and moaning every week.... i would hate to see u guys at home.... Wha wha wha, All day and night.... This is supposed to be fun and u guys make it horrible....... He is doing a good job and is improving a YOUNG team....Sure threy had a bad few weeks but WHO DOESN'T...... They are working hard and U can't win every game u play..... When u have 22 seniors(UF) U can make a run but in the SEC its tough road every week and very hard to be in the top 10 in the nation.... The next 2 years if he doesnt win 9 - 11 games each year Then I will question if its him or not.... He is getting better and so is ALABAMA..... I'm glad we have him.......

Back
Top Bottom