| FTBL Do you think Mike Shula is the guy...

Do you think Mike Shula is the guy to lead Bama to a Conference and National Championship?

• Total voters
I think we should hire Bill Curry, or Ray Perkins, Mike Dubose, or Dennis Franchione, or Mike Price or hey Sly Croom wil be looking for a job soon. Boy, that joke about Bama fans and maggots really is true. We have the greatest fans in the world.

I think what is missing is the HC doing the job of a HC. That I think is the only part of the equation that is missing. This means, like many have pointed out, the CMS should let the OC do the entire OC job. I wonder how many execution issues would be settled if he could concentrate on the total game and not divide himself by worrying over the O.

The little things we are missing are due to leadership. Not the absence of leadership, but the improper application due to being over extended. CMS hasn’t learned how to be the HC yet. He is still in the mind set of being the QB. Let’s hope someone finally gets this pointed out to him.

BTW – This is not a CMS bashing post. Just an observation and it is Monday.

Bryant Disciple said:
I voted yes, mainly because:

1. It's Saturday, I'm feeling optimistic, and I've consumed a substantial amount of Australian wine, as well as Czech & Polish beer. My judgment is admittedly impaired.

2. Stability, staff experience, facilities, recruiting, and 100+ years of momentum. Shula actually has an impressive staff and world class facilities. The past few probation-ridden years have been anomalies. Alabama is freakin' ALABAMA. Even a mentally-challenged rube like Mike DuBose can win 10 games at Alabama. Mike Shula is not a mentally-challenged rube; he's a very smart guy. He's finally off probation. He will eventually win at the highest levels.

Amen.

rtauburnsucks said:
Shula is a great recruiter.......but.....he needs to stop calling any plays and let the coaches that he hired handle that.........as soon as he figures that out....the better.

I don't think that was the issue with the Duke game. It was a head coaching/leadership issue having to do with not motivating the team to get up for the game.

Well he can buy some time by hiring a new offensive line coach at the end of the year.
Hiring a new Offensive cordinator to call the plays would just as big or bigger.

If he does none of these at the end of the year then next year these problems will still persist then Shula will have make these changes or be fired.

dabaxter said:
Maybe so. However, he did win 10 games last year with the same staff and philosophy.

Do you not correlate this with the possibility that maybe the players themselves are the issue right now and not the coaching staff? I'm not bashing the players, just reitterating a point that there's not a good leadership base with the players right now.

dabaxter said:
It's the head coach's responsibility for providing leadership and the staff's responsibility to develop it with their players.

Have you ever played a team sport? You can't just create GOOD leadership on any team. You can encourage the players that show the most promise and help them develop character, but even that takes lots and lots of time! I would challenge you to find me one person in the world that can take a 18-22 year old kid and make him into a good leader on the football team in one year's time.

Last year, the leaders on the team were Prothro and Brodie on the offense and now they're both gone. :? The argument can be made that maybe DJ Hall should be stepping up, but he's still only a Junior! These coaches are developing leaders man, but those leaders just have not hit their prime yet. Get off these guys' backs. :x

moreno_iv said:
dabaxter said:
It's the head coach's responsibility for providing leadership and the staff's responsibility to develop it with their players.

Have you ever played a team sport? You can't just create GOOD leadership on any team. You can encourage the players that show the most promise and help them develop character, but even that takes lots and lots of time! I would challenge you to find me one person in the world that can take a 18-22 year old kid and make him into a good leader on the football team in one year's time. :x

Yes I have.

Steve Spurrier, etc., etc. etc.

Ok, now that you have named one, let's see if you can prove your point. Give me some specific instances when Spurrier made a sophomore QB into a great leader on the football field. Or when he turned a junior WR into a field leader. :?:

Nice try, but your excuses for losing just don't register. It's Shula's choice to go with a sophomore. The coaches that are the best motivators seem to come out an win again and again and again.

dabaxter said:
rtauburnsucks said:
Shula is a great recruiter.......but.....he needs to stop calling any plays and let the coaches that he hired handle that.........as soon as he figures that out....the better.

I don't think that was the issue with the Duke game. It was a head coaching/leadership issue having to do with not motivating the team to get up for the game.

I have heard you make this argument more than once today and to tell you the truth it is total BS. Bottom line is that they were playing Duke. Duke was playing The University of Alabama Crimson Tide. Now you tell me which was more fired up for that game. When I was playing high school football we went into a game one night against a team that we should have beaten by 70 at least. At halftime our coach came in the locker room and peeled the paint off the walls with his speach. After that I got up and spoke to the team. We were losing at half 14-6. We came back out and lit them up to win the game 44-14. After I graduated my coach pulled me to the side at our football banquet and said this to me word for word... I remember it like it was yesterday and I still think about it when going through tough times in my life.

"David, remember that game at ____?? We were playing like crap in the first half and you gave that speach after I got done ranting and raving."

"Well, I never told anyone this, but I knew we were gonna play like that in that game. We practiced like crap, we warmed up like crap, we even ran on the field like crap. But, when you stood up and gave that speach, I knew we were gonna be a better team the rest of the season. We had a leader and it was our QB."

I asked him why he didn't do something to motivate us to play better in the first half, and he said, "What was I supposed to do?? I just felt like the best thing was to let you guys play like sh** and take you over my knee at halftime. If someone didn't take charge of that team at half and we didn't have the turnaround we did, we were gonna do nothing but run sprints the rest of the year."

He also explained to me that he knew we were gonna win. It wasn't a doubt in his mind because they just weren't conditioned enough to stay with us in the 4th quarter. However, he wasn't happy about how we played in the first half and if it hadn't ended like it did we would have had hell to pay.

I have a feeling that Coach Shula suspected that his players were overlooking Duke and were gonna come out flat. I think that Bino standing up at halftime is huge. Now, we have been through adversity and we have a leader. Leadership only sprouts more leadership. What exactly would you have Shula do to get them pumped up to play?? He can give speaches till he's blue in the face, but when you're a player it doesn't matter till someone stands up, slaps you in the face, and makes you snap out of it.

moreno_iv said:

One thing especially drives the point home hard - I believe both are starting as rookies and I've heard both mentioned as ROY candidates.

I'm not sure about Ryans since I don't follow the Texans but I would assume he is starting considering how they rave over his job so far this year. I do follow the Saints and not only is Harper starting they love him down there. Many Saints fans thought that was a horrible draft pick, but I knew better.

It shows just how much gumption we lost off of this defense.

DirtyDave said:
dabaxter said:
rtauburnsucks said:

I have heard you make this argument more than once today and to tell you the truth it is total BS. Bottom line is that they were playing Duke. Duke was playing The University of Alabama Crimson Tide. Now you tell me which was more fired up for that game. When I was playing high school football we went into a game one night against a team that we should have beaten by 70 at least. At halftime our coach came in the locker room and peeled the paint off the walls with his speach. After that I got up and spoke to the team. We were losing at half 14-6. We came back out and lit them up to win the game 44-14. After I graduated my coach pulled me to the side at our football banquet and said this to me word for word... I remember it like it was yesterday and I still think about it when going through tough times in my life.

"David, remember that game at ____?? We were playing like crap in the first half and you gave that speach after I got done ranting and raving."

"Well, I never told anyone this, but I knew we were gonna play like that in that game. We practiced like crap, we warmed up like crap, we even ran on the field like crap. But, when you stood up and gave that speach, I knew we were gonna be a better team the rest of the season. We had a leader and it was our QB."

I asked him why he didn't do something to motivate us to play better in the first half, and he said, "What was I supposed to do?? I just felt like the best thing was to let you guys play like sh** and take you over my knee at halftime. If someone didn't take charge of that team at half and we didn't have the turnaround we did, we were gonna do nothing but run sprints the rest of the year."

He also explained to me that he knew we were gonna win. It wasn't a doubt in his mind because they just weren't conditioned enough to stay with us in the 4th quarter. However, he wasn't happy about how we played in the first half and if it hadn't ended like it did we would have had hell to pay.

I have a feeling that Coach Shula suspected that his players were overlooking Duke and were gonna come out flat. I think that Bino standing up at halftime is huge. Now, we have been through adversity and we have a leader. Leadership only sprouts more leadership. What exactly would you have Shula do to get them pumped up to play?? He can give speaches till he's blue in the face, but when you're a player it doesn't matter till someone stands up, slaps you in the face, and makes you snap out of it.

Great post Dave. No matter how great a coach is, he can't MAKE the players play. It's up to them to go out there and perform. You can promote leadership, and it sounds like that's what happened with you, but you can't just make a leader appear.

Good work ;tr

DirtyDave said:
dabaxter said:
rtauburnsucks said:

Our coach was a little different. If we played poorly against weak competition, he had us out running. I specifically remember an instance when he had the team out running in the rain after a game that was barely won. He was totally obsessed with winning and getting all he could out of everyone.

I also recall my first Bama game. It was against Cincy back in '82, I believe. Bama was barely beating a team they should have been crushing. Bear had the O-line out doing starts and practicing during halftime. I'm sure it was quite embarrassing. Needless to say, they lit Cincy up in the second half.

DirtyDave said:
When I was playing high school football we went into a game one night against a team that we should have beaten by 70 at least. At halftime our coach came in the locker room and peeled the paint off the walls with his speach.

LOL

We had a game once against a team we should have smashed, but we slinked into the locker room down 24 -13 and we were lucky to have gotten the 13.

Sure enough Coach was already in there sitting in a chair with his feet propped up on a garbage can, looked over casually at us when everyone had filed in and calmly announced that if we were going to play like **** he wasn't going to bother with coaching the likes of us.

He also added as a matter of fact it wouldn't make much sense to coach us anyway since 3/4 of us wouldn't be in here with him next week....

That was it. He never said another word until the second half started. :D

Condor 63 said:
DirtyDave said:
When I was playing high school football we went into a game one night against a team that we should have beaten by 70 at least. At halftime our coach came in the locker room and peeled the paint off the walls with his speach.

LOL

We had a game once against a team we should have smashed, but we slinked into the locker room down 24 -13 and we were lucky to have gotten the 13.

Sure enough Coach was already in there sitting in a chair with his feet propped up on a garbage can, looked over casually at us when everyone had filed in and calmly announced that if we were going to play like **** he wasn't going to bother with coaching the likes of us.

He also added as a matter of fact it wouldn't make much sense to coach us anyway since 3/4 of us wouldn't be in here with him next week....

That was it. He never said another word until the second half started. :D

:D :D :lol:

Once when I was a freshman and only got to play on special teams we were playing like crap against a decent football team and getting beat. The same coach didn't even come into the locker room at half. Instead he sent one of his assistants in to let us know how pissed he was. It worked and we ended up playing much better, and coach was happier until we sat down and watched the tape on Monday. Someone should have stolen that tape because that got him fired up again and we ran for 2 hours. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom