| FTBL Dispelling a myth: The '07 signing class wasn't all Shula's

TerryP

Staff
I've seen this thrown around a few times here and there over the last few months and I think a few of the Bama Nation doesn't realize that the '07 class wasn't a situation where the majority of the players were Shula's recruits.

**** indicate they didn't make it on campus.
Bold are players that weren't even on the board under the Shula staff and Saban brought them in during his first month here.

Josh Chapman (offered grayshirt, committed to Auburn, switched by Saban for full scholly.)
Patrick Crump
Luther Davis
Jeremy Elder
Nick Fanuzzi
Tarence Farmer
Nick Gentry
Brandon Gibson
Demetrius Goode
Jeramie Griffin
Darius Hanks

Jennings Hester
Kareem Jackson
Chris Lett
Marquis Maze
Rolando McClain
Alfred McCullough
Kerry Murphy***
Michael Ricks***
Jamar Taylor***
Chris Underwood
William Vlachos
Alex Watkins
Chavis Williams

If there is one other thing you have to keep in mind, don't think for a minute that the other 9 that actually made it on campus wouldn't have done so UNLESS Saban and his staff were convinced they could contribute to the way he wanted this team built.

One other thing I remembered recently that is important to keep in mind (for those who follow recruiting) when it comes to filling needs. Several times last season Saban said if we needed two players at one position there would be no fewer than five different players on the board for that one spot. Therein, we aren't limited. We are seeing evidence of that right now with a few LB committed and still three/four more out there we are pursuing.

One of us needs to recheck Chris Underwood, for I remember him being an early commitment to the old staff.

This is my recollection because in all honesty I thought Underwood might have been a player Saban would encourage to consider other options. Underwood seemed more like a WR in a TE body - and to me did not seem to fit what I thought Saban wanted in his TEs.

Still, your premise that a goodly portion of the prior class was put together by Saban in little more than a month's time is spot on.

Chris Underwood was a Saban player all the way. Also, Demetrius Goode is a Saban guy as well. Shula may have offered Goode, but we were never in the picture until Saban took over.

For the record, Goode and Chris Underwood both had a visit Jan 26, 2007 and both committed on Jan 28, 2007.

What happened to Elliot McGaskin?

One more thing. Marquis Maze wasn't offered the by the Shula staff. He committed early to Michigan. After Saban and staff started recruiting him he switched his commitment to Bama.

Argo said:
Chris Underwood was a Saban player all the way. Also, Demetrius Goode is a Saban guy as well. Shula may have offered Goode, but we were never in the picture until Saban took over.

For the record, Goode and Chris Underwood both had a visit Jan 26, 2007 and both committed on Jan 28, 2007.

Thanks. Guess I was the one with the faulty memory on Underwood.

alagator said:
Argo said:

Thanks. Guess I was the one with the faulty memory on Underwood.

5 lashes with a wet noodle.

I have been one of the ones saying that this years clases will be CNS first full recruiting class. Last year he did get several kids to committ to Bama after he arrived but the majority of the signees were from CMS and his staff. Saban did not have a lot of time to get the type of players he wanted but this year he does with a full year in T'town under his belt. I think all of us will be very happy come signing day for the Tide.

alabama mike said:
I have been one of the ones saying that this years clases will be CNS first full recruiting class. Last year he did get several kids to committ to Bama after he arrived but the majority of the signees were from CMS and his staff. Saban did not have a lot of time to get the type of players he wanted but this year he does with a full year in T'town under his belt. I think all of us will be very happy come signing day for the Tide.

How does 12 of 24 lead to a majority? How does 12 of 21 on (that made it on campus) lead to a majority?

Fact of the matter is, it was the majority of Saban's guys that closed the recruits...

Josh Chapman Kevin Steele
Patrick Crump Charlie Harbison
Luther Davis Lance Thompson
Jeremy Elder Kirby Smart
Nick Fanuzzi Major Applewhite
Tarence Farmer Major Applewhite
Nick Gentry David Turner
Brandon Gibson Lance Thompson
Demetrius Goode Kirby Smart
Jeramie Griffin Ron Middleton
Darius Hanks Burton Burns
Jennings Hester Kirby Smart
Kareem Jackson Burton Burns
Chris Lett Bob Connelly
Marquis Maze Kevin Steele
Rolando McClain -
Alfred McCullough Chris Ball
Kerry Murphy Kevin Steele
Michael Ricks -
Jamar Taylor Chris Ball
Chris Underwood Kevin Steele
William Vlachos Kevin Steele
Alex Watkins Sparky Woods
Chavis Williams Kevin Steele

Still Saban honored the commitments for CMS and he did not get the quality of players he would if he had more time to recruit. I bet half of the class would not have been offerred in a 'normal' recruiting season if Saban had been in charge for the entire process. :D

Back
Top Bottom