| CURRENT EVENTS Crypto currency

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Ok, I'm admittedly an idiot about the stuff. Had a co-worker that tried to explain Bitcoin to me back in 2016 and encouraged me to invest in it then. I didn't, partly because the more he tried to explain it, the more lost I got. Obviously, it has really blown up since then. Is this stuff a viable long term (or short term?) investment? Or has the train left the station? I know that's sorta asking for a simple answer to a complex question... just looking for thoughts from those who have researched it and jumped into the crypto pool. And keep in mind, that if you get into the weeds explaining something about it, pretend I'm a 3rd grader.

Many people have gotten rich off of things I don't understand, and this is one of them. If bitcoin was priced as a currency, it'd be worth about $1,500 - the rest is market belief - but you could argue a good portion of the markets in general are market belief and not financial underpinnings.

Crypto is a form of barter and a form of investment. This is not dissimilar from lots of other things around, pork bellies are sold as food, traded between people for other goods, and are part of an investment strategy.

All crypto is based off something similar. Whomever creates the crypto determines how much will exist (this can change in the future if they want in many cases). Then they set the rules for how new ones will be created (proof of work vs proof of stake). Then they release it to the world. If enough people like the coin then at some point it will get listed on an exchange. That is crucial for a coin that wants to make it to the big time.

Not all coins are useful for anything other than trading. Ones like Cardano, Bitcoin, Dogecoin, and Ethereum are accepted by some companies for payment of real goods since they are established, but there are a lot of people who will accept many more for their goods.

A Crypto wallet is an electronic file, like a database, that contains your crypto coins. If you lose it or forget how to get into yours (ie password), the coins are gone until it is found or the password is remembered. There are probably a few billion dollars in Bitcoin sitting in trash dumps that can never be recovered at this point.

When you send someone money, they will give you their wallet address. You would go to whatever you use to send and receive coins and enter their address and how much of what type to send. You will be charged a percentage. The coin moves only when so many other wallets have verified that you wanted that money to go to that wallet. Every transaction is logged in multiple places and verified prior to actually happening. That has created a lot of problems as things like Bitcoin sometimes took 30-45 minutes to validate transactions, kind of hard to work with when you are selling someone something in person and have to make them hang around until it validates.

I have money in crypto and it is way too volatile for me to think it is a good investment for large sums. Right now taxation is almost nil on it, but it is coming soon. And once that happens things will change. Another thing to remember is that some of these are flat out scams. age and listing on exchanges such as Coinbase or Binance are a good indicator of which are not flat out scams.

You want good long-term choices, then go Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Cardano. Even BNB(Binance Coin) is probably a good choice because it is used by the Binance market to pay fees on transactions, meaning it has circulation and real use. You want something to play with and maybe make or lose money? Dogecoin is really cheap (14 cents at the moment) but probably will rise to around 30-40 cents in the next year. Cardano is around $1.02 right now and probably will hit $2-2.50 this year. Markets are in a crash right now, per the usual start of year junk, so it may drop before it comes back up.

Link to the Top 100 coins at the moment Today's Top 100 Crypto Coins Prices And Data | CoinMarketCap

Crypto is much like buying a sack of farts. It seems real but you don’t see anything. About to be outlawed when the US turns the $ into crypto. A cashless society is a slave society. Becomes very easy to lose all of your “money” when someone like the Canadian PM decides to confiscate assets of those that disagree.

BTW: We just ran a test and 1 digital $ transacted 2 million times in under 2 sec I think. It’s coming.

Crypto is much like buying a sack of farts. It seems real but you don’t see anything. About to be outlawed when the US turns the $ into crypto. A cashless society is a slave society. Becomes very easy to lose all of your “money” when someone like the Canadian PM decides to confiscate assets of those that disagree.

BTW: We just ran a test and 1 digital $ transacted 2 million times in under 2 sec I think. It’s coming.
I think government are going to treat them like speculative investments instead of banning them altogether. I doubt they could actually ban them anyway, just drive them back underground where they started. The end effect will be similar though as the draw of crypto is not being traced and the markets having to trace and issue tax information for everyone who buys and sells will stifle a lot of the gains. Will they still be used for transactions between people? Yep, just like cash now. But cashing out will become harder as you will have to prove what you paid for it in order to not be taxed on the whole value.

Ok, I'm admittedly an idiot about the stuff. Had a co-worker that tried to explain Bitcoin to me back in 2016 and encouraged me to invest in it then. I didn't, partly because the more he tried to explain it, the more lost I got. Obviously, it has really blown up since then. Is this stuff a viable long term (or short term?) investment? Or has the train left the station? I know that's sorta asking for a simple answer to a complex question... just looking for thoughts from those who have researched it and jumped into the crypto pool. And keep in mind, that if you get into the weeds explaining something about it, pretend I'm a 3rd grader.
This is what I would say. Look around ask yourself, how many things am I financing (car, furniture, cell phone, credit cards). Until you're in a situation where you're not renting products from other people any type of crypto will be gamble for you. Once you get out of debt you will have a different outlook on crypto and a better understanding of it.

Let's not even talk about NFT. Where someone sells you a receipt that shows you are the sole owner of a link that leads to a picture. You don't own the picture, just the link, and you can't do anything but be the proud owner of that link. They are mostly used to launder money (you buy the NFT from yourself using illegal money converted to crypto), as payment methods for other illegal activities (I give you crypto for your NFT and you give me 500 kilos of cocaine), or to separate gullible people from their money (the NFL sold them to the public last season as did Melania Trump who was caught buying some from herself to drive the price up).

Back
Top Bottom