| FTBL Could App State have beat Alabama?

No! Bama lined up on Saturday and just out “physicaled” their lesser opponent and made sure they brought home a victory. Michigan tried to get all cute on Saturday and ended up getting bit in arse.

If App. State played Michigan 100 times, they would not beat them twice. So, no.

That's what makes this whole thing so fun. This impossible, improbable thing actually happened.

It's funny, though, because it has created this "upset high" where everybody is looking for the next big upset. Some idiots are even predicting Troy to upset Florida. :lol:

I think AU fans are worried more about USF than we would be if App. State had not won. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, because we need to be worried right now!

We're kidding ourselves if we think it's impossible to lose to a team we should beat every time. Although Central Florida, Louisiana Tech and Northern Illinois are 1-A teams, they are each reminders that you can never take teams for granted.

This is America and we have always had a love for the underdog. Its funny how if Michigan had won this game would have already been forgotten, but since App. State won it will always be remembered.

Try to be objective. Of course they possibly could have beaten us. Anythings possible. We still don't really know much about our team since we've only played a high school team in western carolina. App state has been the winner of their division twice recently. They're much better than Western Carolina.

PS - I don't think they would have beat us though. :)

Besides, the funny thing is how Appalachian State won that game at THE BIG HOUSE. They made a FG in the last minute, and the upset just were there, but Henne completed a deep throw to Mario Manningham to the 20 yard line in the last seconds, everybody knew ASU historical upset simply was over, but they blocked that FG, just amazing!. I think is difficult to know what could have happened if we had faced against them that night... :roll:

...But, with coach Saban, we would have given'em hell for sure. :D

RTR,

Hard question to answer. Michigan was sorely unprepared for the Mountaineers. Alabama was well prepared for West Carolina High. Saban had them ready to play, as is his reputation.

However, Saban has gotten beaten by lesser teams in the past, as well as getting blown out by equal or slightly better teams.

Given what we know about Saturday's effort and prep, I would have to say no.

But it is fun to speculate. So I'll conclude with a strong maybe.

I'm just glad we didn't play them.

You know Tig, they almost beat Auburn back in '98 or '99. It took the last play of the game (a long pass play for a TD) for AU to win.

They had AU's number ALL night long yet ended up losing in the end...hmmm, that sounds familiar. :D

Tigrinum Major said:
Hard question to answer. Michigan was sorely unprepared for the Mountaineers. Alabama was well prepared for West Carolina High. Saban had them ready to play, as is his reputation.

However, Saban has gotten beaten by lesser teams in the past, as well as getting blown out by equal or slightly better teams.

So you're sayin' there's a chance!

dumbdumber_02.jpg

BamaJay73 said:
Tigrinum Major said:

So you're sayin' there's a chance!

dumbdumber_02.jpg

:D

People seem to be missing what I think is one of the most important aspects of this upset. Appy state had won the last 2 championships in 1-AA. This is a team that knows how to win and they know how to step up and put a game away. Clearly Michigan has more talent, but not so much more that it's a guaranteed blowout. When the game stayed close and Appy state had a chance to make a few plays and win, they did. I would imagine they could have done the same against any team that let them stay that close.

the 1 AA championship the last two years was held in the small stadium of the U Tennessee at Chattanooga Mocs and the beat Massachusetts and Northern Iowa in good games. Furman also recently won the championship. It's great that they won, but it was not as big of an accomplishment as beating Michigan. In other words, any team in the top 25 should have no problem beating any 1 AA team. It should not even be close against the # 5 team in the nation. This was one of the biggest upsets in sports history.

With scholarship limits being what they are a good 1AA program can give a 1A program that doesn't take them seriously more than it bargained for. I remember in the nineties Georgia Southern giving some pretty good FSU teams very difficult games.

I do think that because of what happened to Michigan every 1A school that plays a 1AA school this year will be preparing a lot harder.

BamaDelta said:
I'm just glad we didn't play them.

You know Tig, they almost beat Auburn back in '98 or '99. It took the last play of the game (a long pass play for a TD) for AU to win.

They had AU's number ALL night long yet ended up losing in the end...hmmm, that sounds familiar. :D
That is true. It was '99. Auburn was coming off a 3-8 season, not ranked Number 5 in the nation.

Different situation. Auburn was rebuilding and still beat the Mountaineers. Michigan was three games removed from the game of the century and choked on their own expectations. D1AA teams should NEVAH beat a D1 team.

Back
Top Bottom