| FTBL Could App State have beat Alabama?

Tigrinum Major said:
BamaDelta said:
I'm just glad we didn't play them.

You know Tig, they almost beat Auburn back in '98 or '99. It took the last play of the game (a long pass play for a TD) for AU to win.

They had AU's number ALL night long yet ended up losing in the end...hmmm, that sounds familiar. :D
That is true. It was '99. Auburn was coming off a 3-8 season, not ranked Number 5 in the nation.

Different situation. Auburn was rebuilding and still beat the Mountaineers. Michigan was three games removed from the game of the century and choked on their own expectations. D1AA teams should NEVAH beat a D1 team.

Weak 1-A teams lose to 1-AA schools, it just doesn't make the headlines. It happened three times in week one of last season.

RTR,

Tim

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I'm kinda over this. OK, Michigan got beat by App. State. Notre Dame got smoked, and UT lost to a Pac-10 team. You don't hear much about the latter two.

I guess I'm a tiny bit sympathetic because we had some pretty bad losses in the last decade too. I just hope we're still not talking about this game at the end of the year. :roll:

Proud Tiger said:
Taking a slight turn here, what do Bama fans consider to be the biggest upset loss ever for the football team?

Take your pick...La. Tech, Central Florida, Northern Illinois. Actually I can kind of handle La. Tech now because of Tim Rattay and what happened the rest of '99 (SEC champions).

Central Florida at Homecoming did Mike Dubose in for good reason, and Northern Illinois showed us that we had huge problems at the time.

People seem to be missing what I think is one of the most important aspects of this upset. Appy state had won the last 2 championships in 1-AA. This is a team that knows how to win and they know how to step up and put a game away. Clearly Michigan has more talent, but not so much more that it's a guaranteed blowout. When the game stayed close and Appy state had a chance to make a few plays and win, they did. I would imagine they could have done the same against any team that let them stay that close.
I think Foshman hit it on the head. It was a perfect storm....Appy state is capable of beating many big name schools this year. I would surprised if they lose a game this year to anyone.

Tigrinum Major said:
It Takes Eleven said:
Weak 1-A teams lose to 1-AA schools, it just doesn't make the headlines. It happened three times in week one of last season.

I didn't say it never happened, I said it never SHOULD happen.

Why not?

Because they have less money?

Because they have fewer scholarships?

Just because of financial means? Or is there something else?

I've seen many D1-AA athletes who were better athletes than D1 players. Heck, I've seen some D2 athletes who were better athletes. A lot of guys who I've seen that fit in that category are guys who couldn't make the grades or who were hurt their senior seasons and fell under the radar so to speak.

BigAl said:
Its hard to say at this point but i would hope not.
Appalachian St. looks a little like Miami to me. Their offense and execution are crisp.
Michigan seemed to roll over after the 28-14 score.

Outlaw said:
Why not?

I've seen many D1-AA athletes who were better athletes than D1 players. Heck, I've seen some D2 athletes who were better athletes. A lot of guys who I've seen that fit in that category are guys who couldn't make the grades or who were hurt their senior seasons and fell under the radar so to speak.

The collective talent is usually less, with fewer overall resources. One or three players on a football team aren't going to make the difference.

Tigrinum Major said:
Mr L E Phant said:
BigAl said:
Its hard to say at this point but i would hope not.
Appalachian St. looks a little like Miami to me. Their offense and execution are crisp.
Michigan seemed to roll over after the 28-14 score.

Michigan came back and took the lead. Rolled over? You're out of touch with reality.

Dang, someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning. What's wrong with you Tig? You haven't even lost to USF yet! :wink:

Seriously, how do you like your matchup this weekend? I can't tell if you guys, BAMA or UT (vs USM) have the worst "trap" game this week. Could be interesting. :?

bamafan4ever said:
Dang, someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning. What's wrong with you Tig? You haven't even lost to USF yet! :wink:

Seriously, how do you like your matchup this weekend? I can't tell if you guys, BAMA or UT (vs USM) have the worst "trap" game this week. Could be interesting. :?

People who pull stuff out of their ass and pass it off as gospel tend to bring out the worst in me.

Hard to say about USF. I don't know that much about them, to be quite honest. Nor about my own team. I like our defense, with the exception of DBs that need to work on their tackling. The offense? We need some work. Lester will probably not be back this week (if at all), so we will have young, talented backs to carry the load. The offensive line is so inexperienced, but they hustle. Well, most of them do. Ziemba is a man, but he is not experienced enough against this type of competition yet. He'll miss an assignment, but then he'll go looking for someone in a white jersey to hit. I like him.

Outlaw said:
Tigrinum Major said:
It Takes Eleven said:

I didn't say it never happened, I said it never SHOULD happen.

Why not?

D1AA schools can't give as many scholarships for 1 reason. I think that their limit is 65 as opposed to 85 for 1A schools. Their programs are not as high profile because the schools are smaller and usually less prominent athletically, and thus they don't attract the alumni contributions that D1A schools get. Along these lines, I remember a story about Georgia Southern's legendary coach, Erskine Russell. Someone asked him if he cheated in recruiting. His response was "No, we don't cheat because you have to have money to cheat and we don't have any."

Generally these schools get the left over athletes that the 1A schools don't want, such as the guy who is a good player but small for his position, or if he is big, he is a little too slow for the 1A level. App State's win is a testimony that there are some very good football players at the 1AA level.

Back
Top Bottom