| LIFE Construction on my street....(now with pics and a video)

sk33tr

el jefe
right in front of my house. and it's driving me absolutely batty. they're replacing all the sewer lines and running new ones in certain places. so they're having to dig up the road....ALL THE WAY DOWN MY ROAD!

first, they were starting about 5:30/6:00 in the morning. and they would work until 7:00/7:30 in the evening. BUT, they would only do this monday - wednesday. on thursday, they would stop around noon so they could all drive home for the weekend. and where's home? kentucky!

the thing is, they weren't supposed to be starting before 7:00 am....as it's stated in the contract. and they're not supposed to be working that late in the day. again, as stated in the contract. also, they said they weren't going to block anyone's driveway. yet here we are...me having to park across the street, in back of my neighbor's house (he has a secondary driveway back there) so i'll be able to go to work.

what if there's a fire or other emergency? a firetruck or ambulance won't be able to get anywhere near my house to do anything. also, these dumb-fucks look like they have no clue what the fuck they're doing. and they're slow as hell. it took them almost 2 goddamn weeks to go about 60 feet. so who knows how long it will take them to go almost 1/4 mile to the other end of my street.

they also called the cops and told them my mom came out there cussing at them and threatening them. which is a damn lie. she went out there to ask them to move a piece of equipment so i could get out of the driveway. the guy on one of their excavators (they have 3) started yelling something at her and didn't let her finish her sentence. so she came back in the house. a few minutes later, the cops showed up and came to the door and asked my mom what happened. after she told them, the cops sat in my neighbor's driveway for most of the day. several large construction guys are apparently scared of a 5'3", 71-year-old lady with arthritis and bad knees.

so if you ever see CLEARY CONSTRUCTION headed your way, just know that they'll take forever to do what they need to do and most likely won't know what they fuck they're doing.

i was thinking more along the lines of poking holes in the fuel lines and hydraulic lines.

So you want it to take longer? Call the city and inquire about start/stop times. At the end of the day, let the city be the bad guy in all of this.

I'd walk over to the guys and have a conversation with them about the right way to talk to an elder.

So you want it to take longer? Call the city and inquire about start/stop times. At the end of the day, let the city be the bad guy in all of this.

I'd walk over to the guys and have a conversation with them about the right way to talk to an elder.

we did (well, we called the county). they're not supposed to start until 7:00 am and only work until about 5:00 pm. and with it being a county thing, we've called the county commissioner....not that anything will get done because this county is the absolute worst about not doing things that doesn't put money in their collective pockets.

one question i have is "what if there's a fire or ems needs to get through?" the firetrucks couldn't get near our house; and the emts would have to run about 150 feet through a construction zone to get to the house. but hey, as long as the county gets to spend money on something that probably wasn't needed, i guess we're ok.

things like this is one of the reasons i want to buy about 50 acres out in the country, somewhere.

Not that bad but, the phone company is laying phone line down. Came right thought the yard and driveway.

When I was building the lake place, Spire (Alagasco's acquirer) paid a contractor to burrow under the street, and then use an excavator to trench 425 feet to my house, no charge to me. The foreman ran the excavator and accidentally cut a pretty good root on a pecan tree near the end of the house, showed it to me and apologized, "we usually try to run it under large roots like that". I told him, "it's a tree, it will live or it will die", and he exhaled and said most of the old retired folks in my neighborhood were as bad as working in Mountain Brook. Later in the day, my concrete finisher was due to show to move some things around for a pour, and his dilapidated skid steer was on the fritz. My gas guy asked, can I keep my truck and trailer in your yard until Monday so I don't have to take it back to Bham and get my car? I said no problem. He said, "the excavator is full of fuel, the key is in it, and it's sitting at the end of the trailer. Please make sure it's back there on Monday morning." Wouldn't take a dime, just happy to not have to drive round trip or have a complaining customer. I had my concrete guy work Friday evening and all day Saturday (and I played with it a bit) moving everything we needed for a Monday pour. He saved me $400 or so in equipment rental, and I got to have fun with it.

Your guys sound like jerks, but they're working to make a living. An olive branch might be in order so they don't "accidentally" hook up your sewer line wrong.

RTR,

Tim

Years ago, just before we moved to Texas from SoCal, we had some neighbors in the late 40's to mid 50's that loved to listen to their radio really loud. They'd crank the radio inside and sit outside and listen to it. Used to piss me off so bad. I had numerous conversations, they were usually drunk and just didn't give shit.

I mentioned this to one of the guys at work who was an electrician. He said I could get a device that would take out all electrical devices plugged into the walls. I opted not to go this far as there were others who would also be impacted in our small apartment complex.

Armed with my NAD receiver, B&W speakers and some music I figured they wouldn't like, I had enough. I move the speakers up against the wall we shared and cranked it up, walked down into the garage and drove off for a few hours.

Came back home, never had a problem with these people again. Funny, try to be nice and deal with it the right way you get nowhere, take the upper hand and shit gets solved.

@It Takes Eleven I think you took what I'm saying here wrong. I wasn't complaining It may have sounded that way, but I wasn't! This may get me back with a land line and maybe just maybe cable!

Oh no, I didn't think you were complaining at all. I was just sharing my story, everyone has a job to do, some guys roll in with an agenda or a chip on their shoulder, and just a little give and take and things smooth out.

Some men, though, you just can't reach...

here's some pics.....

qrXNkqf.jpg

2eIfokI.jpg

WpImw4g.jpg

this thing is at least 9 feet long. i was across the street when i took this pic
fN8Zj07.jpg

mgC7t3t.jpg

yzadYYF.jpg

Zbkqu79.jpg

hj81wTO.jpg

au1pFL0.jpg

wcf8XNy.jpg

jStsGu3.jpg

all the pics where you're looking down in a hole, the shallowest one is about 12 feet. the others are about 25 feet and 30 feet deep. here's a link to a video i took. this is what i hear most of the day. and it wakes me up almost every morning.

that damn things shakes the entire house. stuff on my walls rattles, the windows rattle.....it's rather annoying when you're trying to sleep cause you work late.

Back
Top Bottom