| FTBL Coaching Staff

Good stuff, I'm enjoying the back and forth here.

Personally, I thought Woods was the best assistant, other than Kines, on Shula's staff, but like Gator said... that isn't saying too terribly much. I thought he did a good job though, considering I perceived him to be handcuffed... partly by the effeminate O-Line that we had under Connelly and partly by Shula's stubbornness.

As far as Dabo, dude is a hellacious recruiter, but I've never been impressed by his on-the-field coaching. I had a conversation via PM with a poster during the OC search a couple of weeks ago about this very topic...

All that said, I'll let you guys back in the ring! :D

Porterhouse said:

Personally, I thought Woods was the best assistant, other than Kines, on Shula's staff, but like Gator said... that isn't saying too terribly much. I thought he did a good job though, considering I perceived him to be handcuffed... partly by the effeminate O-Line that we had under Connelly and partly by Shula's stubbornness.

As far as Dabo, dude is a hellacious recruiter, but I've never been impressed by his on-the-field coaching. I had a conversation via PM with a poster during the OC search a couple of weeks ago about this very topic...

How should I feel a conversation is entertaining you this afternoon Porter? Hell, I think one of the Star Wars movies are on this afternoon. :lol: :wink:

Gator, You are right, I do live in SC and am surrounded with all of this Clemson/USCe BS all the time. However, that's not what I'm basing my opinion on with Dabo.

Year in and out I see good production numbers out of their WR group. I don't see a drop off even with the changing of names. (bringing DJ into this conversation is an area I can't and won't go in...he's not *high* on my respect list, at all.)

I do find it interesting you mention the blocking roles of their WR's. In cases where that would come into play it hasn't dampened their RB results, at all.

It just looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on both of these subjects. I like Sparky, a lot. He was well respected from the HS coaches in the area based on his coaching abilities and the relationships he developed with them over the years.

One does have to wonder if a HC job at USCe and a coordinator role at MSU...then, moving to an Asst. Coach / RB coach at Bama is moving down the provebial ladder. ;)

One another hand, we beat LSU in basketball today...don't see that as a great accomplishment.

TerryP said:
Porterhouse said:

How should I feel a conversation is entertaining you this afternoon Porter? Hell, I think one of the Star Wars movies are on this afternoon. :lol: :wink:

Gator, You are right, I do live in SC and am surrounded with all of this Clemson/USCe BS all the time. However, that's not what I'm basing my opinion on with Dabo.

Year in and out I see good production numbers out of their WR group. I don't see a drop off even with the changing of names. (bringing DJ into this conversation is an area I can't and won't go in...he's not *high* on my respect list, at all.)

I do find it interesting you mention the blocking roles of their WR's. In cases where that would come into play it hasn't dampened their RB results, at all.

It just looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on both of these subjects. I like Sparky, a lot. He was well respected from the HS coaches in the area based on his coaching abilities and the relationships he developed with them over the years.

One does have to wonder if a HC job at USCe and a coordinator role at MSU...then, moving to an Asst. Coach / RB coach at Bama is moving down the provebial ladder. ;)

One another hand, we beat LSU in basketball today...don't see that as a great accomplishment.

TerryP,
Where in South Carolina do you live?

Porterhouse said:

Let the record show that was me, and I didn't want him as a OC just to clarify :lol: . I was curious as to why he didn't want to return to Bama however. I was thinking we might be looking at him for another job down the road, which is possible.

But like Porter was saying, "Ding, Ding". :D

Tider 27 said:
Porterhouse said:

Let the record show that was me, and I didn't want him as a OC just to clarify :lol: . I was curious as to why he didn't want to return to Bama however. I was thinking we might be looking at him for another job down the road, which is possible.

But like Porter was saying, "Ding, Ding". :D

I know he's been contacted a few times about returning. Once, a few years ago but was dealing with family issues (wife sick.) Then, when the option was explored last year it came down to what I mentioned earlier. He knew what kind of hours and work he was going to have to put it and didn't want to put himself in that situation. That's not a slam on Dabo, but what Saban requires just doesn't fit with some coaches out there.

I follow what Clemson is doing not as a fan of their program, but out of curiosity of how Dabo is doing. Along with that, there are a few players that are from the state that end up there. Glad to see them do well...heck, we cross paths on recruits a bit as well.

Im with Gator........

There wasnt a good coach on the entire Shula staff IMO (yes im including Kines)

I havent paid enough attention to Clemson (in depth) to really give an opinion on Dabos coaching ability.
I will say, Ive never heard any other school speak of Dabo when mentioning a coaching vacancy.

Gator pegged the whole Saban/Stallings deal. Have you ever heard a coach badmouth one of his own?

elbatider said:
I don't want to lose Steele no more than anyone of you but let's face it, a head coaching job will come along for him soon. I just hope it is not when we have the next Cornelius Bennett or Derrick Thomas verbal that goes with him. He is one heck of a recruiter and those efforts maybe what hurts us the most when he goes.

He is but , Thompson is our "Ace" . :)

TideOutsider said:
I would hate to lose Steele, no doubt, but don't kid yourself - Nick Saban IS the defensive Coordinator. He's the Offensive Coordinator as well, and I'm ok with that too. We need to get used to the fact that we will have coaching changes every year - the objective is to keep Saban!

Roll Tide!

Coach Saban is the Head Coach. Coach Steele is the DC. I'm not sure where you're getting your information but it's way off the mark.

Was that an attempt at a joke?

Back
Top Bottom