| FTBL Chow = legs

Just heard he was making around $1.5 Mil with the Titans. I don't see him making anywhere close to that at any college job. I see him going to another NFL gig.

Bama Bo said:
Just heard he was making around $1.5 Mil with the Titans. I don't see him making anywhere close to that at any college job. I see him going to another NFL gig.

Agreed. He'll have several job offers within next week, all in the NFL. He'll probably wait until next week at the NFL Job Fair (Senior Bowl week), then choose his best offer/option.

Bama Bo said:

But what was he making at USC? Has it been that long since he was in the college ranks? Or am I wrong about that? Saban took a pay cut to come back although he makes four million dollars......

I could be wrong about all of the above, I am too lazy to research information.

Birdman37 said:
i understand his history but it aint like hes had a wonderful offense in the NFL (tho u could lay alot of blame at no WRs and Vince Young sucks). if Major leaves he could be a good replacement, but i would guess that it means the spread that Major wanted to use would be gone too. wouldnt be good for JP imo, having to learn ANOTHER offense.

Ok... ;sus

Bama1966 said:
With Garrett looking at Baltimore, I would expect Chow to be looked at by the Dallas Cowboys. IMHO

The contact may have been for consultation and nothing else...or even to gauge interest. Time will tell.

Outlaw said:
Birdman37 said:
i understand his history but it aint like hes had a wonderful offense in the NFL (tho u could lay alot of blame at no WRs and Vince Young sucks). if Major leaves he could be a good replacement, but i would guess that it means the spread that Major wanted to use would be gone too. wouldnt be good for JP imo, having to learn ANOTHER offense.

Ok... ;sus

9 TD, 17 INT and god knows how many fumbles. he is overrated as hell.

Bama1966 said:
Big_Fan said:
Bama1966 said:
With Garrett looking at Baltimore, I would expect Chow to be looked at by the Dallas Cowboys. IMHO

The contact may have been for consultation and nothing else...or even to gauge interest. Time will tell.
I wouldnt mind Chow, thats for sure.

There are a number of names floating around - just like there was when Saban hired other assistants. I honestly think the man leaks multiple names in order to confuse the trail.

The Tuscaloosa News article published this evening that says Major is expected to take the Texas position makes a point to state where the UA jet was today...however it does not mention that the Bryant Jet being in Nashville this morning. The article does mention a number of names including:

Brohm
Clements
Gailey
and yes,
Chow.

http://tidesports.com/article/20080115/TS10/591589503/1011

My initial impressions are that this does not feel like it will happen. Bama's staff is the highest in the SEC, with Major making 250K vice Chows 1.5million. I don't think calling that a pay cut would even be an accurate description...who among us could accept a six-fold reduction in our salary? Next, Saban is not an easy man to work for. The chances that Chow, in his 60s, would be such a hard-charger is slim. Finally, I question if Chow's life experiences (Hawaii & L.A.) make him the kind of guy who rolls into a small deep south college town and says "this feels like home" (his loss ;tr ).

That said, I would love to have him if CNS feels that he is a good fit.

LBS said:
My initial impressions are that this does not feel like it will happen. Bama's staff is the highest in the SEC, with Major making 250K vice Chows 1.5million. I don't think calling that a pay cut would even be an accurate description...who among us could accept a six-fold reduction in our salary? Next, Saban is not an easy man to work for. The chances that Chow, in his 60s, would be such a hard-charger is slim. Finally, I question if Chow's life experiences (Hawaii & L.A.) make him the kind of guy who rolls into a small deep south college town and says "this feels like home" (his loss ;tr ).

That said, I would love to have him if CNS feels that he is a good fit.

Not that I think it'll happen, but I don't think the salary disparity would be that much. Applewhite's salary was for an inexperienced OC. I would think that we'd pay in the neighborhood of $600,000 to $800,000 a year for an established, name OC, perhaps more.

RTR,

Tim

I thought about Gailey and to me, Gailey to Dallas makes the most sense. He is still well thought of as an OC within the NFL and by Jerry Jones.

With Chow, I don’t think the numbers to consider are $250K vs. $1.5 mil but rather $250K vs. zero. I just don’t see him landing another NFL OC job. Three years in the NFL and his offense never finished in the top 15 in Total offense and two of the three years they were in the bottom third of the league. That’s not a good track record. A lot of coaches who have moved from college to the NFL recently have had two or three bad seasons and were never offered another NFL job.

Chow has chased a lot of College head coaching jobs the last couple of years and I think that is where he wants to be. If that is true, his best move would be to get back into the college game, start networking and recruiting again, and try to land that HC job. I think his best move is to be OC at Bama, UCLA, or Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom