| FTBL Caleb Williams transferring to USC says a lot about Lincoln Riley. He 3825'd OU.

Gah, you just had to go there. I was doing everything I could not to add Kirby. I didn't add him honestly because he's 1 in like 6 against Alabama. Urban was closer to .500 as is Dabo.

I agree with you that USC couldn't have done any better. There is no doubt there. I think Riley will recruit very well there. I just don't like the way he has handled this whole transfer and recruiting deal.

As far as Hurts goes, I personally feel he just got better with age. He was VERY accurate when he came in for Tua in the SEC Championship game. He was on the move and putting the ball exactly where it needed to be. I honestly feel it was probably the competition he was playing and how they stacked up defensively at Oklahoma that allowed him to look even better. Hurts is a talent, no doubt, but I cannot see Riley being the reason he was where he was in that short of a time period. He was thrust into a starting role as a True Freshman and left the field with the lead in the Natty. He struggled his Sophomore year. I think a lot of that was getting away from being a runner and learning to trust his arm 20-30 times a game whereas he has never ever had to do that because his legs gave him everything he needed at the high school level and as a Freshman when there was no scouting report on him. I think he just had more time to settle in and learn to trust his abilities as a passer that made him improve. Just my two cents though on that one.
For whatever reason... Maybe youth as you've mentioned... But he wasn't good at anticipating throws at UA. Had a little Jake Coker in him.. Had to see it open before throwing it open. The run to the right sideline when pressured was a glitch in his computer.

Regardless, he looked great at Oklahoma and better than I personally ever thought he could.

For whatever reason... Maybe youth as you've mentioned... But he wasn't good at anticipating throws at UA. Had a little Jake Coker in him.. Had to see it open before throwing it open. The run to the right sideline when pressured was a glitch in his computer.

Regardless, he looked great at Oklahoma and better than I personally ever thought he could.
And now a starter in nfl as a QB....thats no easy task...
At bama i never saw that potential....I think the change of schools,league, and coaching had a lot to do with development

I'm not comparing them against each other, I'm comparing their situations to where they followed a very successful coach and were gifted a well oiled program. Saban came in and built LSU, he came in and built Alabama. Two completely different abilities to be handed over the keys and grinding the keys. We have yet to see if he can build a team on both sides of the ball. He has an embarrassment of riches at USC so it won't even be difficult, but we will still have to see if he can handle the spotlight in a part of the country where Hollywood dominates and his job is more about winning National Championships rather than Conference Championships. He never made a Natty at Oklahoma and got smoked in the Playoffs he did make, outside of the Georgia game. He can dominate the Big 12 and Pac-12 all day long, but in the whole scheme of things those two conferences have done absolute zero against the true power conferences.

Urban and Dabo both saw success against the domination of Saban, so I don't think these two should get a pass.
Ok have to point out a couple of things not to be a pain but just present my view. If by built bama based on that timeframe and us being down yes I agree but Bama has been playing football at a high level for many decades. I give credit to Saban for getting us out of the post sanction days but he isn't the only coach to do it at Bama.

As for the Urban and Dabo comments, I would rephrase to saw limited or some success. Saban got his share from them but they did better than most for sure.

In the follow up post you mentioned Smart, with the results on the field he has been more competitive than most but still only able to win one with his best team ever and an injured Bama team (more than one person like Colt, we are talking about multiple play makers).

And now a starter in nfl as a QB....thats no easy task...
At bama i never saw that potential....I think the change of schools,league, and coaching had a lot to do with development
Yep you do not make it to the NFL and then as a starter if there isn't something there. Certainly not all Riley because he spent more time at Bama but Riley didn't hurt him any. Give him a little credit in developing him.

Ok have to point out a couple of things not to be a pain but just present my view. If by built bama based on that timeframe and us being down yes I agree but Bama has been playing football at a high level for many decades. I give credit to Saban for getting us out of the post sanction days but he isn't the only coach to do it at Bama.

As for the Urban and Dabo comments, I would rephrase to saw limited or some success. Saban got his share from them but they did better than most for sure.

In the follow up post you mentioned Smart, with the results on the field he has been more competitive than most but still only able to win one with his best team ever and an injured Bama team (more than one person like Colt, we are talking about multiple play makers).

Saban righted the ship. Stallings was pretty good, but it's middle of the road after him until Saban came in. Before Stallings and after Bear wasn't anything special. Saban has taken Alabama to a level that no one could have expected and has won more, quicker than anyone else. I'd say he pulled a once proud program that had fallen like Tennessee, Texas, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, and others to a new level never seen before. Bear won six Championships in an eighteen year span and in twenty-five years in the program. Saban has won six in thirteen years and in a fifteen year span with Alabama.

I know you'll tout all of everything that ever happened before Saban as if it made his job easier or magic fairy dust within the program paved the way or however you'll put it, but in a time where there are more restrictions, the facilities race, money, and everything else, Saban is the reason Alabama is where it is. In this day and age, Saban's effort at Alabama is unlike anything we've seen anywhere.

Saban is the reason Alabama is where it is. In this day and age, Saban's effort at Alabama is unlike anything we've seen anywhere.
Saban is great and maybe the greatest ever and deserves every accolade he has been given but we will still play football when he retires and win more championships just like we did before he came. Bama is not UGA or other historically average programs. Do you know even in the down years bama had 10 win seasons even with the less than stellar coaches? You want to say I believe in fairy dust but I do not. It is the confidence created by hard work, great players/coaches and a record/history of success that never accepts mediocrity. A confidence by the fans and more importantly the team.

We are good BamaFan334 but I just believe in what I have seen by the boys in Crimson over decades of watching them play. Tradition and history matter. It certainly can be lost and by itself it does not guarantee success but it dang sure doesn't hurt when a coach from Bama walks into a recruits house or the team takes the field.

The Pac12 is not very strong from top to bottom, but Riley and USC get to the top and quickly. Football is pretty much dead on the left coast. The attendance figures aren't great.

almost made 50K for two home games

31k for Stanford vs Notre Dame at home
I have said many times that the Pac12 is a road to avoid playing FCS teams that many schools have, for whatever reason, chosen not to travel. With few exceptions, Pac12 schools are willing to play away games without requiring a return home game because of what you point out. For many years they looked upon the SEC schools as ATM machines. And of course I am not referring to the next to last weekend of the season when all are playing mandatory conference games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom