| FTBL Caleb Williams transferring to USC says a lot about Lincoln Riley. He 3825'd OU.

Max

"What Lincoln Riley has done to the employer that not only made him a millionaire but also provided him a platform that cultivated his success is disgraceful. There's a stark difference between things we can do, and things we should do. And that difference is integrity.

Furthermore, all those who love to compare CFB to the NCAA, this is another example of something that cannot happen in the NFL. And why NIL and instant transfers create a toxic artificial advantage to be exploited by the worst intentions of "me first"

OU's investment is the only reason Riley has an artificial "inside track" on relationships with these players. Riley used that against OU to sway these departures. "Thanks for the millions of dollars in salary and access to those players, now I'm going to use that to gut you.'""

I can't stand his little arrogant baby faced ass. I was glad when Dave Aranda scored on him late and it showed Riley's true character. He will do well at USC, but I am looking forward to the day he runs up against a good program outside of the Pac-12 and gets smoked. He still hasn't built a defense, only offense and it sputtered last year.
Don't mince words, tell us how you REALLY feel about him. :laugh: ;)

I can see both sides. Just like coaches can just decide to leave for a better opportunity; players should have the same choice. Kelly and Riley are two totally different people, so maybe that had a lot to do with it too.

Riley did a few things for Oklahoma, too.

I think it's safe to say that he was a big reason Williams was there in the first place, isn't it?

It's all business. If he wasn't good for OU they would have fired him more quickly than it took for him to move on....

We'll see how well his replacement does. Something tell's me it won't look as easy to make the 4 team playoff year after year. JMO

I have the suspicion that Riley will be much like Brian Kelly at ND.

I think Riley will rise quickly and do well, simply based on the lack of competition. He will be the Clemson of the PAC 12. I think Riley can coach offense well enough, but I don't know if he can compete in the play offs and win it consistently. His teams will probably be healthy and well rested by the time they get to the CFB play offs, but how will they fare when they play stiff competition? I see them being a lot like Bama 2019. We dominated everyone we played all year long, then ran into a buzz saw in the national championship. I think that will be a good example of USC under Riley.

Riley did a few things for Oklahoma, too.

I think it's safe to say that he was a big reason Williams was there in the first place, isn't it?

It's all business. If he wasn't good for OU they would have fired him more quickly than it took for him to move on....

We'll see how well his replacement does. Something tell's me it won't look as easy to make the 4 team playoff year after year. JMO

He was handed the keys just like Ryan Day. We've yet to see if he can truly build a program. As I said before, he couldn't build a defense and just stuck with trying to score more points, that whole Big 12 prospective.

He was handed the keys just like Ryan Day. We've yet to see if he can truly build a program. As I said before, he couldn't build a defense and just stuck with trying to score more points, that whole Big 12 prospective.
To compare him to Ryan Day is a compliment IMO.... I think they're both fantastic young coaches that happen to be stuck in the Saban era of dominance

To compare him to Ryan Day is a compliment IMO.... I think they're both fantastic young coaches that happen to be stuck in the Saban era of dominance

I'm not comparing them against each other, I'm comparing their situations to where they followed a very successful coach and were gifted a well oiled program. Saban came in and built LSU, he came in and built Alabama. Two completely different abilities to be handed over the keys and grinding the keys. We have yet to see if he can build a team on both sides of the ball. He has an embarrassment of riches at USC so it won't even be difficult, but we will still have to see if he can handle the spotlight in a part of the country where Hollywood dominates and his job is more about winning National Championships rather than Conference Championships. He never made a Natty at Oklahoma and got smoked in the Playoffs he did make, outside of the Georgia game. He can dominate the Big 12 and Pac-12 all day long, but in the whole scheme of things those two conferences have done absolute zero against the true power conferences.

Urban and Dabo both saw success against the domination of Saban, so I don't think these two should get a pass.

I'm not comparing them against each other, I'm comparing their situations to where they followed a very successful coach and were gifted a well oiled program. Saban came in and built LSU, he came in and built Alabama. Two completely different abilities to be handed over the keys and grinding the keys. We have yet to see if he can build a team on both sides of the ball. He has an embarrassment of riches at USC so it won't even be difficult, but we will still have to see if he can handle the spotlight in a part of the country where Hollywood dominates and his job is more about winning National Championships rather than Conference Championships. He never made a Natty at Oklahoma and got smoked in the Playoffs he did make, outside of the Georgia game. He can dominate the Big 12 and Pac-12 all day long, but in the whole scheme of things those two conferences have done absolute zero against the true power conferences.

Urban and Dabo both saw success against the domination of Saban, so I don't think these two should get a pass.
Unfortunately, you have to add Kirby to that list too.

Your point is valid and makes sense. We'll see how Riley does at USC... IMO Saban gets another one next year... After that, he'll have to be in the mix for a title to not be a disappointment.

He really caught my eye with how Hurts developed. Not all his credit but I did see some legit improvement. I can't see how USC could have done better... But time will tell!

Unfortunately, you have to add Kirby to that list too.

Your point is valid and makes sense. We'll see how Riley does at USC... IMO Saban gets another one next year... After that, he'll have to be in the mix for a title to not be a disappointment.

He really caught my eye with how Hurts developed. Not all his credit but I did see some legit improvement. I can't see how USC could have done better... But time will tell!

Gah, you just had to go there. I was doing everything I could not to add Kirby. I didn't add him honestly because he's 1 in like 6 against Alabama. Urban was closer to .500 as is Dabo.

I agree with you that USC couldn't have done any better. There is no doubt there. I think Riley will recruit very well there. I just don't like the way he has handled this whole transfer and recruiting deal.

As far as Hurts goes, I personally feel he just got better with age. He was VERY accurate when he came in for Tua in the SEC Championship game. He was on the move and putting the ball exactly where it needed to be. I honestly feel it was probably the competition he was playing and how they stacked up defensively at Oklahoma that allowed him to look even better. Hurts is a talent, no doubt, but I cannot see Riley being the reason he was where he was in that short of a time period. He was thrust into a starting role as a True Freshman and left the field with the lead in the Natty. He struggled his Sophomore year. I think a lot of that was getting away from being a runner and learning to trust his arm 20-30 times a game whereas he has never ever had to do that because his legs gave him everything he needed at the high school level and as a Freshman when there was no scouting report on him. I think he just had more time to settle in and learn to trust his abilities as a passer that made him improve. Just my two cents though on that one.

Back
Top Bottom