| FTBL Something to consider about UGA even though this is about OU, Lincoln Riley, and Baker Mayfield

TerryP

Staff
If you were following along with the game thread about the NY6 bowl games you noticed a few references to the Mega Casts with ESPN. I watched/listened to the ESPN control room for roughly half of that game. There was one little comment that Holgo muttered--literally under his breath--that resonated with me. Hell, it was almost a "BOOM" when I heard him mention this.

I want to say it was in the second quarter after OU had just scored when I heard him say, "he's still operating off of his script." I heard it, wasn't sure I heard it correctly, so I rewound the broadcast a bit just to be sure. "He's still operating off of his script."

Why is that worth noting? I'm seeing a lot of credit being thrown towards the UGA staff about their adjustments to OU for the second half of their game. I'm not buying that completely. Yes, UGA did play a heck of a game. But, that's too much credit in my opinion.

Is Riley a good game planner? I don't think there's an argument against that fact. Can he make adjustments on the fly? There's an argument to be made.

If what Holgo said is true, and the more I think about it the more I believe it to be so, he can script several series against defenses as well as anyone. After he gets through that script? When he's making calls on the fly? There's the area I believe bears watching over the next few years.

We've heard people talk about the "windows" Mayfield had yesterday closing. True. No doubt that's true looking at the second half. The question lies here. Why did those "windows" get smaller? Because there was no longer anything unique with the plays called. They'd seen it once and been burnt. After seeing those plays once they (UGA) didn't make the same mistakes they'd made in the first half.

Mayfield is a playmaker when things break down. But, before we start heaping praise all over the UGA staff and their adjustments I really believe that has to be done with an asterisk--Riley isn't as good of a coach, yet, as OU has made him appear to be this season. A good planner pre-game, sure. After the opposition has seen his what they're bringing? No so much.

More importantly is this. What we saw out of the UGA defense shouldn't be as heralded as it today. A lot of that falls on the inexperience of Riley.

Well, personally I dont ever heap too much praise on any defense that gives up 48 points and nearly 600 yards, anyway.

If Riley is still reading plays from a script all the way into the second quarter then holy crap. There is absolutely no way you can do that against any type of decent defense and continue to have success. Especially if you're still scripting plays after HALFTIME, that spells eventual death. OU still scored 14 in the fourth (granted 7 was on defense).

OU still scored 14 in the fourth (granted 7 was on defense).
What was it, second and 10 around the OU 30 when Lamb caught that pass for 35-40 yards? That was one hell of a catch--incredible body control.

Add to that the scramble Mayfield had a play later. That was Mayfield doing his improvisation bit, wasn't it? That was roughly 60 yards in two plays.

What was it, second and 10 around the OU 30 when Lamb caught that pass for 35-40 yards? That was one hell of a catch--incredible body control.

Add to that the scramble Mayfield had a play later. That was Mayfield doing his improvisation bit, wasn't it? That was roughly 60 yards in two plays.

I thought the Mayfield run was a called QB counter but maybe not.

I dont think QB runs will be as affective for Bama as the handful Mayfield pulled off, though. I doubt UGA ever dedicated a spy to Mayfield and most were scrambles. Interested to see how Bama plays this. UGA def. has the athletes to cut down on Hurts' called runs and the size to stand toe-to-toe. Really think its going to come down to whether or not Daboll can get more creative and if Jalen can stand in the pocket and find open receivers (which I think there will be plenty of). Still too many times that either Hurts is off one way or another on a throw or receivers are just blatantly dropping easy catches. Foster and Sims both had multiple third down drops with balls right in their hands last night. Bo did too but Jalen threw him a damn 100 MPH fast ball on a little pass to the flat.

Foster and Sims both had multiple third down drops with balls right in their hands last night.
Speaking of Foster.

We've seen people question why he hasn't seen more action. If that route against Auburn didn't put that to rest ... I'm still a little ticked about that.

It's akin to seeing players dropping the ball as they are crossing the goal line: run your damn route past the sticks!!!

I don't think Mayfield throws into small windows, I'd need to watch film on him to back that thought up. I'm not planning on watching him either.

The other thing that stood out, he won't throw the ball away. He'd rather be sacked rather than be smart, just so he can make the big play.

He's got the fire, but he's gonna have to channel that better.

I believe #3 was a spy on Mayfield. Seems like Fowler or Herbie mentioned it a time or two.

Maybe I just missed that but seems odd to me to put a spy on a pocket passer. They certainly didnt spy him on the particular run we were talking about.

Speaking of Foster.

We've seen people question why he hasn't seen more action. If that route against Auburn didn't put that to rest ... I'm still a little ticked about that.

It's akin to seeing players dropping the ball as they are crossing the goal line: run your damn route past the sticks!!!

I don't remember. I hit the rewind button after the catch to watch it again.

I want to say I remember the line and receivers run blocking on the play.

Foster has been one of the bigger "big recruit" disappointments to me. Track star speed with the hands of a God one minute and stone hands the next added with lazy route running and injury prone.

Maybe I just missed that but seems odd to me to put a spy on a pocket passer. They certainly didnt spy him on the particular run we were talking about.

I think Mayfield is athletic and quick enough (unless running from the cops) to be an opportunistic runner. Although he only had a net one yard rushing on 12 carries, he lost 45 yards on 5 sacks and one designed run, and gained 46 on six carries. I think he's a better runner than Stidham, who burned us for a net 51 yards on 12 carries (10 for +60, 2 for -9). We didn't account for him when it was crunch time. His last four runs were 9, 12, 16 (TD) and 1 yards.

In our NC win over Clemson, we had a spy who didn't just try to prevent the run, they would close quickly as Watson started moving from the pocket to keep him from extending a pass play. I think that was a key way to play Mayfield as well - get the ball out of his hands to help your pass coverage.

RTR,

Tim

Speaking of Foster.

Or hell, even if you're dragging behind the sticks, just plant your damn foot and get north for ONE step and you have the 1st down.

Don't continue to run laterally toward 3 defenders when you had 5 yards of grass directly in front of you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom