| FTBL Bill O'Brien opinion and questions

One thing I‘ve heard Daniels @CBS and Herbie say last night was BoB saying how Bryce helps him gameplan. Quit doing it. Because one of the two sure looks like he is not up to par.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, Bryce’s accuracy is not as good as being touted nor that as we’ve seen the past several years. But, how do you objectively measure it without having the same group of receivers? Right now, for me, it’s an eye thing. I don't think Bryce puts the ball in the receivers hands like our past QBs.

One thing I‘ve heard Daniels @CBS and Herbie say last night was BoB saying how Bryce helps him gameplan. Quit doing it. Because one of the two sure looks like he is not up to par.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, Bryce’s accuracy is not as good as being touted nor that as we’ve seen the past several years. But, how do you objectively measure it without having the same group of receivers? Right now, for me, it’s an eye thing. I don't think Bryce puts the ball in the receivers hands like our past QBs.
I think BY is as good a QB as we’ve had the last several years. He’s way better than Hurts, Tua and Mac were two of the best if not best Bama has ever had, but the talent those dudes were throwing to was some of the best college football has ever seen.

Hurts, Tua, Mac…..big ass shoes to fill with different OC’s.

Hurts - I haven’t looked but I bet BYs long ball is similar in accuracy %. BY less prone to make a play with his legs

Tua - Long ball off the charts, 2 of the best signal callers in CFB for our talent

Mac - Accurate as Tua.

Look at the talent around those 3 and now BY. OC and chemistry are not at the same level, IMO.

Bryce behind last years Oline, with last years WR and RB corp… would be pretty spectacular IMO. Let’s also remember Mac had 5 years in the system… Bryce is on year 2.

You need to go back and watch tape, because Bryce is more accurate than he is not. He may not be completing 80%, but he's on the run half the time and then you add drops. He hits them in the numbers more than not.

I think we CAN be the best team in the country, but on a weekly basis we aren't close. This is like a 7-8 year old team where you simply don't know if you'll get a focused team or if you'll get a team that would rather play in the dirt and pick flowers.

This is where I differ from you. I think this team is above average at best. The offensive line is just hideous. Good skill players but even they can be very inconsistent. If Bryce wasn't as fleet as foot as he is this offense would be dead in the water. The defense outside of Will Anderson - and Christian Harris lately - is absolutely putrid. Henry To'o To'o continues to underwhelm every single week and I know someone will reply and point to his tackle totals. Yeah, great, he makes a bunch of "tackles" 10 yards down the field, that really doesn't help much when he is consistently and repeatedly out of position. I genuinely believe Arkansas and Auburn will both Alabama and I hate ANYTIME Alabama loses but the only solace I take in that is knowing that Georgia won't be able to skull drag this team into oblivion in that case.

Slade Bolden is a feel good story, but not a starting receiver. Time to put him on the 2nd team and try one of the younger guys in his spot. Or hell, use Billingsley there and keep Latu in the TE position. We need more threats on the edge.

I don't wanna pile on Slade - especially considering some of the stuff I see on twitter about him - and I do think he is a solid possession receiver but some of the stuff they run with him is just so confusing. Why are you throwing screen passes and little bubble passes to the slowest receiver on the team? Let alone the Wildcat stuff?

This is where I differ from you. I think this team is above average at best. The offensive line is just hideous. Good skill players but even they can be very inconsistent. If Bryce wasn't as fleet as foot as he is this offense would be dead in the water. The defense outside of Will Anderson - and Christian Harris lately - is absolutely putrid. Henry To'o To'o continues to underwhelm every single week and I know someone will reply and point to his tackle totals. Yeah, great, he makes a bunch of "tackles" 10 yards down the field, that really doesn't help much when he is consistently and repeatedly out of position. I genuinely believe Arkansas and Auburn will both Alabama and I hate ANYTIME Alabama loses but the only solace I take in that is knowing that Georgia won't be able to skull drag this team into oblivion in that case.
The defense has improved every week and last night they played great.

Auburn may beat us (depends on what Aubie team shows up), but Arky I don’t believe gets within 14 of us

I don't wanna pile on Slade - especially considering some of the stuff I see on twitter about him - and I do think he is a solid possession receiver but some of the stuff they run with him is just so confusing. Why are you throwing screen passes and little bubble passes to the slowest receiver on the team? Let alone the Wildcat stuff?
I don’t understand at all why we’re using the slowest receiver we have to run screens, bubbles, and wildcat….I don’t get it at all

I have said since day one our expectations going into this season were unfair to the players who left for the NFL, unfair to the current players trying to fill those huge shoes and unfair to Coach Saban thinking he can simply reload 6 AA’s, 3 of 5 Heisman finalists, umpteen national player award winners and a national coaching award winner too. To think this team could simply start where the 2020 team left off was a ridiculous expectation. We should have known there would be a drop off and there has been. However, that primarily applies to the offensive side of the ball. Our expectations for the defense wasn’t at all ridiculous. Everyone and I mean everyone thought this would be one of Saban’s best and though they won the game last night, they’ve been a huge disappointment from what was expected of them. I have no idea whose fault that is but I do know without Anderson they wouldn’t scare anyone. The good news is outside of UGA, there’s no team any better than the Tide. If Bama can find a way to break the damn JH curse, they might be able to improve enough by early December to give the doggies a game. That’s my hope!

I have said since day one our expectations going into this season were unfair to the players who left for the NFL, unfair to the current players trying to fill those huge shoes and unfair to Coach Saban thinking he can simply reload 6 AA’s, 3 of 5 Heisman finalists, umpteen national player award winners and a national coaching award winner too. To think this team could simply start where the 2020 team left off was a ridiculous expectation. We should have known there would be a drop off and there has been.

This has zero to do with the broken coverages and confusion in the secondary and linebackers. Two of our veteran groups.

Ark and Barn may be harder games than we hoped for just like the who's but unlikely they are going to beat bama, same with UGA skull dragging Bama, unlikely. My 2 cents which is about what it is worth.

With that said, I am going to stop buying into the hype/rat poison and abandon setting blowout expectations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom