| FTBL Bill O'Brien opinion and questions

Can you guys name a team that's putting their 2's and 3's in earlier?

They are getting the same amount of practice reps against what may be inferior opposition.

I can't. I wasn't arguing for that - I was saying that we aren't doing a disservice by not blowing out UT earlier because we didn't get backups in. I stated it's a non-factor.

And OTOH, Saban has wanted the team to FINISH for the whole season. They finally do (while getting a good test, which is extremely valuable if you want to win a championship) finish, and people are super upset.

I do agree with you. The majority of us had a big problem the red zone calls in the tamu game, but for the most part the issues we have start with the OL. I told someone at the game Saturday that while we all wish we had Mac and/or Smitty, I wish we had Dickerson back. We need that spark plug on the OL.
In regards to aTm and redzone play calls... we all make mistakes from time to time. I don't like the 3 pass call from the goal line either, but I will say I don't feel comfortable with our oline enough to feel we can just over power a team that sells out the the run down there either. Not sure what the best route would have been, but being that we lost the game I am sure everyone on the team and staff wish a different play series would have been called including O'Brien. I will say I have been very happy with the pass calls to the TE in the goalline this year. I think it's to our advantage to make sure a team can't just focus on the RB on the Goal Line.

In regards to aTm and redzone play calls... we all make mistakes from time to time. I don't like the 3 pass call from the goal line either, but I will say I don't feel comfortable with our oline enough to feel we can just over power a team that sells out the the run down there either. Not sure what the best route would have been, but being that we lost the game I am sure everyone on the team and staff wish a different play series would have been called including O'Brien. I will say I have been very happy with the pass calls to the TE in the goalline this year. I think it's to our advantage to make sure a team can't just focus on the RB on the Goal Line.

Those 3 passes on goal to go never happen if Latu holds on to the pass a few plays earlier - a great playcall - fake screen double move that got Latu wide open for a TD

Can you guys name a team that's putting their 2's and 3's in earlier?

They are getting the same amount of practice reps against what may be inferior opposition.
Not comparing to other teams. At times we were getting our starters out earlier last year. Now that may be more perception than reality. I was just point out your comment about very little difference. I think the offense is doing great. Even the OL most of the time but occasionally there are issues and it forces BY to move around more than desired or penetration blows up the running play. CNS said in preseason we were not run blocking with enough power. Turns out to be true. It is still good but not as good as desired.

All of this is splitting hairs, this is a very good team and offense. Biggest issue I have had goes back to the DL and stopping the run. It is improving a lot.

All of this is splitting hairs, this is a very good team and offense. Biggest issue I have had goes back to the DL and stopping the run. It is improving a lot.
I think the DL did an outstanding job vs the run in the TN game. I think they had been averaging over 200 yards per game and we kept them well under 100 yards if I recall.

In regards to aTm and redzone play calls... we all make mistakes from time to time. I don't like the 3 pass call from the goal line either, but I will say I don't feel comfortable with our oline enough to feel we can just over power a team that sells out the the run down there either.
Just as a side note in case you missed this.

Mentioned a few days ago ... O'Brien and the staff had given Bryce a lot of freedom on play calls going into A&M. They'd been doing that for a few weeks. In College Station, with Gainesville in the rear mirror but not forgotten, the 'goal' was one I agreed with: give him the option of calling which play (out of a couple of choices) and eliminate as much as they can (crowd noise, etc.) It wasn't a case of a true "RPO," but a set of plays he could audible into.

After the game I believe it was Saban who said they were dialing that back a bit. I feel there's two ways to look at that in the end:

• They put too much on his plate which would be called a coaching mistake.
  • It was a maturing process that can't be replicated...a lot of responsibility dropped on his shoulders in that game.

@mando I asked about other teams substitution patterns out of curiosity. I've seen other teams fans mention things like "It's the fourth quarter, Ohio State is up by three touchdowns, and Stroud is still in the game."

To me it seems like getting the 2's and 3's in is about the same across the board. I've yet to see a 'stat-tracker' that covers how soon substitutions start. I can't say there is one. I have seen several charts about how many true freshmen see playing time and Bama's up there with the rest of college football playing quite a few.

To me it seems like getting the 2's and 3's in is about the same across the board. I've yet to see a 'stat-tracker' that covers how soon substitutions start. I can't say there is one. I have seen several charts about how many true freshmen see playing time and Bama's up there with the rest of college football playing quite a few.
It will also seem to not only be about the score but sometimes about CNS wanting to work on some deficiencies he feels the team has. So there are lots of variables at play here. Something as simple as he wants the OL to work on running blocking or learning how to finish or as he states take the air out of the ball. I know it is never as simple as it sounds and every team is different.

It will also seem to not only be about the score but sometimes about CNS wanting to work on some deficiencies he feels the team has. So there are lots of variables at play here. Something as simple as he wants the OL to work on running blocking or learning how to finish or as he states take the air out of the ball. I know it is never as simple as it sounds and every team is different.
preachin' to the choir.

It's never bothered me.

preachin' to the choir.

It's never bothered me.

I've never been bothered by it, but when the backups come in I wish we got to see the quarterbacks throw more to the younger receivers instead of the line and running backs getting all the work. I understand we don't want to run the score up in situations, but I also feel all bets are off when a 2nd or 3rd team is in and you better be ready to defend the whole playbook.

I will start by saying I don't doubt his ability or his knowledge but I am just not a fan of his play calling and don't think he is a great fit for the offense that it seems like Saban wants to run. There have been some drops that aren't his fault but I just don't like the flow of his calls and I don't think he allows the QB or o line get into a good rythm.

That being said Saban came out of halftime wanting to run the ball and instead we just went three and out twice in a row. We made several weird play calls. Saban mentioned that we came out of the half after making adjustments and struggled on the first few drives of the 2nd half. Knowing that Saban wanted to run the ball and O'brien just did whatever he wanted... does Saban's comments seem like a shot across the bow? I know he uses press conferences to reach players.. do you think that was a quiet shot at the OC?

Secondly, I could see for the first time Bryce getting a little pissed and I believe it is 2 fold.. I believe he was pissed that it was taking so long to get the play calls in (see the multiple delay of game or forced timeouts coming off of a dead ball situation) and I think he was getting aggrivated with the over all play calling based on the looks Tennessee was giving us.

Did anyone else notice the shot when Bryce and Bill were on the headset and you could see Bryce say something with a little conviction and O'Brien seemed to lose his shit for a second? I actually think Bryce got tired of getting his ass chewed by Saban and fired of at his OC..lol..

I for one hope that Bill takes one of these pro jobs that are bound to come open this off season.

Again, our offense is out of rhythm with Obrien, We at least need another play caller. He is now killing us.. far too predictable, methodical and just never let's anyone get going.

We have a bunch of issues but he in my opinion is the a problem we have to solve

That naked bootleg attempt at the end that fooled absolutely no one was so frustrating. I mean everything was frustrating but that one was just... wow.

Running that "Wildcat" package with Slade is also just absolutely maddening. There are some linemen that can run faster than him. Meanwhile you have a great runner - that's also ACTUALLY a QB - sitting on the sideline as a third string QB you could run that package with...

That naked bootleg attempt at the end that fooled absolutely no one was so frustrating. I mean everything was frustrating but that one was just... wow.

Running that "Wildcat" package with Slade is also just absolutely maddening. There are some linemen that can run faster than him. Meanwhile you have a great runner - that's also ACTUALLY a QB - sitting on the sideline as a third string QB you could run that package with...
A lot of the play calling tonight was mind boggling….didn’t understand it at all

If OL has issues blocking them it makes any OC's job hard. This team has been averaging 42+ points per game. No one saw this performance coming but maybe we should have. I keep waiting on the switch to flip for this team but so far we have only seen bits of it here and there. No consistency. Fortunately the defense bailed them out tonight.

If OL has issues blocking them it makes any OC's job hard. This team has been averaging 42+ points per game. No one saw this performance coming but maybe we should have. I keep waiting on the switch to flip for this team but so far we have only seen bits of it here and there. No consistency. Fortunately the defense bailed them out tonight.

We all could have, but some of us get scolded at the hint of saying this team isn't the best. I think we CAN be the best team in the country, but on a weekly basis we aren't close. This is like a 7-8 year old team where you simply don't know if you'll get a focused team or if you'll get a team that would rather play in the dirt and pick flowers.

@Destiny's Child started it earlier in the year and he was drilled by a lot of us, including me on certain points, about this team. A lot of what he said is clearly showing. I have brought up Georgia's defense and how I think we are lacking and will have issues against them. Their offense has to sputter, or we won't hang. I brought up Auburn and got blasted for it, but they still have as good of a shot at winning that game as we do, even after the A&M deal. I'm a little mixed emotion last night because I saw it happening, but my heart wanted a blow out. I was happy to see our defense bow its neck and win one for the team. LSU is a broken team, so it's nit like we faced Oklahoma or Ohio State's offense, but we still did the job.

Something isn't clicking and I hate we are wasting a year of William Anderson and Christian Harris' last year, because we won't have him back.

We all could have, but some of us get scolded at the hint of saying this team isn't the best. I think we CAN be the best team in the country, but on a weekly basis we aren't close. This is like a 7-8 year old team where you simply don't know if you'll get a focused team or if you'll get a team that would rather play in the dirt and pick flowers.

@Destiny's Child started it earlier in the year and he was drilled by a lot of us, including me on certain points, about this team. A lot of what he said is clearly showing. I have brought up Georgia's defense and how I think we are lacking and will have issues against them. Their offense has to sputter, or we won't hang. I brought up Auburn and got blasted for it, but they still have as good of a shot at winning that game as we do, even after the A&M deal. I'm a little mixed emotion last night because I saw it happening, but my heart wanted a blow out. I was happy to see our defense bow its neck and win one for the team. LSU is a broken team, so it's nit like we faced Oklahoma or Ohio State's offense, but we still did the job.

Something isn't clicking and I hate we are wasting a year of William Anderson and Christian Harris' last year, because we won't have him back.
The issues are at the line of scrimmage. Seems like this may be about the jimmys and joes as much as the coaches. Take Owens for example, he is not going to magically become a first rounder due to his physical talent limitations. He is not Shula like talent but I am talking about the bama standard measurement. When Owens faces nfl talent well he gets beat a lot. Doesn't always take nfl talent for that to happen either. The right guard is the same.

Saban warned in the preseason our run blocking was not playing with the power it needed. Well that is showing up with the on the field results. When a team makes you one dimensional it makes everything thing else harder. Pretty amazing that BY was able to throw for 300+ yards given the flow of the game.

Our deficiencies lie in multiple areas currently.

Play Calling:

BoB is just overly predictable, very few plays are surprising or creative. He is stuck in an archaic mentality of NFL ball and doesn't use the edge enough with our receivers or our backs. Swing passes and WR screens help QB pressure when LSU is bringing 6 every drop-back. He needs to throw to set-up the run at times and run to set-up the throw.

Golding had a pretty good run this year so far, but he needs to get his Defense under control, too many miscues and guessing on where their alignment is. It's very correctable, I'm used to seeing someone blow a coverage on the back-end but when we don't even line up correctly I'm second guessing if he has truly selected a leader and the guys out there know what alignments are what.

Use Latu and Billingsley more, big bodied turn-around routes for 7-8 yards are effective and quick and make the defense not crowd the line every damn play. Hot routes are also terrible, either Bryce isn't calling them or BoB isn't putting them in the playbook. When you see 8 crowding the line you need a safety net.

Oline:

It's probably the worst currently, as predictable as BoB has been our Oline is just unable to push people down field for runs like in previous years. They're also constantly missing blocks on routine twists or just not picking up the right guy at all on run plays. We look like the Titans OL out there and Derrick Henry is constantly getting hit in the backfield and somehow gaining us 2-3 yards each time. IF we can start controlling the point of attack better, Brian Robinson should be able to get us 4-5 every run he's shifty and strong enough. Maybe we need to start doing more zone blocking to help, but man to man blocking is always leaving a man free straight to him. And lets not even talk about how terrible the pass protection has been...we're triple teaming sommeone and letting a linebacker run untouched to Bryce

Receivers:

Drops and Unsure route running. Either Bryce or the receivers are just unable to figure out the routes. Quite a few are thrown outside when someone is cutting inside and I'm not sure who is the problem here. Maybe it's the coach, but it needs to be corrected and should be.

Drops are terrible this year, too many times have we set ourselves up for failure with dropping the ball. Without Bryce playing like a madman possessed we'd be in even worse shape than we are now, that young man deserves a medal after this year so far.

Slade Bolden is a feel good story, but not a starting receiver. Time to put him on the 2nd team and try one of the younger guys in his spot. Or hell, use Billingsley there and keep Latu in the TE position. We need more threats on the edge.

Back
Top Bottom