| FTBL Bill O'Brien opinion and questions

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
I will start by saying I don't doubt his ability or his knowledge but I am just not a fan of his play calling and don't think he is a great fit for the offense that it seems like Saban wants to run. There have been some drops that aren't his fault but I just don't like the flow of his calls and I don't think he allows the QB or o line get into a good rythm.

That being said Saban came out of halftime wanting to run the ball and instead we just went three and out twice in a row. We made several weird play calls. Saban mentioned that we came out of the half after making adjustments and struggled on the first few drives of the 2nd half. Knowing that Saban wanted to run the ball and O'brien just did whatever he wanted... does Saban's comments seem like a shot across the bow? I know he uses press conferences to reach players.. do you think that was a quiet shot at the OC?

Secondly, I could see for the first time Bryce getting a little pissed and I believe it is 2 fold.. I believe he was pissed that it was taking so long to get the play calls in (see the multiple delay of game or forced timeouts coming off of a dead ball situation) and I think he was getting aggrivated with the over all play calling based on the looks Tennessee was giving us.

Did anyone else notice the shot when Bryce and Bill were on the headset and you could see Bryce say something with a little conviction and O'Brien seemed to lose his shit for a second? I actually think Bryce got tired of getting his ass chewed by Saban and fired of at his OC..lol..

I for one hope that Bill takes one of these pro jobs that are bound to come open this off season.

I will start by saying I don't doubt his ability or his knowledge but I am just not a fan of his play calling and don't think he is a great fit for the offense that it seems like Saban wants to run. There have been some drops that aren't his fault but I just don't like the flow of his calls and I don't think he allows the QB or o line get into a good rythm.

That being said Saban came out of halftime wanting to run the ball and instead we just went three and out twice in a row. We made several weird play calls. Saban mentioned that we came out of the half after making adjustments and struggled on the first few drives of the 2nd half. Knowing that Saban wanted to run the ball and O'brien just did whatever he wanted... does Saban's comments seem like a shot across the bow? I know he uses press conferences to reach players.. do you think that was a quiet shot at the OC?

Secondly, I could see for the first time Bryce getting a little pissed and I believe it is 2 fold.. I believe he was pissed that it was taking so long to get the play calls in (see the multiple delay of game or forced timeouts coming off of a dead ball situation) and I think he was getting aggrivated with the over all play calling based on the looks Tennessee was giving us.

Did anyone else notice the shot when Bryce and Bill were on the headset and you could see Bryce say something with a little conviction and O'Brien seemed to lose his shit for a second? I actually think Bryce got tired of getting his ass chewed by Saban and fired of at his OC..lol..

I for one hope that Bill takes one of these pro jobs that are bound to come open this off season.

I saw two instances, I didn't put them together, where I saw O'Brien lose it and then I saw Saban appearing to try and calm Bryce down.

I saw two instances, I didn't put them together, where I saw O'Brien lose it and then I saw Saban appearing to try and calm Bryce down.
I was watching sidelines when BY came off and NS was in his ass

Lol

NS spares nobody

Looked like BY wasnt reading sideline signals quick enough and getting offense lined upquick enough

Loved it

Looks like obrian and fans are having 2020 problems. No as much as elite talent. And ms50+ having same problem

My thoughts about O'Brien, it has been several years since he was an OC. I relate it to what I do at work, I used to do code development. Been about 10-15 years since I did that because I now manage people/projects. If you were to put me back to slinging code it would take me some time. Closest analogy I can make for what I see is likely what O'Brien is experiencing. May not be but the case but my hypothesis is that that has something to do with it.

Just an old man's opinion, its tough to adjust to O'Brien when you are used to the Offensive Minds that we have had recently.
And yet there's only a 2½ point difference in scoring average for '21 versus '20 and '19. There's a ½ point difference (increase) in '18, and almost a nine point increase over 2017. (O'Brien, Sark, to Daboll.) Bama is scoring a touchdown more per game now than they did under Kiffin in '16.

The 'sausage still tastes the same' but to me it looks like people are looking at how it's made versus the final product. Sark's offense gave the Tide an extra couple of points per game, literally, but did give the Tide more explosive plays per game.

And, by the way, if we had a way to take away the drops—one thing we didn't expect to see as often going into the fall—the point differential would like swing to the positive on O'Brien.

And yet there's only a 2½ point difference in scoring average for '21 versus '20 and '19. There's a ½ point difference (increase) in '18, and almost a nine point increase over 2017. (O'Brien, Sark, to Daboll.) Bama is scoring a touchdown more per game now than they did under Kiffin in '16.

The 'sausage still tastes the same' but to me it looks like people are looking at how it's made versus the final product. Sark's offense gave the Tide an extra couple of points per game, literally, but did give the Tide more explosive plays per game.

And, by the way, if we had a way to take away the drops—one thing we didn't expect to see as often going into the fall—the point differential would like swing to the positive on O'Brien.

For me it’s not total points per game. Many of Sarks games we were done trying to score half way thru the 3rd quarter and with O’Brien we are scoring a late Td’s we need to put an inferior team away.

It’s not about thinking he can’t get better or that Nick Saban hired him and all of his offensive knowledge leaked out on his pillow while he was sleeping.

I don’t think the offense can get in rhythm because of his play calling. I just don’t care for his flow of play calls. More importantly Saban said what he wanted from our offense in the second half.. O’Brien seemed to do what he wanted. Saban brought up the failure of the first few drives in his presser.. I think it had a purpose.

Many of Sarks games we were done trying to score half way thru the 3rd quarter and with O’Brien we are scoring a late Td’s we need to put an inferior team away.
Yeah you have to really look at the full context. I think this is pointing out why there is a perception the offense is down. Another is related to how the sausage is made and that is there are more long sustained drives and not as many explosives plays. At least that is how it feels. Does anyone know the average scoring drive time for comparison?

I personally have been expecting the offense to be down some and they are. If the OL (big if because of the right side) can clean things up and clean up the drops this offense will be elite (some would argue it already is).

I think the team having some challenges is making them better and preparing them for some tough games in the future.

Lastly this kind of offense is probably better for the defense.

I hear you Beyoncé. We’ve Put up 56 points in the 4th quarter of the last 3 games. We weren’t able to hit milk-the-clock mode in 2 of them like we did most of last year. That’s 7 points per game addition to our average with just the 4th quarter of those 3 games. If we got our normal 7 points those 4th quarters, our average drops 4.5 per game.

These threads are dumb.

Folks didn't expect a drop off from the best offense EVER in 2020 and 6 First round NFL draft picks lost?

The team just scored more vs. Miss St and Tennessee than the 2020 team did.

The offense has converted 75% of the 3rd downs the past 2 GAMES! That is unprecedented.

Bryce is playing amazingly - some drops here and there, and some inconsistent OL play, but overall the offense has been beyond expectations.

Are you counting pick sixes, returns and punt blocks too or just referencing offensive scoring? We have had more defensive and special teams touchdowns this year than I recall the last few years. Is that stunting any of the numbers?

These threads are dumb.

Folks didn't expect a drop off from the best offense EVER in 2020 and 6 First round NFL draft picks lost?

The team just scored more vs. Miss St and Tennessee than the 2020 team did.

The offense has converted 75% of the 3rd downs the past 2 GAMES! That is unprecedented.

Bryce is playing amazingly - some drops here and there, and some inconsistent OL play, but overall the offense has been beyond expectations.

Please point to the spot in my post where I complained about how many points we score or about our offense dropping off?

I just don’t like his play calling. It feels disjointed. I actually like that our drives are a little more ball control it does help out or d.

Does anyone know if O’Brien is doing any recruiting?

Please point to the spot in my post where I complained about how many points we score or about our offense dropping off?

I just don’t like his play calling. It feels disjointed. I actually like that our drives are a little more ball control it does help out or d.

I just saw a picture of him with a big offensive tackle that was committed to Kentucky. Not sure if he's recruiting him or just met with him during his unofficial visit as the offensive coach, but I literally just saw that picture five minutes ago.

I'm aware getting under center would be a lot to ask, but using pistol to run the ball and use play action would be a welcomed sight for these eyes. The run game was not fluid, so I wonder why type of adjustments will be made. Given the current circumstances, there would need to be some significant improvement with the way the OL executes the current scheme to overcome that Georgia front 7. JMO

Guess I'm good with him (Not that it matters. :laugh: ). He gets paid to make those calls and I don't get a dime for bitching about it and try to make those calls from my couch with a cold beer. :p ;)

It's remarkable how many points the offense is scoring with much less talent than 2020 and all this bad playcalling.

Unfathomable.

Back
Top Bottom