Best BBQ

There is a place in Austin I've been meaning to try. They started out in a trailer, which Austin has a lot of.

Its called Franklin BBQ, you have to wait in line forever 2-3 hours, heard they have the best BBQ in Texas.

They are ONLY opened for lunch, the close when all the meat is gone.

BBQ is like the burgers thread... Hard to pick just one. I grew up loving Ollie's, but they are no more. Big Bob Gibson's has always been top notch with me. It's usually the sheds on the side of the road like Doug me me mentioned that have the best sandwiches... Which is kinda how Moe's BBQ started out, an their food ain't bad. Awesome wings.

I'm a pork guy, love me some coleslaw on my pulled pork. Love some pork sausage too.

Brisket I could do without and some places in Texas make some really really good brisket, just growing up in Alabama, I've always been accustomed to pork.

If you guys come out to the TAMU game, there are some good (historical) BBQ joints down around the area - 100 miles SW of College Station is Lockhart, TX. Lexington, TX is between College Station and Lockhart - has a pretty good place too.

Big Bob Gibson's is great. Of course, living in Decatur I think I sometimes take it for granted...

As for brisket, there is a place in Madison, AL called "Chuck Wagon." Hands down best Brisket I've ever had in Alabama. The building is small, looks like an old shack. The guy that owns it is from Texas, so he knows how to smoke some freaking awesome brisket. Any time we have people from out of town here on business, it is my first choice to take them to for some local flavor.

Brandon, if you are ever up near Huntsville, let me know. I'll take you there and you can get some Texas-style brisket.

Famous Fred's is a little dive in Hoover that is right up the road from where Doe works. He hooked us up with going there one day and it has become somewhat of an icon with several of us here on the board.

I guy from Israel bought this place and runs it. He looks pissed off at the world, but really is a nice guy. Porter nick-named him the chicken-nazi (play on words from the Seinfeld days) and it sort of stuck. Hands down some of the best chicken fingers you will ever eat. I have strayed from the chicken fingers a few times and I must say the guy makes an excellent Reuben sandwich as well.

Famous Fred's is a little dive in Hoover that is right up the road from where Doe works. He hooked us up with going there one day and it has become somewhat of an icon with several of us here on the board.

I guy from Israel bought this place and runs it. He looks pissed off at the world, but really is a nice guy. Porter nick-named him the chicken-nazi (play on words from the Seinfeld days) and it sort of stuck. Hands down some of the best chicken fingers you will ever eat. I have strayed from the chicken fingers a few times and I must say the guy makes an excellent Reuben sandwich as well.

Mmm .. I do love chicken fingers. Will have to stop there on my trip. I will have to refrain from calling him the 'chicken-nazi' though .. Classic Seinfeld reference. Thanks for the info!

As for BBQ (forgot to mention in my original post) .. We don't have much up this way for good BBQ, though there is a tiny place near my school called Rockland's BBQ that has really good pulled chicken sandwiches. It's pretty cheap too, for this massive, stuffed sandwich, and a side (I dig the mashed potatoes, though they aren't the best I've ever had by any means), and yummy homemade lemonade.

Back
Top Bottom