bear facts mando clip of the week (any genre)

bear facts said:
This is pushing the envelope here . . . "Speed Metal Bluegrass" is what they call it . . . Looks and sounds ike someone got hold of some bad moonshine . . . I do dig the three fiddle players and dancing cowgirls . . . makes me want to giddy up . . . Warning !!! This group's name is X-rated and I cannot censor or black the name out at YouTube.

I'm sure old Bill Monroe would be rolling over in his grave if he heard this reendition of his song:

Wheel Hoss

Time for a "hoe"down!!!

That is pretty wild. It reminds me of some kind of cabaret or something, but I like it :wink:

moreno_iv said:
bear facts said:
This is pushing the envelope here . . . "Speed Metal Bluegrass" is what they call it . . . Looks and sounds ike someone got hold of some bad moonshine . . . I do dig the three fiddle players and dancing cowgirls . . . makes me want to giddy up . . . Warning !!! This group's name is X-rated and I cannot censor or black the name out at YouTube.

I'm sure old Bill Monroe would be rolling over in his grave if he heard this reendition of his song:

Wheel Hoss

Time for a "hoe"down!!!

That is pretty wild. It reminds me of some kind of cabaret or something, but I like it :wink:

Great analogy, moreno! Btw, I don't know if you noticed, but think I spotted Junior Brown on one clip.

Speaking of Junior Brown, we might as well showcase him. This first clip is a little ditty that Factor has even learned on his mando, though not at JB's level. :lol:

Sugarfoot Rag

Dang, Junior's so good, we need a double shot of his stuff.

Free Born Man

bear facts said:
moreno_iv said:
bear facts said:

Wheel Hoss

Time for a "hoe"down!!!

Great analogy, moreno! Btw, I don't know if you noticed, but think I spotted Junior Brown on one clip.

Speaking of Junior Brown, we might as well showcase him. This first clip is a little ditty that Factor has even learned on his mando, though not at JB's level. :lol:

Sugarfoot Rag

Dang, Junior's so good, we need a double shot of his stuff.

Free Born Man

Man, Junior Brown and his git-steel! If he ever gets close, I've got to see him, and take my guitar-playin' boy along for justification.

RTR,

Tim

moreno_iv said:
I picked this one out today. It's a real bluesy song with an ELECTRIC MANDO!!! It's from a live recording in Spain...

Mahjun & Giroux

moreno, are you an electric player? I strictly mess with acoustic, so I am trying to figure out his set-up on that bowlback mando. Is he getting that sound via processor? Because, I have never heard any mandolin, acoustic nor electric, sound like that. :?

Do you think that was a legit performance? If is was, then that rascal is goooooood!

I like the music and style a lot; it's just hard to believe he's getting that particular sound out of a bowlback. Regardless, it was an excellent clip to share.

Btw, good to see you around. You bring a lot to this site. Heck, you even got Tim calling you "sage." Fitting, too.

bear facts said:
moreno_iv said:
I picked this one out today. It's a real bluesy song with an ELECTRIC MANDO!!! It's from a live recording in Spain...

Mahjun & Giroux

moreno, are you an electric player? I strictly mess with acoustic, so I am trying to figure out his set-up on that bowlback mando. Is he getting that sound via processor? Because I have never heard any mandolin, acoustic or electric sound like that. :?

Do you think that was a legit performance? If is was, then that rascal is goooooood!

I like the music and style a lot; it's just hard to believe he's getting that particular sound out of a bowlback. Regardless, it was an excellent clip to share.

Btw, good to see you around. You bring a lot to this site. Heck, you even got Tim calling you "sage." Fitting, too.

I checked Mahjuhn and Giroux on Google and found this little excerpt:

Once upon a time, in a parisian club, a great violin player met atalented guitarist-singer.
It was (as many witnesses declared) a close encounter of the blues kind.
Since that shivering night, these two characters gave concerts, composed and even cut memorable records.
Here they are : swinging acrobatics, humour, complicity and virtuosity !

The first one - JEAN-LOUIS MAHJUN - plays violin and mandolin since an early age. Deeply impressed by Jimmy HENDRIX and Frank ZAPPA, he formed his own band in the seventies and toured intensively...
The second one - ALAIN GIROUX - is a gifted singer and a fabulous guitar player.
He had recorded six LPs, a video, had written many blues manuals and started to play with BILL DERAIME and JEAN-JACQUES MILTEAU.

The pair is terrific ! On a background of MAHJUN's stratospheric and symphonic violins, blend GIROUX's deep voice and elaborate guitar work.
Their music is an astounding mix of rather antinomic styles.
A boogie woogie can features some tsigane choruses and a blues can be interpreted with an unorthodox irish rythm section !

After a brilliant debut album, "RENCONTRE DU DEUXIEME TYPE" (1992), followed the classic "DOUBLE JEU" (1996) : great pieces of rock jazziness that the pair beautifully controled with billowy voice and extactic playing.
To celebrate the millenium, that duo set out to the studio to prove that they're never out of inspiration. Today, they present their third opus "JAIL OF LOVE". They have created a body of music heavily influenced by country, blues and southern rock. Their songs include covers ("Willie The Weeper", "Guitar Rag", "Cocaïne Blues"), a mythical piece of argentinian tango ("La Cumparsita") as well as original recordings of their own style ("Louisiana, Louisiana", "No Way", "Chamallow Blues").
Their improvisations, harmonic contortions and real states of grace will catch every listener's attention... It's easy to figure out the real quality of their work :
Just watch the audience's feet when they're performing live!

I'm not really an electric player (mostly because I'm just not that good :wink: ) but I'm pretty sure that is was a legit performance. Watching his fingers and his picking, it matched up pretty well. I think that he was using a processor with at least some distortion in it; that would have given it that sound. I think I'm going to try and find some more information about these guys. I'll let you know what I find!

bear facts said:

Thanks for that, I just got a little fed up with everything. The loss didn't help either. I have a tendency to hold things in and then blow up all at once. But, I feel better now and I was hankering for some mando! :wink:

bear facts said:

I found a little blurb about the mando player and it said that he likes to play his 5 string electric with a little distortion and a little wah. That's prob what he was using in this clip as well.

I tried to find some more info on them, but everything seems to be in French on the Web. :(

After seeing moreno's clip of the European duo, Mahjun & Giroux and then finding these two amateur clips of Mike Lattrell playing over in France, looks like the bluesy mandolin is gaining popularity in other parts beside the States.

Mandolin Moan (acoustic)

Electric Slide Mandolin

I like the mando solo in the second clip. Been wanting to get myself a National resonator mando, and this slide playing really gives me the itch to do just that.

bear facts said:
After seeing moreno's clip of the European duo, Mahjun & Giroux and then finding these two amateur clips of Mike Lattrell playing over in France, looks like the bluesy mandolin is gaining popularity in other parts beside the States.

Mandolin Moan (acoustic)

Electric Slide Mandolin

I like the mando solo in the second clip. Been wanting to get myself a National resonator mando, and this slide playing really gives me the itch to do just that.

That second clip has a got a really good groove. It is pretty cool that the Frenchmen are getting into mando playing.

Man, those kids are amazing! I can't believe that eight year-old kid has the chops to play stuff like that already! I wish I had started playing at that young of an age.

moreno_iv said:
Man, those kids are amazing! I can't believe that eight year-old kid has the chops to play stuff like that already! I wish I had started playing at that young of an age.

You and me, both. Hey, I'm sure it didn't hurt the kids that their father gives guitar and other string-instrument lessons. Many of your top mando players were encouraged and learned to play at a very young age.

I always like to see younger folks taking advantage of their talents. I am definitely going to keep my eye out for Michael Tuttle. I have a feeling this won't be the last we hear from him.

I got a kick out of the fact that the little dude wanted to play the song faster at first. :D

Nice little mixup. During that Motorhead Cover, I kept waiting for Lemmy Kilmister to pop out and give a really crazy look!

Where is Hayseed Dixie from? It seems like I have heard of them before and possibly even seen them.

moreno_iv said:
Nice little mixup. During that Motorhead Cover, I kept waiting for Lemmy Kilmister to pop out and give a really crazy look!

Where is Hayseed Dixie from? It seems like I have heard of them before and possibly even seen them.

Hayseed Dixie are a U.S. band that have been described as "A Hillbilly Tribute [insult] to AC/DC", recording cover versions of hard rock songs in their own distinctive cross of bluegrass and rock which some have termed "rockgrass." The band's sense of humor is evident in their name, a play on "AC/DC".

Claiming to hail from the fictional Deer Lick Holler, Appalachia, the band have been on tour since 2001.

'Kerosene Brothers' are the bands alter-ego project, with the album Choose Your Own Title.

Band members include the following:

* John Wheeler (credited as Barley Scotch) - vocals, guitar, fiddle
* Don Wayne Reno - banjo
* Dale Reno - mandolin
* Jake Byers - bass guitar
* former bassist Jason D Smith
* former bassist Jeff Williams

Discography

* (2001) A Hillbilly Tribute to AC/DC (An album consisting purely of AC/DC songs)
* (2002) A Hillbilly Tribute to Mountain Love (This album was all covers of random 1970s classic rock and 1980s new wave songs, and two original songs)
* (2003) Kiss My Grass: A Hillbilly Tribute to Kiss (An album consisting entirely of KISS songs)
* (2004) Let There Be Rockgrass
* (2005) A Hot Piece of Grass
* (2006) You Wanna See Something REALLY Scary?

Offical website: Hayseed Dixie

Be sure to check out the 6 minute Hayseed Dixie Story Movie, Rockgrass over in the Tasting Room section of the website.

"Don't be afraid; this is just a reinactment, or possibly a dream. It really doesn't matter. Just know this: Jimi Hendrix would probably roll over in his grave, except for the fact that he is dust." Check out The Dawgmatics' cover of "Hey Joe" with a bit of mando to boot.

The special effects can simply be described as the Fourth of July on acid.

Dawgmatics

Notice the band member who comes in late. :lol:

I don't know if y'all are familiar with this website:

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/

It has a tremendous amount of good quality streaming audio from concerts in the 60's through 80's on it, many from the Fillmore East. There's a great concert by Alabama from 1982 in Coleman Coliseum. The site requires a free registration. The player works great for me at home but I haven't worked out the kinks at work yet, probably a farwall issue.

RTR,

Tim

Dang Tim, I was not familiar with this site. Got registered and immediately started enjoying some great music. Listening to The Allman Brothers Band at Winterland in '73. I'm surprised at the quality of this streaming audio, especially it being live music.

Thanks for hooking me up with this! I'm sure moreno is going to dig the Grateful Dead concerts, too, as will I.

Real gravy, man. 8)

Back
Top Bottom