bear facts mando clip of the week (any genre)

I saw these Georgia gals on Woodsongs last Monday and they sure could play for only having started learning their instruments about three years ago.

You high school guys need to be scoping these sweeties out.

This is an earlier video when the girls were a little bit younger.

I know the dobro player is 17, mandolin player is 15, and the fiddle player is 18 or 19. I'm sure we'll be hearing some more from these gals.

They's got talent!

The Lovell Sisters

Well some of your bluegrass purists might want to rip my fingernails off for playing this corn-squeezing hi-test hillbilly crap, but I find Tater and this video "That Ain't No Banjo" to be hipgrass.

Makes me want to break a seal on some Wild Turkey and buck dance.

Tater

BamaHeat said:
[

WHOOSH that was a good one!

Who was the electric guitar player?

That be Albert Lee, BamaHeat.

Here are a couple more of Albert pickin'. The solos toward the end of "One Way Rider" really cook.

One Way Rider

Fun Ranch Boogie

And here's a little something extra, though the musical genre is far from bluegrass or redneck jazz.

World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist

Be sure you check out the "Mystery Train, My Baby Left Me, and That's All Right Mama" Medley and also the beer bottle solo towards the end of the session. He has suds flowing on that guitar!!!

Here is Jim Richter, one blues mandolinist doing some of his thang.

Impromptu Blues

In Jim's own words: "Off the cuff blues. I've been playing blues or blues inspired material for at least 15 years. During the time I mainly played electric guitar and was influenced by cats like Hollywood Fats, Jimmie Vaughn, Duke Robillard, Magic Sam, Earl Hooker, and Freddie King. The challenge since becoming a mandolinist is to continue to play blues--on the mandolin--in the style of those guys. Too many blues mandolinists go for the Yank Rachel or Carl Martin route."

BayBear said:
I've never heard blues played on the mandolin before, but that was quite nice actually. Like that! :)

BayBear, blues string bands were very popular in the 20's & 30's before the juke box came about.

Here is a little background information about one blues mandolinist, Carl Maritin; he was a member of The Mississippi Sheiks.

Carl Martin

The most famous blues mandolinist has to be Yank Rachell. Another rather well-known blues mandolin player was Johnny Young from Vicksburg, Mississippi.

There's really an interesting story about how Yank got his first mandolin at this link:

Yank Rachell

More on the history of mando blues:

Mandolin Blues Story

A little bit on Johnny Young. It was a special treat to learn that he was from Vicksburg since that is where I'm at now.

Johnny Young

Here are some short mp3 clips of various mando blues songs featured in Mandolin Magazine. What's neat about these is that the sheet music is included with each publication. These clips are fun to learn.

mp3 clips

BamaHeat said:
bear facts said:
See how many of these musicians you know.

I always feel like doing the possum stomp or buck dance when I hear this bluegrass standard.

Here Is Some Pickin'

Man, I remember seeing that clip on TV one night. I've never really gotten into bluegrass really, but stuff like that makes me wanna learn how to play the mandolin! I can't believe that Steve Martin can play the banjo that well!

One time I saw a bunch of guys at a music store in Nashville playing like that. It was like they had just picked up some instruments off the shelves and started jamming. If I could be anything in the world, I would be in a band of some sort. It just gets me so excited watching them play. The look like they are having so much fun :lol:

moreno_iv said:
BamaHeat said:
bear facts said:
See how many of these musicians you know.

I always feel like doing the possum stomp or buck dance when I hear this bluegrass standard.

Here Is Some Pickin'

Man, I remember seeing that clip on TV one night. I've never really gotten into bluegrass really, but stuff like that makes me wanna learn how to play the mandolin! I can't believe that Steve Martin can play the banjo that well!

One time I saw a bunch of guys at a music store in Nashville playing like that. It was like they had just picked up some instruments off the shelves and started jamming. If I could be anything in the world, I would be in a band of some sort. It just gets me so excited watching them play. The look like they are having so much fun :lol:

Yep, moreno, bluegrass becomes an acquired taste for many folks. I have more of an affinity toward the instrumental playing in the genre instead of the high lonesome vocals. Unitl I began playing a mandolin, myself, I really did not fully understand the ability it takes to play acoustic bluegrass masterfully. Now I have a greater appreciation for these bluegrass musicians. Bluegrass lyrics may seem simple but I promise you the music that drives those songs is anything but simple to play at "bluegrass speed."

As far as Steve Martin is concerned, I saw him perform in Nashville in late 77 on his "Wild and Crazy Guy" Tour. He hammered his banjo very well that night, too, while wearing those stupid animal balloons and arrow through the head hat.

I'm drawn to bluegrass because of its musicianship. Seeing one of the bluegrass masters perform live is truly something to behold.

Yep, moreno, bluegrass becomes an acquired taste for many folks. I have more of an affinity toward the instrumental playing in the genre instead of the high lonesome vocals. Unitl I began playing a mandolin, myself, I really did not fully understand the ability it takes to play acoustic bluegrass masterfully. Now I have a greater appreciation for these bluegrass musicians. Bluegrass lyrics may seem simple but I promise you the music that drives those songs is anything but simple to play at "bluegrass speed."

As far as Steve Martin is concerned, I saw him perform in Nashville in late 77 on his "Wild and Crazy Guy" Tour. He hammered his banjo very well that night, too, while wearing those stupid animal balloons and arrow through the head hat.

I'm drawn to bluegrass because of its musicianship. Seeing one of the bluegrass masters perform live is truly something to behold.

I know what you mean about being drawn to music because of its musicianship. I've always been one of those people who can memorize the music to a song, but never the words. I think that's why I've always been a big fan of Allman Brothers and Led Zeppelin. I played an instrument in the band when I was in high school and I play bass guitar and acoustic, so I have a pretty good appreciation for the technical skill that you have to have to be good at any of that.

Keep the posts coming, I have been enjoying them!

Here is an interesting story, for those who appreciate Bluegrass.

I am (of course) originally from Alabama, but have lived here in Lawrenceburg Kentucky for almost 4 years now. You can find people everywhere that can just pick up a banjo or mandolin or whatever and shred it up.
Case in point.

A few weeks back, we had moved into a new house and were having a yard sale to get rid of extra junk.

My new next door neighbor had a banjo that she was wanting to sell, so I put it out on display for her.

This old fellow walks up, browses my wares, then admires the banjo. So I tell him to give it a spin. He said, "Well, I really play lead guitar, but I can pick a banjo...a little, but I'm not that good at it."

He picked up that banjo and commenced to play the fire out of it. I mean like a pro! :shock: So I said, "hmm, you could've fooled me!"

So I went inside and pulled out my dreadnaught and handed it to him, then he commenced to really shred the heck out of it!

My point I guess is that he guy said he was really not that good at the banjo, but by my standards, he was a virtuoso.

The skill and dedication of these bluegrass musicians is unreal.

I play my guitar a little, REALLY not that good at it, but I can definitely appreciate the hours of practice and dedication it takes to get that good at an instrument.

And these men and women can usually play multiple instruments at a professional level.

Anyway, who can't appreciate a form of music where they sing about Jesus in one song and White Lightnin' in the next. :lol:

bear facts said:
BayBear said:
I've never heard blues played on the mandolin before, but that was quite nice actually. Like that! :)

BayBear, blues string bands were very popular in the 20's & 30's before the juke box came about.

Here is a little background information about one blues mandolinist, Carl Maritin; he was a member of The Mississippi Sheiks.

Carl Martin

The most famous blues mandolinist has to be Yank Rachell. Another rather well-known blues mandolin player was Johnny Young from Vicksburg, Mississippi.

There's really an interesting story about how Yank got his first mandolin at this link:

Yank Rachell

Mandolin Blues Story

A little bit on Johnny Young. It was a special treat to learn that he was from Vicksburg since that is where I'm at now.

Johnny Young

Here are some short mp3 clips of various mando blues songs featured in Mandolin Magazine. What's neat about these is that the sheet music is included with each publication. These clips are fun to learn.

mp3 clips

It's hard to believe that these guys just picked it up and taught themselves to play. Truly amazing. It's such a sweet and mellow sound. Gonna have to look into getting a CD of that!

RolltideinKY said:

I am (of course) originally from Alabama, but have lived here in Lawrenceburg Kentucky for almost 4 years now. You can find people everywhere that can just pick up a banjo or mandolin or whatever and shred it up.
Case in point.

A few weeks back, we had moved into a new house and were having a yard sale to get rid of extra junk.

My new next door neighbor had a banjo that she was wanting to sell, so I put it out on display for her.

This old fellow walks up, browses my wares, then admires the banjo. So I tell him to give it a spin. He said, "Well, I really play lead guitar, but I can pick a banjo...a little, but I'm not that good at it."

He picked up that banjo and commenced to play the fire out of it. I mean like a pro! :shock: So I said, "hmm, you could've fooled me!"

So I went inside and pulled out my dreadnaught and handed it to him, then he commenced to really shred the heck out of it!

My point I guess is that he guy said he was really not that good at the banjo, but by my standards, he was a virtuoso.

I play my guitar a little, REALLY not that good at it, but I can definitely appreciate the hours of practice and dedication it takes to get that good at an instrument.

And these men and women can usually play multiple instruments at a professional level.

Anyway, who can't appreciate a form of music where they sing about Jesus in one song and White Lightnin' in the next. :lol:

Great story, RolltideinKY. I understand completely where you are coming from in terms of how some of these bluegrass musicians can play.

Funny you should end your post with the comment about "who can't appreciate a form of music where they sing about Jesus in one song and White Lightnin' in the next.

I was listening to an bluegrass interview with Pine Mountain Railroad (band's name) and they were talking about this very thing. In fact, they said when they were recording their latest album that they realized they had too many murder songs on the playlist, so they decided to throw in some gospel. :D

The lead singer went on to say that there were three basic bluegrass themes known as the 3 M's: "Moonshine, mayhem, and murder."

BayBear said:
bear facts said:
BayBear said:

Carl Martin

Yank Rachell

Mandolin Blues Story

Johnny Young

mp3 clips

It's hard to believe that these guys just picked it up and taught themselves to play. Truly amazing. It's such a sweet and mellow sound. Gonna have to look into getting a CD of that!

BayBear, here are some suggestions for possible CDs if you are truly interested in mandolin blues.

These first two cds have been released by Testament Records:

Mandolin Blues featuring Johnny Young, Yank Rachell, Carl Martin, and Willie Hatcher.

The Chicago String Band featuring Carl Martin, Johnny Young, John Lee Granderson, and John Wrencher.

This third CD was relaeased by Delmark Records:

Yank Rachell's Tennessee Jug-Busters Mandolin Blues featuring Yank Rachell, Big Joe Williams, Sleepy John Estes, Hammie Nixon, and Mike Bloomfield.

You can purchased all three of these at Amazon.com

Now a CD that was released earlier this year that has some great contemporary mandolin blues is Rich DelGrosso's Get Your Nose Outta My Bizness! with special guests Pinetop Perkins, James harman, and Doug MacLeod.

I actually purchased this CD from Rich's own website. When I received my copy from Rich in the mail, he had even autographed the liner notes personally to me without me even asking him.

http://www.mandolinblues.com/CDAd.html

Btw, DelGrosso was nominated for 2006 Blues Music Award, Best Instrumentalist: Mandolin. He is considered one of the world's greatest "living" blues mandolin players and probably knows more about the genre's history than anyone else. He is a true historian when it comes to the blues mandolin. He even spent some time learning the craft under the tutlelage of Yank Rachell.

moreno_iv said:
I know what you mean about being drawn to music because of its musicianship. I've always been one of those people who can memorize the music to a song, but never the words. I think that's why I've always been a big fan of Allman Brothers and Led Zeppelin. I played an instrument in the band when I was in high school and I play bass guitar and acoustic, so I have a pretty good appreciation for the technical skill that you have to have to be good at any of that.

Keep the posts coming, I have been enjoying them!

Thanks for letting me know. I will, indeed, keep 'em coming, then.

Yep, moreno, Allman Brothers and Led Zeppelin were important musical influences for me when I was in high school a few light years ago. I also know that LZ's "Tangerine" works well as a mandolin piece.

Btw, the following web site Mandolin Cafe even has a few mando tabs of Led Zeppelin songs, if you ever get the hankering to pick up the instrument and give it a try:

Tabs

I reckon it's time for some more pickin'.

We'll quicken the pace with a little diddy by Sam Bush and David Grisman. Btw, one of my all-time favorite mandolin CDs is Shady Grove performed by David Grisman and the late Jerry Garcia of The Grateful Dead.

Ralph's Banjo Special

And NO! That is not Ian Anderson along for the ride! :D

bear facts said:
RolltideinKY said:

Case in point.

Great story, RolltideinKY. I understand completely where you are coming from in terms of how some of these bluegrass musicians can play.

Funny you should end your post with the comment about "who can't appreciate a form of music where they sing about Jesus in one song and White Lightnin' in the next.

I was listening to an bluegrass interview with Pine Mountain Railroad (band's name) and they were talking about this very thing. In fact, they said when they were recording their latest album that they realized they had too many murder songs on the playlist, so they decided to throw in some gospel. :D

The lead singer went on to say that there were three basic bluegrass themes known as the 3 M's: "Moonshine, mayhem, and murder."

I had that revelation about Moonshine and Jesus a while back. A local BBQ joint here in L'burg has Bluegrass jam sessions on Thursday nights. They had just performed an old Gospel hymn, bluegrass style, then ran right into "Mountain Dew" LOL.

I do like me some BBQ and Bluegrass though!

bear facts said:
BayBear said:
bear facts said:
BayBear said:

Carl Martin

Yank Rachell

Mandolin Blues Story

Johnny Young

mp3 clips

BayBear, here are some suggestions for possible CDs if you are truly interested in mandolin blues.

These first two cds have been released by Testament Records:

Mandolin Blues featuring Johnny Young, Yank Rachell, Carl Martin, and Willie Hatcher.

The Chicago String Band featuring Carl Martin, Johnny Young, John Lee Granderson, and John Wrencher.

This third CD was relaeased by Delmark Records:

Yank Rachell's Tennessee Jug-Busters Mandolin Blues featuring Yank Rachell, Big Joe Williams, Sleepy John Estes, Hammie Nixon, and Mike Bloomfield.

You can purchased all three of these at Amazon.com

Now a CD that was released earlier this year that has some great contemporary mandolin blues is Rich DelGrosso's Get Your Nose Outta My Bizness! with special guests Pinetop Perkins, James harman, and Doug MacLeod.

I actually purchased this CD from Rich's own website. When I received my copy from Rich in the mail, he had even autographed the liner notes personally to me without me even asking him.

http://www.mandolinblues.com/CDAd.html

Btw, DelGrosso was nominated for 2006 Blues Music Award, Best Instrumentalist: Mandolin. He is considered one of the world's greatest "living" blues mandolin players and probably knows more about the genre's history than anyone else. He is a true historian when it comes to the blues mandolin. He even spent some time learning the craft under the tutlelage of Yank Rachell.

Bear Facts, I appreciate the links and the recommendations. I definitely want to add one or two of these CDs to my collection. Where have I been that I hadn't heard this before? Under a rock, obviously! Thanks again and keep 'em coming!

Back
Top Bottom