bear facts mando clip of the week (any genre)

He may not be the Father of Bluegrass but he is the King of Bluegrass. Yes siree! Mr. Jimmy Martin.

I was fortunate to see him at a festival in Durham, North Carolina, back in 2002 before his health really began to decline.

This first clip gives you a glimpse of JM's sense of humor

Jimmy Martin - King of Bluegrass

Now here is a another version of a song I posted earlier. This time Jimmy Martin is being backed by the late, great fiddler Vassar Clements and also by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

Sitting On Top of the World

Here is Jimmy Martin, describing how he came to play bluegrass music.

Jimmy Martin Interview

Just a little information for the folks around Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. Mandolin extraordinaire, Chris Thile, is coming your way. If you have a hankering for acoustic music then I highly encourage you to check him out. I took my family and drove up to Memphis for one of his shows last January. And the trip was simply awesome. The dude can flat out play and knows how to work an audience, too.

On October 15, CT will be playing solo at Vucan Aftertunes at Vulcan Park,
1701 Valley View Drive, Birmingham, Al. Tickets are only $6

Here Chris is with one of my favorite mandolin heroes, Ronnie McCoury, and also with Tim O' Brien. They do a great rendition of an old Monroe classic.

Bluegrass Stomp

Here CT is with his old group, Nickel Creek, playing the "Smoothie Song."

Smoothie Song

Here's a little something different. Chris Thile, along with the Tensions Mountain Boys, doing a cover of Radiohead's "Morning Bell." Music makes up for the poor video.

Morning Bell

I've always liked Nickel Creek. I knew that guy could play mando, but I didn't know he could play like that! What is that instrument that TC is playing in "Smoothie Song"? It looks like it has the strings of a mando, but it just looks different.

I really like that Radiohead cover. I saw Radiohead live at Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta once and they were really, really good. TC really showcases his vocals in that song.

Thanks bear!

moreno_iv said:
I've always liked Nickel Creek. I knew that guy could play mando, but I didn't know he could play like that! What is that instrument that TC is playing in "Smoothie Song"? It looks like it has the strings of a mando, but it just looks different.

I really like that Radiohead cover. I saw Radiohead live at Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta once and they were really, really good. TC really showcases his vocals in that song.

Thanks bear!

I believe that is an octave mandolin that Thile is playing on "Smoothie Song," but don't hold me to that. It is either a O.M. or Irish Bouzouki. I have seen these words use interchangeably, but I do believe there are differences between the two instruments, with neck length and tone being a couple of them. Again, don't hold me to those words; I have not researched either instrument enough to know for sure.

Yep, CT pushes the boundaries when it comes to adapting the mandolin to other genres of music. I saw him play "Juicebox" by the Strokes in Memphis and he brought the house down. I noticed on his new cd that he covers the White Stripes' "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" and also the Strokes' "Heart in a Cage."

In fact, I found a clip of CT doing "Heart in a Cage." Pardon the camera angle; don't know what is up with that. Sorry about the background drone, too.

Heart in a Cage (Live)

Thile sure can put unique contemporary bluegrass and jazz twists to current music.

I guess you knew Nickel Creek is finally parting ways to work full-time on solo projects. I understand the reasoning behind the breakup but the group had a very loyal following that supported them in any venue.

moreno, I envy you for getting the opportunity to see Radiohead live. I have always had an affinity for that group. Lucky you!

I like how he can interpret other songs and make them into mandolin songs. I remember seeing some Nickel Creek videos on CMT and always really liked their songs. I think it was due to his playing now that I see him on his own.

Yeah, Radiohead was really good. I saw them right after they put out "Hail to The Theif". They don't do a whole lot of jamming, but they are note for note dead-on when they play a song. That was the first really big show I saw, and it set a good precedent.

I've never really gone out and bought an Earl Scruggs album, but I've always liked him when I heard him. Maybe I should go out and buy one.

I really liked that Old Crow Medicine Show. It's so soulful. I can see myself sittin on a rockin chair on the front porch with a nice glass of bourbon while the breeze blows in early fall listening to them play. Man, that would be the life, eh bear? :wink:

Since Bear has been on the road with his son this week, I decided to find a mando clip of my own for everyone's viewing pleasure. This is actually a Led Zeppelin cover band called ZepAgain and they are playing "Going to California". The mandolin player plays very well.

Going to California

moreno_iv said:
Since Bear has been on the road with his son this week, I decided to find a mando clip of my own for everyone's viewing pleasure. This is actually a Led Zeppelin cover band called ZepAgain and they are playing "Going to California". The mandolin player plays very well.

Going to California

Thanks, moreno, for covering my back. Speaking of covering, the lead singer does a solid impersonation of Robert Plant.

There are a few Led Zeppelin tunes, which are perfect for the mandolin, "Tangerine" being one of my favorites.

bear facts said:
I have a feeling this group is about to bust onto the contemporary bluegrass and acoustic scene.

Old School Freight Train

That is a good band. How do you keep up with all the up and coming bluegrass bands? It's not like they get a lot of radio play, and MTV dang sure doesn't play stuff like that!

bear facts said:
moreno, even though there isn't a mando in this clip, I thought I would post this LZ cover for you.

Rain Song

Not for sure if this dude is really playing the tune, though. Confused

That dude def isn't playing that song!! The strings are vibrating and he isn't even coming close to staying with the picking!! :lol: :lol:

It's still a good song though, so I can't complain too much!

bear facts said:
Well this trio ain't Waylon but they git r done. :wink:

Some great mando licks by Marty Stuart in this one:

Are You Sure Hank Done It This A Way

And here is the "American Original" himself; he's one of Factor's all-time favorites.

The One and Only Waylon

That is some good stuff there Factor. I do like Waylon Jennings and Hank Williams Jr. The style of music that they all played was such a good blend of foot-stompin' country and a little blues and little Southern Rock. I love that stuff!

This is pushing the envelope here . . . "Speed Metal Bluegrass" is what they call it . . . Looks and sounds ike someone got hold of some bad moonshine . . . I do dig the three fiddle players and dancing cowgirls . . . makes me want to giddy up . . . Warning !!! This group's name is X-rated and I cannot censor or black the name out at YouTube.

I'm sure old Bill Monroe would be rolling over in his grave if he heard this reendition of his song:

Wheel Hoss

Time for a "hoe"down!!!

Back
Top Bottom