| FTBL Bama opens at -11.5 at MSU

My first recollection of my Dad is not good, but it was my fault. A story I have told on here before about getting the whipping of my life.

I had been instructed to never ever cross Graymont Avenue without an adult. Well, in 1945-46 there weren't a helluva lot of automobiles whizzing up and down Graymont. So a friend, who was probably under the same edict, and I disobeyed and went over to play in the park next to Legion Field. When my Dad got through with me I remember thinking I might have been better off being hit by a car. I thought he was going to kill me.

My first recollection of my Dad is not good, but it was my fault. A story I have told on here before about getting the whipping of my life.

I had been instructed to never ever cross Graymont Avenue without an adult. Well, in 1945-46 there weren't a helluva lot of automobiles whizzing up and down Graymont. So a friend, who was probably under the same edict, and I disobeyed and went over to play in the park next to Legion Field. When my Dad got through with me I remember thinking I might have been better off being hit by a car. I thought he was going to kill me.
See even in your youth you were a troubling kid! OK! I have to know is it a beating or whipping? But by the way you wrote here it was a beating?

And to that end, I thank God for my Army father whooping my tail... I'd probably be dead or in jail for killing somebody if He didn't.

And to that end, I thank God for my Army father whooping my tail... I'd probably be dead or in jail for killing somebody if He didn't.
Maybe dead from being hit by a car but not in jail. I learned better than that from my policeman Grandfather who was the male figure in my formative years. I was with him anytime I could be. Especially at Rickwood, where he worked security during Barons games. Spent many evenings there. I had the run of the place. Fans probably thought I was the owner's Grandson. :D

Maybe dead from being hit by a car but not in jail. I learned better than that from my policeman Grandfather who was the male figure in my formative years. I was with him anytime I could be. Especially at Rickwood, where he worked security during Barons games. Spent many evenings there. I had the run of the place. Fans probably thought I was the owner's Grandson. :D
Loved going to Barons games. Saw a lot of big "to be" stars there

You probably did also .... I listened to the games on radio when it was "ticker tape".
Bet there aint many remembering that
Probably not many even knowing what that is

Ok. Hold ur hand up if you know what that was!!!

Love this. I wish I could have seen that area back when it was thriving... My Mom grew up in West End, near Elmwood. My Dad grew up in Ensley. The Ensley community meant a lot to him and he hated to see how it ended up.

You probably did also .... I listened to the games on radio when it was "ticker tape".

Raises hand. Ticker tape sports reporting was best personified in the movie "The Sting".

It was only the away games (against the Atlanta Crackers, Mobile Bears, Memphis Chicks et al) that came to the radio station via ticker tape. Do I remember it? I can even give you the name of the announcer who dramatized those tapes on air and did the live broadcasts when the Barons played at home in Rickwood: Gabby Bell. Lord, I haven't thought of that name in decades.

I know what it is in for a parade and the stock market. But not in sport. The Atlanta Crackers I do know. My brother in law and nephew would watch them play on TV.
This from a question about "The Sting"

..."The movie left me with the impression that the results came over the telegraph to the Western Union office, and were forwarded over the wire from there to betting establishments in the city, where they were then read from the ticker tape."...

Change "betting establishments" to "the radio station" and you get the picture. The announcer would read the 'play by play' from the tape and make it sound as if he was at the game. Had sound effects like bat hitting ball, crowd noise, etc.

Last edited:
Great story. Free food and drinks?

It was only the away games (against the Atlanta Crackers, Mobile Bears, Memphis Chicks et al) that came to the radio station via ticker tape. Do I remember it? I can even give you the name of the announcer who dramatized those tapes on air and did the live broadcasts when the Barons played at home in Rickwood: Gabby Bell. Lord, I haven't thought of that name in decades.
Didnt remember "just away games"....didn't remember announcer...
But there was my favorite player...bobby mickolla ( who knows how it was spelled) ....
Shortstop........memories

Back
Top Bottom