| FTBL Bama Nuggets

Part 1: These are quick but should be powerful
  • Pete Golding is calling a good majority of the defense this year. Saban feels he has more experience than Tosh, especially with the secondary
  • Josh Gattis is calling most of the RPO plays this year, but Locksley is still the main man and Saban is extremely happy with Locks
  • Source tells me that they are 60/40 thinking Jalen Hurts now stays at Alabama after this season
  • Source tells me if there are any more injuries at DB, you could see DeVonta Smith possible start getting reps in the secondary. Remember Saban did this during August in case of an emergency.
  • Source questions if Raekown Davis will leave after this year because of his average play this year
Part 2: Drove home with Nick Saban

It was around 6:50 p.m. last night I was just leaving the Mal Moore complex after Nick Saban had spoken to the media. I was backing out my 2005 Nissan Frontier Truck and figured this black sedan would let me back out, but nope, this black sedan flew right past me, even angling the car to go around me. Whatever, no big deal I thought. I pulled up to a stoplight against this fancy sedan a half mile later, it's an S-Class Mercedes, that is shining as black as the night sky.

It's Saban. Haha. He's on the phone, making moves I figure. I pull ahead at the light, he's driving rather slow as we cross the bridge over the Black Warrior. Just then, he pulls to the left and passes like six cars and now has a big lead on me. I'm not trying to follow him, we live out towards the same direction.

We're now on a one lane road past Urban Cookhouse and he's flying, I'm he's going at least 75 mph! my little Nissan is shaking like a WW2 flying fortress at this point. We then hit about five red stop lights (I wonder if he was pissed like I was haha). He then proceeded towards his house and I made the turn to mine. Most exciting drive home in my life. Told the wife when I got home, she said Nick Saban isn't a celebrity in her opinion and wasn't impressed. Haha.

Good times!!!

Interesting whether or not it's Tosh or Goulding calling the shots on D...

I do worry about Tosh's inexperience. But ultimately if the players make plays we should be fine.

It all starts with the DL... If they can affect the QB then the back 7 are instantly better players.

Part 1: These are quick but should be powerful
  • Pete Golding is calling a good majority of the defense this year. Saban feels he has more experience than Tosh, especially with the secondary
  • Josh Gattis is calling most of the RPO plays this year, but Locksley is still the main man and Saban is extremely happy with Locks
  • Source tells me that they are 60/40 thinking Jalen Hurts now stays at Alabama after this season
  • Source tells me if there are any more injuries at DB, you could see DeVonta Smith possible start getting reps in the secondary. Remember Saban did this during August in case of an emergency.
  • Source questions if Raekown Davis will leave after this year because of his average play this year
Part 2: Drove home with Nick Saban

It was around 6:50 p.m. last night I was just leaving the Mal Moore complex after Nick Saban had spoken to the media. I was backing out my 2005 Nissan Frontier Truck and figured this black sedan would let me back out, but nope, this black sedan flew right past me, even angling the car to go around me. Whatever, no big deal I thought. I pulled up to a stoplight against this fancy sedan a half mile later, it's an S-Class Mercedes, that is shining as black as the night sky.

It's Saban. Haha. He's on the phone, making moves I figure. I pull ahead at the light, he's driving rather slow as we cross the bridge over the Black Warrior. Just then, he pulls to the left and passes like six cars and now has a big lead on me. I'm not trying to follow him, we live out towards the same direction.

We're now on a one lane road past Urban Cookhouse and he's flying, I'm he's going at least 75 mph! my little Nissan is shaking like a WW2 flying fortress at this point. We then hit about five red stop lights (I wonder if he was pissed like I was haha). He then proceeded towards his house and I made the turn to mine. Most exciting drive home in my life. Told the wife when I got home, she said Nick Saban isn't a celebrity in her opinion and wasn't impressed. Haha.

Good times!!!

Nissan pickup just as fast as MB S-Class....not a good look for MB asking 90K for that sedan

You know what? I actually believe this one. I've always thought it was Eno/Locksley calling plays, but I didn't realize Gattis played a role in this. It might be a combination of Eno/Gattis/Locksley working together each week to develop plan for the player.

I'm somewhat little perplexed by Tosh and Peter. It should've been Tosh calling.. to get some experience... But it might explain some issue with communication.

Only one I question is the statement/question about Raekwon. He is creating lots of trouble by taking up double teams and he also has affected the QB quite a bit with pressures and hurries although he isn't getting the sacks.

Only one I question is the statement/question about Raekwon. He is creating lots of trouble by taking up double teams and he also has affected the QB quite a bit with pressures and hurries although he isn't getting the sacks.

Great players are going to make a great impact.... Hasn't happened yet.
I don't question what he wrote. I look at the statement as being very short sighted.

When Bama fans saw Q Williams turning in some great numbers Davis was being doubled teamed. When Buggs has been showing out we've seen that attention moved to Williams and Davis. In fact, if you look across the defensive line I'm betting there's very little difference in tackle totals for these three--the glaring difference coming in tackles for loss. The thing is he's getting D. Payne type attention this season. The attention Payne had led to what we saw from Davis last year.

My opinion as it is...

I hope we got that tight end screen stuff figured out. They were killing us with all the delayed releases they were getting. With Missouri's receives nicked up Dooley is going to make sure we see a lot of the same. They also run a play every 6 seconds so they're number one in that department. Our defense is going to get stressed again.

They also run a play every 6 seconds so they're number one in that department. Our defense is going to get stressed again.
They aren't running that many more plays than your other SEC teams. Maybe one more drive per game, but it's certainly not to the extreme I'm thinking you're suggesting.

From my perspective, right or wrong, it seems as though our middle linebackers are out of position much of the time. It looks as though they may be slow to read their keys, slow at diagnosing plays or maybe calling out the wrong signals? Can not covering the RB swinging out of the backfield or not being in position to cover middle screens to tight ends or not in position to tackle RB breaking through wide open running lanes be attributed to the players? Or are the coaches, Tosh and Pete, not doing a good enough job teaching the position or not calling the correct defensive set. It sort of looks like the way kirby used to call our defensive sets which was mostly read and react. As opposed to the past two years under DC Pruit's balls to the wall pressure defense.

I'm calling bullshit on most, especially Goulding calling the D. He's been here what... 1 year? Tosh has years of experience with this D. Not as coordinator by name, but he has tons more knowledge of this defense.

I'm calling BS on Saban leaving at 6:50.
I may be completely off base here. I don't know. There's a few things that jumped out about this writer a few weeks ago. I can't recall what the story was off the top of my head. Let me think about it a bit. I do recall it was enough to send me on a "who is this guy" trip around the 'net.

He's a network guy. So, when it comes to "source tells me" that is a broad scope. He also owns two other sites--one prep, one for Colorado football--and those are also part of the Rivals premium network family. That's what gives me pause. It gives me pause because it makes me hold serious doubts he's attending press conference.

It's my opinion that while Rivals still employs some good writers, and provides good content for its premium customers, their shuffling of staff and restructuring has hurt their product. In a sense it's the same thing we're seeing in the print media. Your local, city-specific types of papers are still making a profit. You're larger umbrella type of set-ups are laying people off.

I believe Mack Wilson and Raekwon actual play hasn't come near the hype about either. 3 new coaches on defense has to have an negative effect as well. The look on Nick's face last week while shaking hands with the Hog HC of concern. Bama has to get a ton better on defense if they intend to win the SEC.

I believe Mack Wilson and Raekwon actual play hasn't come near the hype about either. 3 new coaches on defense has to have an negative effect as well. The look on Nick's face last week while shaking hands with the Hog HC of concern. Bama has to get a ton better on defense if they intend to win the SEC.

Not sure if you're talking just about this year, but both players have played well above their recruiting ranking during their time at Alabama. Wilson led the team in interceptions last year despite being hurt for a few and Davis led the team in sacks. Not bad for a couple of sophomores. I don't think they have played that terrible this year. I like Dylan Moses a lot, but he's more out of position than Wilson. Teams are being forced to throw on his because they get behind so quick and by so many, so a linebacker is not going to have the stats they normally would if they were playing tighter games.

Back
Top Bottom