| FTBL Bama Losing The Georgia Game...

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Staff
...could provide more insight of Saban's progress in developing a championship program than a win. In my mind, the big question is how will this team face the adversity of a big loss or a key injury? Like all Bama fans, I'd rather the team stay healthy and keep winning, but how this team reacts to a major setback remains uncertain. We've seen an ability to respond to in-game momentum swings and big plays. How will this team respond to a loss? I hope we don't have to find out, but I believe Saban has this year's team capable of surviving a tough loss.

If we lose Saturday, I believe we'll go to Red Stick 8-1.

RTR,

Tim

I totally agree. Last year, this team had a lot of confidence in itself in big games, and all of those games were close, with a chance to win. The problem was when we lost those big games (UGA, FSU, LSU, AUB), we didn't respond to the loss very well. Georgia ran all over us in the 1st half last year. Second half we played better. After the UGA loss, we struggled against Houston and Ole Miss, but we won. We beat down UT, which was awesome! Then lost to LSU in heartbreaking fasion, and looked miserable against MSU and La-Monroe.

I want to see how we respond to adversity, but I'd rather just keep on winning. Responding to adversity is a measure of the coach and the character of the players, not necessarily their skill.

It Takes Eleven said:
...could provide more insight of Saban's progress in developing a championship program than a win. In my mind, the big question is how will this team face the adversity of a big loss or a key injury? Like all Bama fans, I'd rather the team stay healthy and keep winning, but how this team reacts to a major setback remains uncertain. We've seen an ability to respond to in-game momentum swings and big plays. How will this team respond to a loss? I hope we don't have to find out, but I believe Saban has this year's team capable of surviving a tough loss.

If we lose Saturday, I believe we'll go to Red Stick 8-1.

RTR,

Tim

I've been thinking the same thing, Tim. Seeing this team bounce back from a tough loss would almost be as enjoyable as winning against Georgia. I obviously didn't predict a undefeated season, so in a small way I wouldn't mind getting a loss under the belt.

I'm in no way asking for a loss or even expecting one for that matter. I think what this team needs is a fight through adversity, and a loss would be just that. I would gladly accept another win, which could in return be a even bigger positive for this team. I just don't want them to get the big head going into November.

...I agree with most everything that's been stated on this thread. But, if I continue to dwell on it, I'm left to wonder was our performance against Tulane really that bad because we lost 2 starters on the OL? Or, was it that combined with the fact that we may have taken them too lightly?

If I'm a coach, I guess I'd have to worry about preparing the team for such things. But, as a fan I'm in a mode right now where I can't even think about losing. We are healthy now and I sure hope we stay that way, like we did in '92. I'm taking it one week at a time and will wait until we've actually lost before I consider the prospect of how we can learn from losing. I've already had plenty of time to think about that over the past several years. :(

Right now I see one top 5 team we have to beat on Saturday. For now, at least, I'm going to stay optimistic and let the coaches earning the big bucks worry about the details. For now, I'm going to keep my head in the sand and milk this good "high" that comes with a winning streak for as long as I can. I may crash a little harder when/if we lose, but for now it sure feels good to be soaring again. :D

businessman-s-head_~DCO2043.jpg

Roll Tide!

Since the Clemson win to start this season off, I've been thinking about how good we are. Due to the nature of that win, with no really big plays, relatively penalty free and no one player who stood out above the others (TEAM) I have come to believe that this team is a good deal better than last year's team. Last year's team didn't lose by more than 7. Using that logic, I think we will win 10 games (or more) this year. Yes, I just made a big ol' jug of Kool Aid.

AFF wrote "will wait until we've actually lost before I consider the prospect of how we can learn from losing. I've already had plenty of time to think about that over the past several years".

DITTO!! I am just enjoying the moment - game by game, week by week. This team has something special. They may not win them all....but then again......

Call it Kool-aid or wearing crimson glasses or whatever but I'm not ready to learn or evaluate just yet

Bama losing the game to Ga.

A win will provide a lot more insight into Coach Saban's progress to a Championship program . Damn adversity . The Crimson Tide players and even Bama's fans stuck with this program 10+ yrs. through adversity .It' time to kick some ass . RDT !!!

I think back to last year's game against UGA. They beat us but it took OT for them to do it. This year, our team is alot better. Especially the OL and DL. What I'm not sure about is, how much better is UGA than last year? I haven't seen a whole GA game this year but I know that they didn't really beat GA SO. like they should've and So. Carolina damn near beat them. The concerns I have is, can our DBs keep Stafford from connecting with AG Green most of the game and can our rush defense stop Mareno AND can THEIR rush defense stop Coffee, Ingram, Grant, and Upchurch. Us being loaded at RB and having a beast of a DL gives me hope. But, the BIGGEST concern I have is, can JP connect with the long ball? Or maybe he will we dump pass on them all night, which wouldn't bother me none since it worked with Clemson. We are loaded with WR just as much as RB but can our QB hit them? It always seems like JP has his best games against the tougher opponent(Tennessee '07, Ark '07, Clemson '08). I just hope he brings that to Athens. RTR.

Re: Bama losing the game to Ga.

dirtroadlizzard said:
A win will provide a lot more insight into Coach Saban's progress to a Championship program . Damn adversity . The Crimson Tide players and even Bama's fans stuck with this program 10+ yrs. through adversity .It' time to kick some ass . RDT !!!

Amen brother. Let's worry about adversity when it happens, right now let's worry about putting a lopsided victory behind us and getting ready for the toughest opponent we have faced thus far. I think this group of guys is a true T E A M and got a good feeling about this year way before the season started. It started with what the veterans were saying about the recruits. I just got a good feeling about this team, but really didn't think at that time we had anything for UGA or UF and another loss to the Barn was possible. This team more than any other I can recall in many years is working together as one unit and I have complete confidence that a loss to Georgia (the #1 ranked team going into the season) will not tear that apart. However, we are in a position to beat them, so let's seize the moment and worry about the other when we have something to worry about.

I hear ya elba! I don't want to find out how we bounce baqck from adversity yet. I just want to win baby! I hope Tulane is the only adversity we see for a LOOOONG time.

Back
Top Bottom