| FTBL Away Tix

To this, I'm suggesting tents. And not just for a ball game weekend.

One of the best camping trips I've had recently was on an island in the middle of Lake Marion. We literally burned out our campground: three of us, four tents, five days.
Well. Many use tents actually....come october anyway....

Nice lake....wooded...nice bathrooms...swim beach...rentals of boats...good fishing...playground.....safe... 30 minutes to BD...

But tents???????? For the young n hardy....

But tents???????? For the young n hardy....
Add an air mattress and you're using the same equipment.

The camper gets its use each year but we've already decided the fall trip will be under tents.

Side story: Reminds me of the last storm that came through which ended up doing some damage to Santee National. It was our annual "cold weather trip" and they had half of the park closed for repair while our side was practically empty. Except ...

The clean up crew for the other side of the park all stayed in our area—quarter of a mile away at least. 38-40 in all in a tent, working community. They were up at the crack of dawn cooking breakfast over a fire ... off to work and we'd see them that night when the sun was going down.

The plan is to return to the same area this fall.

I just received an offer to request Tennessee away game tickets a few minutes ago. They want $120 a piece, which I imagine will be at the upper part of the stadium. I thought about you when I saw this.
Yeah, I’d pay that. I really need 4 because I’m dragging my son and his girlfriend with us for backup lol

The clean up crew for the other side of the park all stayed in our area—quarter of a mile away at least. 38-40 in all in a tent, working community. They were up at the crack of dawn cooking breakfast over a fire ... off to work and we'd see them that night when the sun was going down.

The plan is to return to the same area this fall.

Now that is my kinda camping! Not RVing. I'm actually about to go to Boy Scout summer camp with my son & his Troop at Camp Woodruff in North Georgia this upcoming week.

I'd like to get back to Lake Lurleen for a weekend game in the fall. Preferably late Oct or November.

Now that is my kinda camping! Not RVing. I'm actually about to go to Boy Scout summer camp with my son & his Troop at Camp Woodruff in North Georgia this upcoming week.

I'd like to get back to Lake Lurleen for a weekend game in the fall. Preferably late Oct or November.
There are exceptions. I mentioned the cold weather camping trips. When it gets below freezing that's a little too extreme for tents. The last one we had the 2500's bed full of firewood; overflowing in fact. It was a Monday thru Monday trip and we ran out of wood Saturday night. The storm I mentioned earlier? Thank god for that. It took some hiking but at least there was enough damaged trees/limbs for us to get through Monday.

Funny you should mention Lurleen. We're looking at roughing it again on an island in Lake Marion. The lake is more than five times bigger than the park.

There are exceptions. I mentioned the cold weather camping trips. When it gets below freezing that's a little too extreme for tents. The last one we had the 2500's bed full of firewood; overflowing in fact. It was a Monday thru Monday trip and we ran out of wood Saturday night. The storm I mentioned earlier? Thank god for that. It took some hiking but at least there was enough damaged trees/limbs for us to get through Monday.

Funny you should mention Lurleen. We're looking at roughing it again on an island in Lake Marion. The lake is more than five times bigger than the park.

Yeah, I draw the line at anything below 10 degrees at night.

Marion's a big lake & it is pretty cool y'all found an island that the state park will let you camp. How do you guys get there? Motor boat, kayak, canoe, etc?

I ask because years ago we prepped for canoeing/camping the boundry waters of Minnesota & Canada where we portaged to various lakes. And we practiced on Lake Sinclair in GA. It was good prep because of the windy choppy waters we encountered in those lakes in MN. We actually arrived in MN at the tail end of storm that left their largest lake with 6ft waves... NOT fun in a canoe.

Back
Top Bottom