| FTBL As I get into football previews for RTB, here's one last softball thread and I'm putting this to bed

TerryP

Staff
I'll hand it to these Bama fans, the comments were civil and to the point.

Rain hurts almost as much as lost chances

The Norman Transcript
OKLAHOMA CITY — For Oklahoma, immortality will have to wait.

Justice, too.

Give the Sooners an assist Wednesday night and early Thursday morning at Hall of Fame Stadium, for they failed to right the ship in time. And still, understand well this was no way to determine a national champion.

But it did.

Alabama.

The Crimson Tide stopped the Sooners 5-4 at 12:31 Thursday morning. They did it, more than anything, with a quartet of fourth-inning runs.

It just happened to be the same inning the rains came back to northeast Oklahoma City, which just happened to coincide with a walk and three wild pitches — Sooner pitcher Keilani Ricketts unable to control the ball out of her fingers — that led directly to the Crimson Tide’s first run of the game.

That was the moment OU coach Patty Gasso came out of her dugout for the second time to confer with the umpires, and the moment Ricketts made this expression with her arms that told the story, told everybody what the heck was she supposed to do with a slick and soaked ball that kept slipping out of her left hand.

So the game was postponed.

Just maybe, long enough for everybody to put their ponchos on.

Play resumed, Alabama and its fans remained in a frenzy, Ricketts gave up a hit to Amanda Locke, a double to Courtney Conley that tied the game … and then the Sooners did it to themselves.

Fielding Jazlyn Lunceford’s grounder, shortstop Jessica Vest threw it in the mud in front of first baseman Lauren Chamberlain, who couldn’t handle it, who then picked up the ball and threw home even worse than Vest had thrown to her, allowing Conley to cross and the Tide to take the lead.

Simply put, it was the worst, most forgettable and unnecessary half inning in the history of Sooner softball.

It cost OU a national championship.

It was bad enough that everybody was held hostage to a 9:55 p.m. start, a start that would make certain the most important game of the entire college softball season would be played in rain everybody knew would eventually return.

It was bad enough all other interests were placed in front of the interests of the best possible game on the most important night of the season.

It was a crime Ricketts was made to stand in the circle as though standing in the shower, long enough to uncork wild pitch after wild pitch after wild pitch, giving away all the momentum the Sooners had secured with a second-inning solo home run from, who else, Ricketts, and a two-run, third-inning blast from Chamberlain.

It was horribly unfortunate, for the second straight game, OU had to be a party to its own destruction, again failing to make the plays in the field any championship team should make.

But it didn’t make them.

The Sooners’ last line of defense on a horrible night from Mother Nature and the ESPN and NCAA powers that be, as luck would have it, was their actual defense.

It failed.

One more Crimson Tide run in the fifth didn’t help much either.

The only saving grace was Brianna Turang got to lead off the top of the seventh.

Put in the leadoff slot by Gasso after Georgia Casey had been holding down the spot since NCAA play began, it meant the top of the Sooner order would have one more chance at Alabama pitcher Jackie Traina.

Turang was just out at first after a hot shot to shortstop Kaila Hunt. Destinee Martinez ran into first baseman Cassie Reilly-Boccia and was called out for interfering. And oh, what a play that turned out to be when Lauren Chamberlain, next up, hit her second home run of the game.

Then Ricketts struck out.

Looking.

You can’t do that either.

It wasn’t right.

It wasn’t right at all.

It was just over.

Clay Horning 366-3526 cfhorning@normantranscript.com

I am guessing if Alabama had been pitching the Oklahoma had gotten out while batting they would have been saying it was unfair because rain was getting in the batters eyes or something of that nature

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NwrL9MV6jSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its not The Norman Transcript's fault. Their sports reporters were all out; one on vacation, a second at his sisters wedding in Denver, and the last was called away when his mother was suddenly hospitalized after a fall at Bridge Night at the Moose Lodge (but I digress). Its not their fault.

In the grips of having no sports writers on staff they were forced to give rookie reporter Cory Horning the story. What has not been brought out is that Cory, this being his first job, normally writes the Obituaries and a monthly piece for the Norman Humane Society aiming to get kittens adopted before they gas the little buggers. Cory, who is the real victim here, was thrust into the story of his still young career while still pumped full of sympathy, understanding, and perhaps bathsalts (I don't know).

Cory got it wrong, badly, but we and the OU softball team will not hold it against him for making himself, The Norman Transcript, the University of Oklahoma, the Big 12, and pretty much all of humanity to look bad.

Good news Cory. Just like the Sooners, you always have next year.

I keep hearing some of the Sooner fans and reporters blaming the rain for OU's loss. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Alabama playing on the same rainy, wet field that OU was on? Did the ball miraculously become dry when Traina took to the circle?

I keep hearing some of the Sooner fans and reporters blaming the rain for OU's loss. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Alabama playing on the same rainy, wet field that OU was on? Did the ball miraculously become dry when Traina took to the circle?

Everyone was wet.

One of the things I observed...

The coach brought out a rosin bag to help Rickett's with moisture. She used it, but as soon as she had the ball in her pitching had she habitually rubbed in on her shorts two or three times before the pitch.

In another thread 'ua93 and I were talking about her mechanics. They were off in both game two and game three. Instead of her motion being directly towards home plate her body was moving in the direction between the plate and their dugout. She was off balance.

Mechanics were in issue in the last two games, neither mentioned in some of the comments I've seen.

Yeah, I noticed her falling off to the side a lot in game 2. In the 2 innings I saw of game 3 it didn't look as bad, but I was falling asleep by then so I could have missed it.

I was at DFW airport today taking the tram from one terminal to another. There were some folks with OKC basketball shirts on and I had on a Bama shirt and hat. One guy comments, your girls beat us. I said yeah, crazy game. He said we were lucky to have the rain, which I told him - Bama girls stole their mojo chanting in the rain - both teams were in the rain playing in the same conditions and one team decided to use it as a positive while the other went the other route it seemed. I asked him where OU's coach was complaining about the conditions when they were batting against Bama - he had no reply.

Next up, he commented that Bama stole their other national championship (at which I was a bit confused - is he an OU or an OSU fan?). I replied, you should have beaten Iowa State, he replies - I guess i the sun shines on a dogs ass twice in the same year - I corrected him - it shined 4 times :)

There are some bitter folks up around Oklahoma...

Last edited:
I met an OSU fan last night at our Luau. He too was a bit bitter about BAMA stealing the championship against LSU. He seriously thought that the pokes could've hung 3-4 TDs on LSU. I just had to smile and I said that LSU really didn't want the rematch that they thought they did. I mentioned the softball series and evidently, they weren't big fans.

We have a NASCAR track in Alabama so we knew to bring our jet dryer with us. Gosh Bo, don't you know nuthin'!!!???

a925.jpg

Back
Top Bottom