| FTBL Arrest made in tree poisoning

3) ecological and fiscal impact of cleaning up the site, which has nothing to do with football. Logging happens everyday in Alabama, so lets not tree the loss of a tree as some sort of sin.

By the way, these trees would die eventually anyway, and the same dead tree issue would be overcome then as well.

I'm not an arborist but it seems like 130 year old trees aren't harvested for lumber unless they are dead. Could be wrong though.

As to your second point, isn't everything going to die eventually? Given enough time even the statues outside Bryant Denny will "die." Doesn't seem like a valid argument considering the person that did this committed at least 1 or two other crimes in order to kill the trees. And 130 year old Oak trees are harder to restore than man made structures.

After having some experience with 100+ year old oaks let me say this.

Replacing those two trees with transplanted oaks is not difficult to do even if you use 100+ year old live oaks to replace them. It's really fairly simple.

Expensive? You bet ya!

That really surprises me. I was looking at an old oak tree on a creek bank last week, probably around that age. The bank had washed away much of the soil and the root structure would have been impossible to transport on a truck. It would have had to have been flown beneath a HUEY.

No matter which side of this you stand we should remember to be civil to each other. With that said I hate everything about Auburn with a passion. I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but this act by one idiotic old man should be condemned by everybody. IMHO all of the jokes about these just being two oak trees that would've died anyway shows a BIG lack of brain cells and common sense. What really floors me is the karma comments. Taping a jersey to a statue is the same as poisioning 150 year old trees? Putting grass seed in the shape of a game score is the same as poisioning two 150 year old trees? That shows a lot about the lack of brain cells.

To the Auburn fans that visit this site I am sorry that the acts of one idiotic old man has killed a tradition at your school. Yes, trees can be planted, but it is not the same trees that were poisioned.

No matter which side of this you stand we should remember to be civil to each other. With that said I hate everything about Auburn with a passion. I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but this act by one idiotic old man should be condemned by everybody. IMHO all of the jokes about these just being two oak trees that would've died anyway shows a BIG lack of brain cells and common sense. What really floors me is the karma comments. Taping a jersey to a statue is the same as poisioning 150 year old trees? Putting grass seed in the shape of a game score is the same as poisioning two 150 year old trees? That shows a lot about the lack of brain cells.

To the Auburn fans that visit this site I am sorry that the acts of one idiotic old man has killed a tradition at your school. Yes, trees can be planted, but it is not the same trees that were poisioned.

+1 Perfect

Last edited:
I guess I just don't get it. The poisoning was wrong, but it's time to move on. It's disturbing that this much time, energy and money have been spent on these trees. There are so many real life concerns to get up in arms about, raise money for and create a stink about. I can't do the "tree thing" any longer.

the more i here about this the more it pisses me off. this guy was an idiot, he did something stupid and should be punished. im listening to his lawyer on Finebaum right now and some jackasses at a Lee County Wal Mart slit his tires (as well as him receiving death threats) but how is jackasses slitting his tires (destruction of property) any different than what hes done? and dont they have cameras in the parking lot of Wal Mart? i wonder just how hard they're looking for those guys? smh this is sad.

It's so nice to be proven right. :nana:

Harvey got a lawyer. (been through 3 already lol)

Glennon Threatt Jr. said Wednesday he has spoken with Harvey Updyke Jr. "extensively about the case" by phone and filed a notice of appearance in Lee County Circuit Court. Threatt's office says it was sent Tuesday through first-class mail. Threatt, who represented former Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford on bribery charges, said he's taken this case pro bono.

per ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6150889

Like i said the guy will have no problem getting a good lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom