Anyone else have a fear of flying?

PhillyGirl

I was never afraid of flying until I was 11, and I watched 9/11 happen on TV (yes, I know I am dating myself as a youngin here lol).

I've flown maybe 10-12 times since then, but it's always a white knuckle, panicky, rapid breathing, feverish, can't sleep, jump-at-every-sound-or-bump flight .. I suffer from anxiety disorder as well, so it doesn't help. Claustrophobia also doesn't help.

I just flew in a small regional jet when I went home for Thanksgiving .. That was an hour long flight but flying in a snow storm scared me .. The flight back was scarier, we stayed at a very low altitude than I am used to, and it was quite bumpy.

In May, I have to fly in a propeller plane to Boston for a conference .. A Dash 8. I've never flown in a propeller plane before but I am scared. Can anyone share their experience in a propeller plane, specifically a Dash 8? I just want to know if you feel bumps more, if you feel motion sickness more, if it's louder, more cramped, etc.

Prop planes, depending on where you sit, can be louder. The cabin is smaller and they generally fly at lower altitudes (20M feet or lower), and usually 150 mph or so slower than jets.

All that being said, if you have an an irrational fear (of anything) the facts are not going to sway you either way. Dash 8's and de Havilland predecessors are very safe planes with very good safety records, particularly in the United States. If you approach it considering the preponderance of the facts, you'll be fine. Otherwise, two Makers Mark ahead of flight time helps.

I don't like to fly, not from fear but from the inconvenience. It's just a hassle, particularly post-9/11, and I'm getting less open to being inconvenienced. Other than having to fly to DC (flew up on my last flight up here this morning), I can almost manage my entire travel schedule by car. I'd much rather hang my stuff in my car, and have my own car, than stuff it in a bag and ration what I take on a flight.

The fact you're a Bama fan shows how rational and contemplative you are. Apply the same process to flying and you'll be fine. Or drink, your choice.

RTR,

Tim

Never been in a prop plane but have only flown a few times. My first time was barely 6 years ago. I didn't mind it much at all. I even enjoyed glancing out the window looking at the clouds and down towards the ground.

I fly 10-20 times per year for business, I've never been worried about crashing.

When I was in the Navy in San Diego, we flew out to an island West of LA a few times, it was either on a large plane or a really small plane (7 person). In the small plane, you could see the pilot/copilot and out the windshield. We were probably a few hundred feet off the deck about to land on San Clemente Island (Naval base out there) and a huge gust of wind hit us and turned the plan about 45 degrees against the runway, my hands grabbed the armrest and were white knuckled, the pilot kept his calm and adjusted to the wind.

I'd love to get my VFR license one of these days, I just haven't made it a priority yet.

I've been on a smaller twin prop plane once on a flight into St. Louis, and it was fine, but I'm not bothered by flying either. Only issue with the smaller planes is even less room, which I hate even with the bigger jumbo jets. The good thing about the smaller planes though, is you don't have to wait 20 minutes to board and unboard, which I also hate with the bigger planes ("Let's everyone go ahead and stand up and crowd the aisle like sardines just because the plane has stopped, even though we are on row 38 and aren't exiting anytime soon"). These are the same folks who think that if they aren't standing right on top of the luggage carousel, then it is absolutely impossible to retrieve their luggage, it will be lost forever if not grabbed within 5 seconds of appearing.

I fly 10-20 times per year for business, I've never been worried about crashing.

When I was in the Navy in San Diego, we flew out to an island West of LA a few times, it was either on a large plane or a really small plane (7 person). In the small plane, you could see the pilot/copilot and out the windshield. We were probably a few hundred feet off the deck about to land on San Clemente Island (Naval base out there) and a huge gust of wind hit us and turned the plan about 45 degrees against the runway, my hands grabbed the armrest and were white knuckled, the pilot kept his calm and adjusted to the wind.

I'd love to get my VFR license one of these days, I just haven't made it a priority yet.

Don't wait another day... I promise you won't regret it. I began flying in 1990 and got my ticket in 1991. If and when you decide to go for it, let me know and we can hangar fly some.

Don't wait another day... I promise you won't regret it. I began flying in 1990 and got my ticket in 1991. If and when you decide to go for it, let me know and we can hangar fly some.

How often do you fly? That is my biggest reason for not doing it, just feel like I'm going to be pissing away $5k or so. Granted I've pissed away alot more with other purchases :)

Not much any more. In fact, I haven't flown in a few years, but I would just need to get current if I decided to do so. We have a new child less than two years old (and I just thought I wouldn't have any more), and he consumes most of my time and resources (which is perfectly fine).

Back in the day, I used to be able to rent a plane (wet - already gassed up) for the less than forty dollars an hour. I could fly with an instructor for 65 total. Good luck getting to fly at those prices today.

The money... You get a whole new perspective from seeing things from the air. It's worth the money.

The first time flying. It wasn't because I wanted to, it was that I just join the U.S. Army. Flying out of Atlanta airport, the plane take off and within 60 second the plane drop it fells like 30 feet. Air pocket is what I was told. Anyway I guess it didn't stop me from flying.

Back
Top Bottom