Any must do's, see's, eat's, in Boston/Maine coast?

I've been there probably 5-6 times, but honestly nothing has really stuck out as must do's in terms of food. I'm usually up there for a conference or meetings with some vendors.

USS Constitution is really cool to see, check out Fenway (some decent places to eat all around the ball park), take the subway at least once. If you can swing a drive down to Newport Rhode Island I'd do that too (less than 2 hours from Boston). Really really cool tours of some old money homes (Newport Mansions | The Preservation Society of Newport County). Salem is a neat place as well, so is Worcester.

We flew into Baltimore and then to Providence, RI. Toured the first Baptist church in America while there and it was interesting. We took I-95 to highway 1 and stayed on it everywhere we could as we had been told it was a scenic route. We stopped Kittery, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Freeport. President Bush's estate is visible from a distance along the coastal drive near Kennebunkport. Very beautiful area of the country. Lots to see along this route. We stopped at each lighthouse along this route. P5230402 Baltimore airport.JPGP5240423 Nubble Lighthouse.JPGP5240433 Wiscasset, ME.JPGP5260627 Monson, ME.JPGp5270648.jpgp5270652.jpgP5270695 Near Entrance to Baxter State Park.JPG

We really enjoyed walking through the LL Bean store in Freeport as well. The Bean outlet store a couple of blocks away had some really good deals on quality merchandise. We ate at a small mom & pop sandwich shop just before Freeport. Nice atmosphere and good food. None of us remember the name though.

The Delorme Map store was an enjoyable stop as well. A very unique place.

We drove on to Acadia and spent the night there. Had the good fortune to take part in a Maine Lobster Bake while there and if you have the opportunity, take advantage of it.

A friend I met while hiking the AT told me the best lobster roll in Maine was at a small roadside stand in Wiccassett (sp?), Maine called "Red's Eats" and it was very good. It's a local favorite as well.

We drove on to Bar Harbor, Monson, Baxter State Park and a few days later reached Bingham, NH. The drive from Bingham to Gorham, NH is one of the most beautiful drives in the USA. It will be very scenic with the beginning fall foliage colors coming out very soon.

We toured the White Mountain area and drove up Mt. Washington. The summit offers 360 degrees of spectacular scenery, weather permitting, and some of the highest wind gusts ever recorded.

We toured the state capitol in Concord and drove onto Boston. The old city has been enclosed by the modern and has a mix of old and new along the Freedom TYrail right down the middle of the city. It carries you by several of the important places while our nation was being born and was very interesting. Ben Franklin & Paul Revere's graves are among dozens in the old cemetery the Freedom Trail goes by. We ate at a farmer's market along the Freedom Trail. Several varieties of food available.

Maybe this will help you get started and I'm sure you (or the boss) already have an itinerary to follow. Maybe some of these will be along your path.

Attachments

• p5311135.jpg
    p5311135.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 1
  • p5311136.jpg
    p5311136.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 1
  • p5311197.jpg
    p5311197.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 1
I've been there probably 5-6 times, but honestly nothing has really stuck out as must do's in terms of food. I'm usually up there for a conference or meetings with some vendors.

USS Constitution is really cool to see, check out Fenway (some decent places to eat all around the ball park), take the subway at least once. If you can swing a drive down to Newport Rhode Island I'd do that too (less than 2 hours from Boston). Really really cool tours of some old money homes (Newport Mansions | The Preservation Society of Newport County). Salem is a neat place as well, so is Worcester.

Want to do US Constitution for sure. Will be going to a Red Sox game. We will probably be on the subway often. Salem is in the plans for the last night, supposedly they have a Halloween celebration all month long in October or some such, so we are gonna check that out.

We flew into Baltimore and then to Providence, RI. Toured the first Baptist church in America while there and it was interesting. We took I-95 to highway 1 and stayed on it everywhere we could as we had been told it was a scenic route. We stopped Kittery, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Freeport. President Bush's estate is visible from a distance along the coastal drive near Kennebunkport. Very beautiful area of the country. Lots to see along this route. We stopped at each lighthouse along this route. View attachment 4822View attachment 4823View attachment 4824View attachment 4825View attachment 4826View attachment 4827View attachment 4828

We really enjoyed walking through the LL Bean store in Freeport as well. The Bean outlet store a couple of blocks away had some really good deals on quality merchandise. We ate at a small mom & pop sandwich shop just before Freeport. Nice atmosphere and good food. None of us remember the name though.

The Delorme Map store was an enjoyable stop as well. A very unique place.

We drove on to Acadia and spent the night there. Had the good fortune to take part in a Maine Lobster Bake while there and if you have the opportunity, take advantage of it.

A friend I met while hiking the AT told me the best lobster roll in Maine was at a small roadside stand in Wiccassett (sp?), Maine called "Red's Eats" and it was very good. It's a local favorite as well.

We drove on to Bar Harbor, Monson, Baxter State Park and a few days later reached Bingham, NH. The drive from Bingham to Gorham, NH is one of the most beautiful drives in the USA. It will be very scenic with the beginning fall foliage colors coming out very soon.

We toured the White Mountain area and drove up Mt. Washington. The summit offers 360 degrees of spectacular scenery, weather permitting, and some of the highest wind gusts ever recorded.

We toured the state capitol in Concord and drove onto Boston. The old city has been enclosed by the modern and has a mix of old and new along the Freedom TYrail right down the middle of the city. It carries you by several of the important places while our nation was being born and was very interesting. Ben Franklin & Paul Revere's graves are among dozens in the old cemetery the Freedom Trail goes by. We ate at a farmer's market along the Freedom Trail. Several varieties of food available.

Maybe this will help you get started and I'm sure you (or the boss) already have an itinerary to follow. Maybe some of these will be along your path.

Awesome, thank you. Some of the stuff you mentioned is stuff we planned on, but we don't have a set in stone itinerary, at least not yet. I think I ran across that lobster bake you spoke of... it had be excited, but if it's the same one, the season ended for it already this month (saw that AFTER I had my hopes up, ready to book it). Really looking forward to checking out the lighthouses... a sure sign that I'm becoming an old person I guess. I've seen Red's Eats on several travel guides and (best of lists), so I'll definitely try to hit it up.

Thanks for the info and tips...

Paul Revere's house is near the USS Constitution, there are some Italian restaurants around (general area) Revere's home as well. I ate at one, but don't remember the name. Picked it out via Yelp.

Be prepared for the cab drivers to take you a long route. One of the guys I work with grew up in Boston and has been with me on two trips, he's called the cabbie out both times.

Boston Commons is a neat park...never know what you'll see there.

Back
Top Bottom