| FTBL And the winner of the Heisman Trophy is.....

Tim Tebow never had a bad game.

DMac had more than one bad game.

Tebow played hurt.

DMac didn't play hurt.

Tebow put up better numbers.

Pretty easy decision.

Optimus said:
Bamaman37 said:
Optimus said:
Bamaman37 said:
Optimus said:
Bamaman37 said:
Optimus said:
Talk about being total bull.

I'm curious, how is this "total bull?" :?:

Well, seeing how ESPN sucked, licked, and pumped Tebow in our face the whole year. No wonder he won, much like the Woodson thing. A sophomore could never win right?

Not saying the kid isn't good, but he didn't beat Auburn, Georgia, and LSU.

Sure he's 97% of the team's production. Hell, the whole offense is built on him alone. What happens when he don't play OMG!!!

I'll take Dmac anyday of the week. Plus, he did run Hog wild on the #1 in the land..

So, you're dissing Tebow because he didn't beat Auburn, Georgia, and LSU. Then, you say that McFadden deserved the Heisman, even though he lost to Alabama, Kentucky, Auburn, and Tennessee. ;scr

I think McFadden is by far the best pure athlete in the nation.

I'm not dissing anyone you ask me why I said bull. I gave you my reasons . Sry if you're a Tebow fan...

I said DMAC beat the #1 team in the land something Tebow couldn't do hence why I post he beat LSU.

Please show me your logic in how Tebow is so much more athletic?

;scr

I never said I was a Tebow fan. :?

Also, I never said that Tebow was more athletic McFadden. In fact, I actually said McFadden was the best pure athlete in the nation. Did you even read my post? :?

No you didn't say he was more athletic, but you did say he was the best player in the land. Which to me means he's a better player. Tebow is in a good system that fits him well. The best player in the nation isn't the guy with the big numbers it's the guy that plays for his team and makes them win when it seems they can't. I didn't see that from Tebow..

First of all, BIG D had an outstanding year as a running back/passer and he even passed the ball some out of the WildHog. Which many teams copied right? What if he was the Arkansas #1 qb where he handled the ball every snap he would have been somewhat comparable to Tebow.

Also, put Brennan, McFadden, or anyone else in Tebow's spot at UF, in Meyer's offensive scheme, they would have been a beast and at least matched, if not beaten Tebow's numbers. (Cough's LEAK!!!LEAK!!) Secondly, where would Arkansas be for the last 3 years if you took McFadden completely out of the equation. They would have had a new coach 2 years ago I'd bet!

Last year with Leak as the #1 qb and Tebow in the 2 spot situations, Florida still had an amazing year - better in the w/l column than this year. For that, I would submit that McFadden brings more to his team than Tebow does his, and as such is more deserving of the Heisman.

On another hand just looking up this crap, please don't quote me on everything. I really don't care but, last year Brennan threw 58 TD passes never before done, in college or prolast year he totaled 63 TD's, never before done. Last year his passer rating was 186% (conficting sources on that) highest ever in college football historyhis team was 11-3 and won their bowl game...

So why didn't Brennan win last year? It's all about ESPN and CBS pumping up the BS about some player. Tragic really...

Bamaman37 said:
Optimus said:
Bamaman37 said:
Optimus said:

Well, seeing how ESPN sucked, licked, and pumped Tebow in our face the whole year. No wonder he won, much like the Woodson thing. A sophomore could never win right?

Sure he's 97% of the team's production. Hell, the whole offense is built on him alone. What happens when he don't play OMG!!!

I'll take Dmac anyday of the week. Plus, he did run Hog wild on the #1 in the land..

I think McFadden is by far the best pure athlete in the nation.

Yeah, pretty sure he said he was the best pure athlete. Means the same thing as being more athletic.

Are you serious?! Colt Brennan could be a beast in Florida's offense? First off, CUM would NOT want CB to run his offense. Second off, just no. Personally, I think CB could not last three games facing the people Tim Tebow did, much less do what he did. CB runs an offense that fits him against abysmal competition (go and play somebody worthy, play more than two teams with winning records, don't try to get only home home series against big schools, don't be scared to go off and play a big school, etc.), and Tim runs a system which benefits him against much superior competition.

You make arguments which are based on strict opinion. You don't use numbers, you don't use anything solid. You keep bringing up the argument that DMac did all these great things for three years. That's great and all, maybe he should be awarded the 2005-2007 Heisman Trophy. You keep making the argument that DMac should get it for beating the #1 team in the nation. No, he got a victory for beating the #1 team in the nation for beating the #1 team in the nation. You win the Heisman by performing superior throughout the whole year. You keep arguing that DMac should win it because last year UF was better with Leak as their primary QB. You fail to mention that UF had a much better all around team last year, especially on defense. The Heisman goes to the best college football player. You have to look at PERFORMANCE, and T squared's performance game in and game out has been solid. DMac has been stopped during two or three different games. You fail to mention that Tebow plays hurt while DMac sat against us because of cramps.

I just do NOT understand how people don't see that Tebow had the better year. :?

bear facts said:
Not taking anything away from the Hogs' victory or McFaddens's performance against the Bayou Bengals, but let's not forget that Florida went up against a healthy LSU team and defense, whereas Arkansas didn't.

This is relative to football....

with or without injuries, you stop him or you do not. Cannot make excuses on the field, health or not....a lot of teams could not stop DMac. :D

Outlaw how do you know Dmac was not hurt or did not play hurt? Sorry, most football players go through the season with injuries and still play. Just because it is not reported just not mean he is not hurt. He is an RB I am sure he was hurt at some point....he is a physical runner.

The Heisman trophy
It is a popularity contest now and not at all what it use to be.I quit paying attention to it, still do not see what all the fuss is about. Any of them could have won and they all are deserving of the over hyped trophy.

Kc Bleeds Crimson said:
bear facts said:
Not taking anything away from the Hogs' victory or McFaddens's performance against the Bayou Bengals, but let's not forget that Florida went up against a healthy LSU team and defense, whereas Arkansas didn't.

Glenn Dorsey is a mighty big relative whose ability to play at full speed & strength dictates how well that LSU defense performs.

Yes, injuires are a part of football but there are certain "impact" players whose presence greatly affects their team's success or level of performance. Dixon of Oregon is one such player, as is Dorsey for LSU and Tebow for Florida. Of course, there are others.

rolltide1969 said:
look how many have won it in the past and flopped in the NFL.

over the last 15 years or so, with the exception of Barry Sanders, that would be correct.

Though the recent winners have had a decent showing in the NFL.
Palmer and Bush being those.

bear facts said:
Kc Bleeds Crimson said:
bear facts said:

Glenn Dorsey is a mighty big relative whose ability to play at full speed & strength dictates how well that LSU defense performs.

Yes, injuires are a part of football but there are certain "impact" players whose presence greatly affects their team's success or level of performance. Dixon of Oregon is one such player, as is Dorsey for LSU and Tebow for Florida. Of course, there are others.

But shouldn't Miles have filled that whole in these three years and had someone to stick in that spot?( That was a jab at LSU fans and their mighty Less) Or get that impact from someone else? It is a team sport and that is why those impact player sit and others step up. Noticed how its usually offensive players and not defensive for the Heisman? Yet a defensive player being or not being there can affect his team just like you said. Still most players go all year dinged and beat up...that was my point. The Heisman should not only go to the best athlete but the person who means the most to their team. Sadly its turned popularity and numbers.

Kc Bleeds Crimson said:
bear facts said:
Kc Bleeds Crimson said:
bear facts said:

But shouldn't Miles have filled that whole in these three years and had someone to stick in that spot?( That was a jab at LSU fans and their mighty Less) Or get that impact from someone else? It is a team sport and that is why those impact player sit and others step up. Noticed how its usually offensive players and not defensive for the Heisman? Yet a defensive player being or not being there can affect his team just like you said. Still most players go all year dinged and beat up...that was my point. The Heisman should not only go to the best athlete but the person who means the most to their team. Sadly its turned popularity and numbers.

First, Miles does have a true freshman that is gaining some playing experience and if he keeps improving can become an impact player like Dorsey. He's Al Woods from Elton, Louisiana.

Second, IMO, if both Tebow and McFadden missed a game, Tebow's absence would probably affect Florida more adversely than McFadden's absence would for Arkansas; mainly because the Hogs have another quality back, Felix Jones, to fall back on. Who does Florida have to step up if Tebow missed significant playing time? Heck, what percentage of Florida's total offense did Tim Tebow account for?

Both Tebow and McFadden are worthy of that award. Comparing this year's performances alone, the Heisman went to the right person. Tebow's numbers were astonishing.

Kc Bleeds Crimson said:
bear facts said:

Outlaw how do you know Dmac was not hurt or did not play hurt? Sorry, most football players go through the season with injuries and still play. Just because it is not reported just not mean he is not hurt. He is an RB I am sure he was hurt at some point....he is a physical runner.

He was on the sidelines with cramps against us I believe. That's the main instance I'm referring to because of course I watched that entire game. :wink:

I do think that either of the top two deserved to win, but it's just who deserved it more.

D-Train amazed me, Tebow amazed me.

Now, if this REALLY went to the most valuable player of a team, Dennis Dixon would win it hands down. Had he not got hurt (what a freak injury that was too), we probably wouldn't even be debating this. Oregon would be #1 and playing OSU for a National Championship. IMHO. :wink:

Optimus said:
Bamaman37 said:
Optimus said:
Bamaman37 said:
Optimus said:
Bamaman37 said:
Optimus said:

So, you're dissing Tebow because he didn't beat Auburn, Georgia, and LSU. Then, you say that McFadden deserved the Heisman, even though he lost to Alabama, Kentucky, Auburn, and Tennessee. ;scr

I think McFadden is by far the best pure athlete in the nation. However, the Heisman trophy isn't supposed to be awarded to the most athletic player. It isn't supposed to be awarded to the player that will be a better pro. The Heisman trophy is awarded to the best player in the nation, and this year it was Tim Tebow, IMO.

I'm not dissing anyone you ask me why I said bull. I gave you my reasons . Sry if you're a Tebow fan...

I said DMAC beat the #1 team in the land something Tebow couldn't do hence why I post he beat LSU.

Please show me your logic in how Tebow is so much more athletic?

;scr

I never said I was a Tebow fan. :?

Also, I never said that Tebow was more athletic McFadden. In fact, I actually said McFadden was the best pure athlete in the nation. Did you even read my post? :?

No you didn't say he was more athletic, but you did say he was the best player in the land. Which to me means he's a better player. Tebow is in a good system that fits him well. The best player in the nation isn't the guy with the big numbers it's the guy that plays for his team and makes them win when it seems they can't. I didn't see that from Tebow..

First of all, BIG D had an outstanding year as a running back/passer and he even passed the ball some out of the WildHog. Which many teams copied right? What if he was the Arkansas #1 qb where he handled the ball every snap he would have been somewhat comparable to Tebow.

Also, put Brennan, McFadden, or anyone else in Tebow's spot at UF, in Meyer's offensive scheme, they would have been a beast and at least matched, if not beaten Tebow's numbers. (Cough's LEAK!!!LEAK!!) Secondly, where would Arkansas be for the last 3 years if you took McFadden completely out of the equation. They would have had a new coach 2 years ago I'd bet!

Last year with Leak as the #1 qb and Tebow in the 2 spot situations, Florida still had an amazing year - better in the w/l column than this year. For that, I would submit that McFadden brings more to his team than Tebow does his, and as such is more deserving of the Heisman.

On another hand just looking up this crap, please don't quote me on everything. I really don't care but, last year Brennan threw 58 TD passes never before done, in college or prolast year he totaled 63 TD's, never before done. Last year his passer rating was 186% (conficting sources on that) highest ever in college football historyhis team was 11-3 and won their bowl game...

So why didn't Brennan win last year? It's all about ESPN and CBS pumping up the BS about some player. Tragic really...

Well, Outlaw pretty much answered your post, but I'm going to say this as well.

I said this year, Tim Tebow was the best player. Not the most athletic, but the best player. Look at his stats, Tebow was great all year long, while McFadden did have some bad games. There is one stat that really sticks out to me when I compare Tebow and McFadden. Rushing TDs: Tim Tebow 22 - Darren McFadden 15.

You never saw Tim Tebow make his team win when it seemed they that they couldn't? Tebow could take over a game this year like no one I have seen before! McFadden could do this too, but where was he against Auburn? 43 yards rushing and 0 TDs isn't exactly taking over a game. :? He also had other poor games (*cough* Miss. St) whereas Tebow played consistently great all year long.

Are you being serious? Colt Brennan couldn't run Coach Meyer's offense the same or better than Tebow. Brennan wouldn't last half a year running that offense against the competition Tebow faces, IMO.

Yes, McFadden has done great things at Arkansas these last 3 years....but what does that have to do with the 2007 Heisman Trophy?

Last year Florida was better because they had MUCH more talent surrounding Chris Leak. Look at how many players they lost from last year's team!

Colt Brennan had a great season last year, I will not argue that. However, just because he didn't win the Heisman last year doesn't mean that Tebow shouldn't win it this year. :?

I personally don't care for Tim Tebow. However, he had a fantastic year, and he deserved to win the Heisman Trophy. I'm not going to say he shouldn't have won just because I don't like him. :roll:

i agree with those of you who criticize the legitimacy of the Heisman award and the fabricated hype that surrounds it every year. personally, i'd love for the Heisman trophy to disappear and to simply retain all of the other awards that are given to the best players at their respective positions. we all know that football is a team game, so why not simply honor the best player at every position? why elevate the best offensive player on the best team in the best conference (which is what the Heisman has developed into)???

having said all this, how anyone can criticize Tebow's selection as the Heisman trophy winner is beyond me. he has revolutionized the QB position in a way that Vick never could've dreamed. first of all, athletically speaking, i don't know that we've ever seen a player like him. he's as tough as a fullback, as big as a tight end, runs like a running back, and passes like a top level quarterback. some of you who hurl criticisms like, "he's a system-quarterback in a gimmick offense" counfound me because all i see is a coach who is using all the attributes of his star player to the fullest. and really, just how unique is Meyer's offensive system? has it not become mainstream? in fact, i'd say a pro-style offense is more of a gimmick offense than anything else. or should i say "relic offense"?????

anyway, all i'm saying is that while the meaning of the Heisman may be obscured and its relevance long gone, Tebow was clearly the most outstanding player this season. yes, you can make arguments for other players every season, but you can't say that anyone is more deserving than Tebow. yes, McFadden may be the best running back since Walker, Jackson, and E. Smith, but aside from a few passes here and there he is only a running back. like Tebow, Brennon may have also done things that no other QB has ever done, but the quality of his opponents has been his downfall.

in short, more than any other player this season Tebow scores the highest in each of the "Heisman categories": most valuable player on his team, played on a successful team, competed against quality opponents, demonstrated perseverance (i.e. through injury), a leader on and off the field, demonstrates great character, and set himself apart statistically.

A lot of what you say here I agree with musso. Especially, in the first paragraph.

I've already voiced my opinion on why I thought McFadden should have won it. But, I understand completely why Tebow did as well. (I don't care, one bit, about how some people characterize him. A good friend of mine's Dad is the pastor of their church. Solid family, solid kid.)

The one thing I have to question is your comment about he's revolutionized the QB position. A comparison to Vick doesn't seem to be a good case example. I bring this up because when I think about a QB, from the spread formation, that really put the spread on the map again (true spread, mind you) the first guy that comes to mind isn't Tebow. It's Pat White.

musso said:
i agree with those of you who criticize the legitimacy of the Heisman award and the fabricated hype that surrounds it every year. personally, i'd love for the Heisman trophy to disappear and to simply retain all of the other awards that are given to the best players at their respective positions. we all know that football is a team game, so why not simply honor the best player at every position? why elevate the best offensive player on the best team in the best conference (which is what the Heisman has developed into)???

having said all this, how anyone can criticize Tebow's selection as the Heisman trophy winner is beyond me. he has revolutionized the QB position in a way that Vick never could've dreamed. first of all, athletically speaking, i don't know that we've ever seen a player like him. he's as tough as a fullback, as big as a tight end, runs like a running back, and passes like a top level quarterback. some of you who hurl criticisms like, "he's a system-quarterback in a gimmick offense" counfound me because all i see is a coach who is using all the attributes of his star player to the fullest. and really, just how unique is Meyer's offensive system? has it not become mainstream? in fact, i'd say a pro-style offense is more of a gimmick offense than anything else. or should i say "relic offense"?????

anyway, all i'm saying is that while the meaning of the Heisman may be obscured and its relevance long gone, Tebow was clearly the most outstanding player this season. yes, you can make arguments for other players every season, but you can't say that anyone is more deserving than Tebow. yes, McFadden may be the best running back since Walker, Jackson, and E. Smith, but aside from a few passes here and there he is only a running back. like Tebow, Brennon may have also done things that no other QB has ever done, but the quality of his opponents has been his downfall.

in short, more than any other player this season Tebow scores the highest in each of the "Heisman categories": most valuable player on his team, played on a successful team, competed against quality opponents, demonstrated perseverance (i.e. through injury), a leader on and off the field, demonstrates great character, and set himself apart statistically.

TerryP said:
The one thing I have to question is your comment about he's revolutionized the QB position. A comparison to Vick doesn't seem to be a good case example. I bring this up because when I think about a QB, from the spread formation, that really put the spread on the map again (true spread, mind you) the first guy that comes to mind isn't Tebow. It's Pat White.

i'd get well out of my comfort zone if i attempted to discuss the nuances of the spread offense and the differences between RRod, Meyer, and many of the other coaches who now employ it to varying degrees. by "revolutionizing the QB position" i meant bringing to that particular position a collection of attributes never before seen in one player. i'll never forget how after FSU's '99 championship game against VTech, Bowden said "what everyone witnessed that night (Vick) was the QB of the future." much of the media jumped on that bandwagon afterwards and began to proclaim Vick as the new breed of QB that coaches were now recruiting.

well, what Tebow may lack in his 40-yard dash (relative to Vick) he possesses in a more accurate arm, more touch, physicality, grit, competitiveness, and dare i say more leadership/character than the Vick brothers have ever dreamed of having. as i said in my previous post, Tebow is as phyiscal as a FB, big as a TE, runs like a RB, and passes with the best of QBs. when i say Tebow revolutionizes the QB position, this is what i mean, spread or no spread.

musso said:
TerryP said:

i'd get well out of my comfort zone if i attempted to discuss the nuances of the spread offense and the differences between RRod, Meyer, and many of the other coaches who now employ it to varying degrees. by "revolutionizing the QB position" i meant bringing to that particular position a collection of attributes never before seen in one player. i'll never forget how after FSU's '99 championship game against VTech, Bowden said "what everyone witnessed that night (Vick) was the QB of the future." much of the media jumped on that bandwagon afterwards and began to proclaim Vick as the new breed of QB that coaches were now recruiting.

well, what Tebow may lack in his 40-yard dash (relative to Vick) he possesses in a more accurate arm, more touch, physicality, grit, competitiveness, and dare i say more leadership/character than the Vick brothers have ever dreamed of having. as i said in my previous post, Tebow is as phyiscal as a FB, big as a TE, runs like a RB, and passes with the best of QBs. when i say Tebow revolutionizes the QB position, this is what i mean, spread or no spread.

Again, I agree. He brings things to the table that we haven't seen since the what, 70's when we had Tx, OU, Bama, Neb,. etc. running the 'bone?

My point was meant to be in contradiction to what you had posted, just a personal observation.

What's funny, or at least I find funny, is you see credit given to teams like OU, Clemson, Tx Tech for bringing this spread formation to the game. But, when you look at it more closely Mike Leach is probably the guy who started it.

OU ran the spread early part of this decade. OC? Mangino who is now running the spread at Kansas. Clemson is credited also. Their OC? Rod who is running it at WVU.

The biggest reason I look at Pat White as the first QB who defined this new era of the spread is even when those other teams ran this formation, he was the first to put that mobile QB in the mix as well. His numbers last year were not Tebow's this year. (18 rushing TD's, 12 or 13 passing TD's) But, it was the first time in my recollection over the past few years that suddenly the media stopped, stood up, and took notice.

i see what you mean. yeah, i agree that White was the first to bring a reliable (and lethal i might add) running threat to the QB position within the emerging spread offense, thus bringing out of retirement the forgotten triple option.

here's a question to you and anyone else. i'm wondering if you have the same recollection as i do. it seems to me that i began hearing the "spread offense" as it related to Tiller's passing attack at Purdue and other schools (e.g. Hawaii, Nortwestern, and Ohio Valley mid majors). initially, i assumed it meant that offenses were spreading defenses out by virtue of employing 3+ WRs on every down. it seems to me though that guys like Rodriguez later added the component of wider splits between offensive linemen that eventually opened up the increasingly clogged running lanes. first of all, do you know if this is even true? and is this your recollection as well?

i just seem to remember the term "spread offense" initially referring to teams who aired it out every down whereas now the term "spread offense" seems to have attached itself to predominately running offenses (WVU, Navy, Clemson).

tebowcreation.jpg

....... and Discuss

^^^That's a morph/photoshop thing found somewhere. I've seen the same thing for Miles. If I made add one thing, that pic foul deserves an ejection. :lol:

I've heard the same thing as you. There is a thread I posted earlier this morning on the spread. Check it out.

Basically, there are three components I've seen. Wider sets for the lineman, 3-4 wide for the receivers all while running out of a no back or single back set. It negates some of the speed you see on the defensive side of the ball especially in our league.

We see elements of it with Bama. One difference I've noticed with Bama is a lot of the times we'll run a spread type formation but out of a double TE set. One of the things "they say" is a part of a true spread is a single TE set.

The wider sets like you mentioned, at least that I can recall, made it's way into Div. 1 with OU and Clemson. Then, led to WVU and Kansas.

Mike Leach and June Jones both run some peculiar offenses. Somewhat like Spurrier in that their receivers are running to a spot.

Now, I haven't done a great amount of study on the spread but the way I see it the differences between the TT and Haw. offense and the other ones we've mentioned is the QB has the reads on the "true spread" vs it's the WR's making a lot of the reads in those other two. At least, that is the way I understood the Hawai'i QB explain it a few weeks ago on a TV.

musso said:
i see what you mean. yeah, i agree that White was the first to bring a reliable (and lethal i might add) running threat to the QB position within the emerging spread offense, thus bringing out of retirement the forgotten triple option.

here's a question to you and anyone else. i'm wondering if you have the same recollection as i do. it seems to me that i began hearing the "spread offense" as it related to Tiller's passing attack at Purdue and other schools (e.g. Hawaii, Nortwestern, and Ohio Valley mid majors). initially, i assumed it meant that offenses were spreading defenses out by virtue of employing 3+ WRs on every down. it seems to me though that guys like Rodriguez later added the component of wider splits between offensive linemen that eventually opened up the increasingly clogged running lanes. first of all, do you know if this is even true? and is this your recollection as well?

i just seem to remember the term "spread offense" initially referring to teams who aired it out every down whereas now the term "spread offense" seems to have attached itself to predominately running offenses (WVU, Navy, Clemson).

bear facts said:
Gosh, it only seems like yesterday that it was signing day a couple years ago and Delta was ate up with Tebowfatiuation and this site was abuzz, waiting for the Tebow press conference, and how within a brief moment all hope for Tebow becoming a Crimson Tider was deflated as quickly as a balloon can burst. From then . . .

to now:

Yep, I remember that day...just being depressed afterwards. :?

I hate it when I'm right, but you know I have to say it. I said then and there he'd win a national championship and a Heisman, and dang I was right. :shock:

The only thing that surprised me was I would have put him winning the Heisman and NC in his junior or senior year. Get used to it. Unless someone else emerges or he gets injured he could very well win it again next year. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom