| NEWS Alabama's Playoff Chances Trending Upward- SI

We also switched gears offensively. Saban took the air out and we went more ground and pound in the 2nd half. MJ had 11 pass attempts in comparison to Tua’s 18.

I understand that but we are CLEARLY not as dynamic on offense without Tua and the committee has stated injuries matter. So it will be interesting to see what they do with us.

I suspect we won't see a change, but I also suspect they won't make it a hard decision until the final one, where they put us #5 because Tua is gone, it's a big piece of what we do..I'm pretty sure our ship was sunk this weekend, we were in a good spot in the previous week but Jones will struggle to beat Auburn and we need strong statements..

Offense vs. Mississippi State
First Half (w/Tua): 328 yards, 35 points, one punt, no turnovers, 5-of-6 third downs, 16 first downs.
Second Half (w/o Tua): 182 yards, 3 points, no turnovers, 1-of-4 third downs, eight first downs.

You can point to the Arkansas game all you want to show how "good" Mac is or how he will be able to move the offense but can we not? Troy would put up 500 yards on them. Our only hope is to get the running game going and Auburn has the best d-line in the country. I'm afraid this is not going to be pretty.

Offense vs. Mississippi State
First Half (w/Tua): 328 yards, 35 points, one punt, no turnovers, 5-of-6 third downs, 16 first downs.
Second Half (w/o Tua): 182 yards, 3 points, no turnovers, 1-of-4 third downs, eight first downs.

What was the time of possession comparison 1st half vs 2nd half?

Purely speculation for sure but is it possible the team and maybe even the coaches lost a little bit of focus with the Tua issue going on and the unknowns surrounding that at the time? Also every other snap someone was coming up with an injury. Hard to keep the flow and focus with all that going on.

I will agree that Mac will not be as effective as Tua. Tua is/was a generational talent and he has much more experience. I for one think Mac will do a good job. I personally am not ready to write us off but we will see soon enough.

What was the time of possession comparison 1st half vs 2nd half?

Purely speculation for sure but is it possible the team and maybe even the coaches lost a little bit of focus with the Tua issue going on and the unknowns surrounding that at the time? Also every other snap someone was coming up with an injury. Hard to keep the flow and focus with all that going on.

I will agree that Mac will not be as effective as Tua. Tua is/was a generational talent and he has much more experience. I for one think Mac will do a good job. I personally am not ready to write us off but we will see soon enough.

First Half: 15:38
Second Half: 12:19

You can point to the Arkansas game all you want to show how "good" Mac is or how he will be able to move the offense but can we not? Troy would put up 500 yards on them. Our only hope is to get the running game going and Auburn has the best d-line in the country. I'm afraid this is not going to be pretty.
So, there's an actual game that's been played (with its results) that you don't want in the conversation. One of the reasons why is a hypothetical that "Troy could put 500 yards on them:" a game that hasn't been played.

This is more about how you feel about Mac, personally, than it is what's happened on the football field.

Is he as good as Tua? No.
Is he as bad as you've suggested? No.

Mac Jones won’t be the reason we could have a loss to Auburn. Our front 7 on defense failing to contain their running game, particularly the running qb, will be the reason. Auburn’s offense is a series of blunders wrapped in confusion. But Bama may make them look better than they are.

Same here, not as worried about the playoffs, although I’m in the camp we were out anyway. As we look to the Auburn game.... damn they have a good defense. How did they surpass us so much on that side of the ball? UGA and the Barn have far superior defenses than us this year. Unusual for us not to be the top D, or at least 2nd best, in the conference. We may not even be 3rd best, I’d have to look at stats.

Tua's injury has made me not really care about the playoffs at the moment.

This!^^^^^^^
As soon as Tua went down, my whole feeling for the playoffs and quite honestly, the rest of the game went out the window.
Football and sports in general, just don't seem as big a deal anymore. Trust me, I have my priorities in line, but Tua's injury just knocked the wind out of my sails.

So, there's an actual game that's been played (with its results) that you don't want in the conversation. One of the reasons why is a hypothetical that "Troy could put 500 yards on them:" a game that hasn't been played.

This is more about how you feel about Mac, personally, than it is what's happened on the football field.

Is he as good as Tua? No.
Is he as bad as you've suggested? No.

You might as well put A-Day in the discussion if you wanna throw Arkansas in there. You wanna talk about hypotheticals, how about facts?

Arkansas gave up nearly 500 yards to WESTERN KENTUCKY and OVER 500 to San Jose State.

I haven't said Mac was awful like you are claiming. I said he is an average at best QB and I stand by that. An average at best QB will not get the job done against Auburn.

I said he is an average at best QB and I stand by that. An average at best QB will not get the job done against Auburn.
Don't cling to a mistake just because you've spent a lot of time making it.

His completion rate is only beaten by two QB's in the SEC: Tua and Burrow. Not average, by any means.
HIs QB rating is only beaten by two QB's in the SEC: Tua and Burrow. Not average, by any means.

He'd be starting for every SEC sans three: LSU, UGA, and UA. Not average, by any means.

Don't cling to a mistake just because you've spent a lot of time making it.

His completion rate is only beaten by two QB's in the SEC: Tua and Burrow. Not average, by any means.
HIs QB rating is only beaten by two QB's in the SEC: Tua and Burrow. Not average, by any means.

He'd be starting for every SEC sans three: LSU, UGA, and UA. Not average, by any means.

Are you really citing a completion rate of a QB that's started a grand total of one game - against the worst defense in the SEC - and really putting in the same sentence as the two best QBs in the country? Come on Terry, you're better than that.

I'm not even going to argue the "starting at every other SEC school" comment because outside of those three there are very few QBs in this conference that are above average. I don't think Mac has the ability to beat out Kelly Bryant nor Mound, however. And I don't think either one of them is very good, so there ya go...

With all of this said, and I'm not getting pulled into another 5-day discussion about this either, I hope and I pray to little baby Yoda that Mac Jones goes out there and lights Auburn up for 300 yards and four touchdowns and then we squeak into the playoffs and he lights LSU up for 400 yards and six touchdowns. He's not doing any of that, however and I will be rooting him on in the Capital One Bowl or whatever we end up in and get back to those old days of "maybe next year, guys."

Mac Jones won’t be the reason we could have a loss to Auburn. Our front 7 on defense failing to contain their running game, particularly the running qb, will be the reason. Auburn’s offense is a series of blunders wrapped in confusion. But Bama may make them look better than they are.
Ed Zackery.....the cow college will be able to run the ball effectively on us and their QB will look like Fran Tarkenton as well. Nick is asking for volunteers to play on the DL this week with 99,94,48 holding down the bench this week.

quote:
Cecil Hurt
@CecilHurt
Saban says three DL — Raekwon Davis, Phildarian Mathis and DJ Dale — are questionable for Saturday. Said UA has seven scholarship players on the DL and all will have to play vs. Western Carolina including a couple who have not played this year.[/QUOTE]

Auburn’s D has me nervous. Mac should be a good manager, but they have a tough D.

2 things I’d never thought I’d say in the Saban era: Auburn has a better D than us under Gus, and LSU has a better offense than us under O. Weird year!

As good as auburn's defense is, they aren't great against the pass. If Mac can make a few clutch throws, then they won't catch Ruggs, Jeudy, Smith, Waddle. And I could see Najee slowly wearing them down, because the offense is going to be putting the defense right back out onto the field regularly. I'd LOVE to see aTm pull an upset on Georgia...If that happens, and we beat the barn by at least 10, I think we make it. AND...we would not have the extra game, seeing as how we aren't in the SECCG. In short....come on Aggies. I loved the dawgs last Saturday, but that's over. Now I want them to get run out of the stadium.

Back
Top Bottom