| NEWS Alabama's Playoff Chances Trending Upward- SI

18Champs

LSU didn’t end Alabama’s College Football Playoff hopes, and the most important position, in the latest Cavalcade of Whimsy.

“How do you shoot the Devil in the back? What if you miss?”
(Before we get started, and knowing your blood is about to boil, I do have the answer to all of this in a later blurb.)

Seriously, America? You think LSU just killed the elephant?

You actually think Alabama is out of the College Football Playoff now? Have you learned absolutely nothing over the last ten years of college football?

You might not like it, and you might deny it, and you might try to wish it all away, but you also know exactly how this is going to turn out.

You know who else knows? Nick Saban.

There’s a reason he was so chilaxed after his defense got embarrassingly pantsed for the second time in ten months by a team with elite offensive talent. He has seen it all before.

Of all programs, LSU should (bleep)ing know better than to be pouring Gatorade, doing victory laps, and being hailed at home coming off the plane as if it’s all over.

It was over in 2011.

LSU went on the road and beat Alabama 9-6, and that was that.

Bama fell to third in the BCS standings, and Oklahoma State moved up to No. 2 as it crushed and killed everything in its path. And then came that fateful Friday night at Iowa State with a missed Cowboy field goal that really did look good, bad throws by Brandon Weeden, and a stunning loss that led to the big debate.

You can’t have a team that didn’t win its own division, much less its own conference, play in a rematch for the BCS Championship after losing the first time around at home. It’s wrong, it’s unconscionable, it’s not fair to the college football season, it’s …

Alabama 21, LSU 0. 2011 National Champion Alabama.

It was over in 2012.

Johnny Manziel walked into Tuscaloosa and left with a Heisman, along with a 29-24 win over the 9-0 No. 1 Tide. That was it. Bama blew it. You can’t lose that late in the season at home and end up in the national title.

The Tide fell to fourth in the BCS Standings, and then …

No. 1 Kansas State was exposed in a blowout loss at Baylor, a monster No. 2 Oregon team blew it in a 17-14 home loss to Stanford, Notre Dame won out, Bama moved back up to No. 2, and …

Alabama 42, Notre Dame 14. 2012 National Champion Alabama.

I’m old enough to remember 2017.

Bama beat a whole lot of no one – sound familiar? – lost the regular-season finale to Auburn, didn’t win its own division, didn’t win its own conference, and yada, yada, yada, it got the massive break of a two-loss Ohio State stopping a 12-0 Wisconsin on a late drive in the Big Ten Championship.

Bama slipped into the College Football Playoff as the No. 4 seed, destroyed Clemson in the Sugar Bowl, got to Atlanta, and …

Alabama 26, Georgia 23. 2017 National Champion Alabama.

I have screamed, yelled, bitched, whined, prayed, and pleaded my case for years and years and years that a team that can’t win its own division shouldn’t be able to win the national title. I’d love absolutely nothing more than a College Football Playoff with four fresh new schools – say, LSU, Minnesota, Baylor, Utah – in the mix.

But that’s not how the College Football Playoff works.

It’s about who the committee thinks the four best teams are, and as much as we all might not like it – especially with just one decent win on the slate – yeah, that’s Alabama.

If he committee liked the Tide enough to put them No. 3 in the first round of rankings, it’s not going to have a whole slew of issues at the end of the season in the whole four-best-team argument if they win out – again, more on that in a moment.

Like it or not, no matter how the sausage was made, Bama put up 41 points. Tua Tagovailoa threw for 418 yards and four scores on a bum ankle – get ready for that to be a talking point in a few weeks – Najee Harris ran for 146 yards and scored twice, and in the end, the team looked the part of one of the four best teams – at least offensively. It might not be one of the three best, but fourth?

Who’s that fourth team – at least in the eyes of the CFP committee – if it’s not Bama?

It’s been cute and all, but Minnesota and Baylor aren’t getting into the College Football Playoff.

Oregon? Lost to Auburn. If Bama beats Auburn at Auburn, there goes that.

I actually think Utah could do some damage in the tournament, but it has to get there first, and the loss to USC doesn’t help.

Who’s got the chops to finish out the rest of the way without another loss?

Oklahoma? Yeeesh. Georgia? More than you think (again, give me a moment). Penn State? Intriguing (also, it’s coming in a second), but probably not considering it lost to Minnesota and Bama lost to the No. 2-soon-to-be-No. 1 team.

So who? Who’s that fourth team? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg?

LSU, next time you kill something, make sure it stays dead.

Now, I know exactly what’s coming next, because, of course …

NEXT: It’s the media’s fault

BTW, Ohio State fans trying to falsely equate the Bama loss to LSU with what the Buckeyes plopped against Purdue last year and Iowa the season before – especially those who dared to whine that the world is out to get your upstart program that never gets a break – almost all of this applies to you, too …

I don’t care about Alabama.

The sports information department is great, I’ve made plenty of media friends around the program over the years, and Saban is actually a whole lot cooler than you think. But even though a College Football Playoff without Alabama would be like Thanksgiving without the turkey – seriously, a bucket of chicken is SO much better – whatever. Win your division.

I do get the screaming about the process. For the umpteenth time, I’m with you, everyone, on conference champs needing to be in the playoff. However, what I don’t get is the blind anger out there towards the program and the accomplishments under Saban.

Thanks to the social media world, it’s easy for opposing fans to get lazy.

There’s a media conspiracy to pump up Alabama. ESPN is in on it because it has a vested interest in the SEC. The College Football Playoff is rigged. It’s all a deep state thing to make sure Saban and the Tide get every break for ratings, because there’s a bias towards the SEC, and …

ENOUGH.

It’s one thing to be sick of Alabama, but there’s a reason everyone in the media gushes over this program.

Really? You’re going to make me do the resumé thing by pointing out Saban’s six SEC titles while at Alabama, five national championships, four straight national championship appearances, and how the program is probably two plays and a Tim Tebow epic fourth quarter away from winning three other national titles?

I still argue that the 2011 and 2017 teams had no business playing for the national championships, and then I’m politely reminded that they won them.

It’s not like Alabama is whizzing away its chances. Under Saban, it has never been 2001 Nebraska, or 2003 Oklahoma – who lost to Saban’s LSU team – or 2007 Ohio State, who all caught mega-breaks and lost in their respective national championships. And why?

Talent. You want to know the real reason why the media is all in on Bama? Along with the consistent winning …

63 players have been drafted over the last seven years with 26 first rounders over the last nine drafts. In the Saban era, you could almost have a first round made up entirely of Crimson Tide players. This program – along with Ohio State – is just more consistently freakishly talented than anyone else.

It doesn’t mean you have to like it, so …

NEXT: After all of that hoo-ha, the answer to getting rid of Alabama is …

Or, just keep throwing against its tissue-paper secondary …

So how do you keep Alabama out of your College Football Playoff this year? How do you do whatever gruesome horror/zombie movie reference thing you’d like to use and kill the monster?

There are three solutions, no matter what happens in the Big 12 and Pac-12 worlds.

1) Auburn takes care of business at home. It would be a gajillion times better if it’s Western Carolina who hands Bama a second loss, but at home, don’t be stunned if the Tigers win the Iron Bowl. Or …

2) Georgia runs the table. If the Bulldogs win at Auburn and go on to beat LSU in the SEC Championship to finish 12-1, they’re no question, no doubt in. 12-1 LSU with a loss to Georgia – assuming it’s not a blowout – is in. Let’s say 13-0 Clemson is in, and the Big Ten champion is in. Alabama is out. And/or …

3) Penn State beats Ohio State. If Penn State runs the table and somehow gets by this juggernaut Buckeye team in Columbus, it goes to the Big Ten Championship and gets a shot at revenge against Minnesota, or takes down Wisconsin. 12-1 Big Ten champ Penn State is in, 13-0 Clemson is in, SEC champ is in, and Bama is out.

Now for the curveball.

Two and three happen.

Clemson is in at 13-0. Penn State goes 12-1 with a Big Ten championship – in, no matter what. Georgia goes 12-1 with an SEC championship – in, no matter what. Bama is way out, and …

So is 11-1 Ohio State.

LSU would get that fourth spot.

I still don't think Alabama will get in but holy smokes at the hyperbole that has been spilling out of sports talk this week and I dont even mean the usual morons (Cowherd, Finebaum, etc.). Even the local radio talking heads are getting in on it. I have heard the word "domination" so many times about that game and just this morning one of the talking head said that Alabama simply doesn't have the weapons to compete with teams like Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc. It's absolute insanity. It's like every one of these people stopped watching at halftime and anything that happened after that doesn't count for some reason. Finally, someone asked "What do you mean absolutely dominated, they lost by less than a touchdown?" and one of them responded by saying the score wasn't actually that close. Do what?

Not bama fans.....we love the playoffs...
@BamaBoyJosh .....it was close ...kinda...sorta...score wise....what matters....
But...bad D play...stupid coaching.... and some excellent lsu play.. joe really made the plays.......made the game come down to needing a miracle... ( OSK)...

It was close in every single imaginable way. If the D gets one stop at the end - one - is there anyone willing to bet they keep Alabama out of the end-zone again? Not a chance. It didn't need a miracle, just stop them on third down. And that's not taking into account if even just one of those mistakes that occurred in the first half don't happen. LSU dominated Alabama in the first half. There is no question about that. LSU's offense dominated the Alabama defense for 90% of the game, but the Alabama offense absolutely torched LSU's defense in that second half.

Just to expound on that, second half numbers:
Alabama: 28 points, 345 yards, zero turnovers, 4-of-8 third downs, 3-of-3 fourth downs, 14 first downs.
LSU: 13 points, 250 total yards, one turnover, 5-of-8 third downs, 13 first downs.

I don't care what Farmer Fred or any of them over there say, they 1000% don't want a rematch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, it's going to come down to if the committee wants the 4 best teams or most deserving. Not a bookie, but it would be interesting to see the odds on Alabama vs Oklahoma, Minnesota, Utah, Oregon, PSU, Baylor and Georgia. I believe we would be favored in all of them on a neutral field

And again, I may be wrong about the playoffs (and hope I am) but I don't think it matters. I think the levels of scorched earth we are going to see on Saturday and against Auburn are going to be 2010 Capital One Bowl levels of ass whooping. I've seen people question if Tua is going to be rested or not play much for the rest of the year. No chance and I think he blisters every single defense in front of him.

after the game, I was really down, thinking our season was lost.

But then, I started thinking about it, there really isn't a better 4th team than us. Georgia? No. Penn St? no. Baylor or anyone else like that? Heck no. I honestly think we'll be in, unless we lose another game, or if Ga SOMEHOW beats LSU in the SECG

16.6 million people watched the Alabama - LSU game. A TV show that is successful has an average of 8 - 9 million. ESPN will air both playoff semi-final games. You can bet they would love a rematch. $$$$$$$$$$

As difficult as it may be, you might want to cheer for Auburn this weekend, when they play Georgia. That eliminates Georgia from the #4 CFP spot, and strengthens Auburn's resume for the Iron Bowl. I just hope we are not embarrassed if we go into the playoffs. Our defense is awful.

It was close in every single imaginable way. If the D gets one stop at the end - one - is there anyone willing to bet they keep Alabama out of the end-zone again? Not a chance. It didn't need a miracle, just stop them on third down. And that's not taking into account if even just one of those mistakes that occurred in the first half don't happen. LSU dominated Alabama in the first half. There is no question about that. LSU's offense dominated the Alabama defense for 90% of the game, but the Alabama offense absolutely torched LSU's defense in that second half.

Alabama: 28 points, 345 yards, zero turnovers, 4-of-8 third downs, 3-of-3 fourth downs, 14 first downs.
LSU: 13 points, 250 total yards, one turnover, 5-of-8 third downs, 13 first downs.

I don't care what Farmer Fred or any of them over there say, they 1000% don't want a rematch.

I agree with you here. No one was talking trash after Georgia dominated us in the first half of the Natty and SEC Championship, only for us to come back and win. We didn't come out on the winning side this time, but it's funny how the media turns on you when you're not perfect.

Why did we fall to the fifth spot and UGA move ahead when an unranked team that is really bad beat UGA at home? We should still be at #4 in my book. But with the games left, being #5 is in a very good spot, much better than being #6 thru #10.

Why did we fall to the fifth spot and UGA move ahead when an unranked team that is really bad beat UGA at home? We should still be at #4 in my book. But with the games left, being #5 is in a very good spot, much better than being #6 thru #10.
I am in complete agreement with you here... another reason why all logic gets thrown out the window when these rankings come out.

you might want to cheer for Auburn this weekend,
Uh, no.
Why did we fall to the fifth spot and UGA move ahead when an unranked team that is really bad beat UGA at home?
According to the chair it was UGA's two wins over Notre Dame and Florida.

People are suggesting "we should cheer for Auburn" when I'm of the opinion let's just root for Missouri this weekend along with Navy.

I agree. Not to mention Tua had more yards and more TDs. His fumble was completely unforced and his INT inexcusable. Not only if we had gotten just one stop at the end do we win that game, but even if we got the onside kick, we win as well. No, that was not domination. Last year's shutout in Baton Rouge was domination.

Nonetheless, we still lost and as you said elsewhere, I think we are pretty much out of the playoff this year. I hope the team and staff are more focused on Mississippi State than this Board.

Uh, no.

According to the chair it was UGA's two wins over Notre Dame and Florida.

People are suggesting "we should cheer for Auburn" when I'm of the opinion let's just root for Missouri this weekend along with Navy.
Guess I missed something somewhere. Looks like the simple way to move to number four is to have the number four team get beaten. You can cheer for Missouri to beat Florida. Me, I will be painfully cheering for Auburn.

Me, I will be painfully cheering for Auburn.
That's a deal breaker with me. It's no different than UT vs UGA ... can't pull for either of the three.

In the end the result is likely to be the same. When you're looking at the two teams they're (UGA) getting credit for beating (UF and ND) the farther they fall will have impact on UGA.

There's a story that very well could develop outside the playoffs if UGA wins this weekend. One, Gus is pushed harder out the door and they'll end up targeting a guy like Freeze. Now, that's of interest to me because Freeze has always said "Tennessee is my dream job." Would that make Fulmer make a move so Freeze doesn't end up elsewhere? I can certainly see that happening.

That's a deal breaker with me. It's no different than UT vs UGA ... can't pull for either of the three.

In the end the result is likely to be the same. When you're looking at the two teams they're (UGA) getting credit for beating (UF and ND) the farther they fall will have impact on UGA.

There's a story that very well could develop outside the playoffs if UGA wins this weekend. One, Gus is pushed harder out the door and they'll end up targeting a guy like Freeze. Now, that's of interest to me because Freeze has always said "Tennessee is my dream job." Would that make Fulmer make a move so Freeze doesn't end up elsewhere? I can certainly see that happening.

Oh my, Freeze at Auburn would be priceless. Over/under three years before they get hit with NCAA violations if that happens?

Oh my, Freeze at Auburn would be priceless. Over/under three years before they get hit with NCAA violations if that happens?
I'd dare say Fulmer has more long family friends in the insurance business than Auburn but that's a tough one. I do wonder if Jimmy Raines is still as infatuated with Boom as he was last season.

First...my full agreement with you...... they really dont want a rematch
My disagreement....i was at game...they were kicking our ass...we couldnt stop them....and to do so...when needed...would have been a miracle...along with our kicker making a perfect OSK....

Back
Top Bottom