| GAME THREAD Alabama vs Tennessee ~ 3:30ET on CBS TV

The fact Bama had two downhill safety's attempting to counter the UT offense seems wrong. Minkah was moved from DB to safety because the NFL demand cover skills at safety in today's passing schemes.

Josh's scheme like Steve Spurrier uses all 53 yards (width) of that field and you better have some folks with speed and football savvy. Neither 2 or 9 are elite and they will never reach that level.

Most of the teams we play might require two downhill players at safety such as Arkansas.

This version of Bama was given way too much hype when the actual players are just good and not great.

JMO but Kool-Aid should be playing safety.

In reading some of these comments it seems most are in agreement with one or both of the following with Bama D.
1. Bama has unskilled players at some
positions.
2. Players are not being taught proper techniques.
I’m any case both are a direct result of poor recruiting and coaching. It was plain as day yesterday that CNS and CPG were out smarted and out coached by CJH.

No idea if the issue for #2 was a technique issue, coverage calls or just basic ability. This is the only area that I think it was more about what the Viles than us shooting ourselves in the foot. #2 was not going to be able to cover #11 no matter what. We have seen this very thing happen but it is usually on of our WR's against the opositions. This is an extreme example but for a point, I could be out on the field and have perfect technique and the perfect D call but still not have the ability to cover someone much faster than me. This is not correctable w/o recruiting. There is certainly not a quick fix.

Regardless of the reason the Viles found a matchup that favored them and they took advantage of it. Honestly most teams try to get their good WR's matched up with a safety so it is not just a Bama thing. That is a bad matchup for any team that puts the typical safetey on a WR.

Heck #1 for us is a nightmare matchup for the LB's not because the LB's are bad but they are just a different body type that sets up an advantage for the offense.

Hellams is not fast. He's a great in the box guy, but vulnerable in coverage. No one has ever said anything other than that about him. He did have an interception though. He's great in run support, but everyone of our defensive backs waits to long to get out of their back pedal, and they get smoked.

Getting close to sounding like an AU fan...
But it is true...no targeting or PF called on an obvious helmet hit to QBs face mask...
Yhats a head scratcher
Couple of PIs...late being called by back judge..very late
Yea, the PI flag was pretty rough. Hand-fighting. Defender turns and spots the ball and makes a play on it. That's textbook defense, yes there was some contact, but there's contact on every contested ball. Very similar play happened in the Endzone when bama kicked their first field goal on 3rd down we had crossing routes in the back of the end zone. The UT defenders turned the WR with a hip grab but played the ball some. Should've been PI and gave us a fresh set of downs.

JMO but Kool-Aid should be playing safety.
I thought this same thing during the game.... Who takes the corner position if he were to move to safety? Ricks should be something is up there. I think with the balance of the Viles it put stress on the D. Move a better Safety against the run out and a better cover guy then what happens stopping the run? Most offenses can't put that stress on the D. Just speculating on what might be going on in the defensive coaching meetings. To say the least I was very disappointed in the D performance. I thought they were turning the corner this year.

I for one feel the thing that will move the needle the most for this team is better fundamentals that hopefully will cut down on the penalties.

Back
Top Bottom