| MBB/WBB Alabama Men’s Basketball Comes Up Short to Auburn, 66-60, in Regular Season Home Finale

So sloppy, lazy passes that lead to careless turnovers isn't CAJ's fault?

That the players should just MAGICALLY be fundamentally sound with no coaching emphasis on fundamentals whatsoever?

Who threw the pass? Avery cannot be held responsible for every action of a player on the court. Was Saban responsible when Raekwon threw those punches that one game? Was Saban responsible for any of the targeting calls, holding calls against our guys? Sometimes it's just a guy being lazy and this was a case of that. I think everyone is just trying to find reasons to blame Avery. Opposing team go on a run and he doesn't call a timeout? Sure. Not starting the best five? Sure. Is it your fault your kids may get told twice to stop running in the hallways? Lord knows I had good parents, but I got in trouble as school all of the time for goofing off. That wasn't their fault, it was mine for making the decisions to do those things. Our guys are in a position to win, and that goes to coaching. No heart and not being able to finish falls on the players. Just like your parents and coaches told you and me, I can;t do it for you. I can coach you, but in the end it's your responsibility to make it happen.

I feel like CAJ thinks these basics should've already been taught (and they should've really) so he assumes too much. These guys have supposedly played so much basketball before they have stepped on the floor at UA (jr high, HS, AAU, etc) but their bball IQ is awful.

If Avery actually believes that then he should be fired for sure. The coach has to start adding some talented players from outside the state of Alabama if in fact he wants some BB IQ.

The AD is on the clock . What you have is what you will get next season just like the past 8-9 years. Losing to the cow college is always bad but isn't the big deal. Losing twice to A&M,LSU,Barn is worse. The win vs UK is all you really have to brag about. Odds are they give Johnson another year since the tickets will be purchased by the football donors anyway.

The true idiot in T-Town is the collection of DA academics that provided Johnson a contract with suck a large buyout. Just another stupid azz repeat of the Grant deal.

Last edited:
Who threw the pass? Avery cannot be held responsible for every action of a player on the court. Was Saban responsible when Raekwon threw those punches that one game? Was Saban responsible for any of the targeting calls, holding calls against our guys? Sometimes it's just a guy being lazy and this was a case of that. I think everyone is just trying to find reasons to blame Avery. Opposing team go on a run and he doesn't call a timeout? Sure. Not starting the best five? Sure. Is it your fault your kids may get told twice to stop running in the hallways? Lord knows I had good parents, but I got in trouble as school all of the time for goofing off. That wasn't their fault, it was mine for making the decisions to do those things. Our guys are in a position to win, and that goes to coaching. No heart and not being able to finish falls on the players. Just like your parents and coaches told you and me, I can;t do it for you. I can coach you, but in the end it's your responsibility to make it happen.
But when it
Happens....

Over ...

And...

Over...

Repeatedly...

Same mental mistakes and sloppy play for FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS..

Is it coaching then? Coz either he's recruiting shit talent (coaching) or he's not stressing fundamentals (also coaching)

But when it
Happens....

Over ...

And...

Over...

Repeatedly...

Same mental mistakes and sloppy play for FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS..

Is it coaching then? Coz either he's recruiting shit talent (coaching) or he's not stressing fundamentals (also coaching)

Let's be honest, it's almost something different every time in regards to a lazy pass or little things like that, but Ingram driving late in a game and falling down and losing the ball 98% of the time is not on coach. Our guys driving and leaving their feet while trying to pass it behind the three point line only to be stolen is not coaching. Once again, he can tell them not to do it, but it's up to them to not do it. I want to keep saying this, there are plenty of things to work on this offseason, and some blame falls everywhere here, but we are a better team than we were two, three, five, and even ten years ago. We go out and have a chance to win. No one wants to play us when something matters, I can promise you that.

Let's be honest, it's almost something different every time in regards to a lazy pass or little things like that, but Ingram driving late in a game and falling down and losing the ball 98% of the time is not on coach. Our guys driving and leaving their feet while trying to pass it behind the three point line only to be stolen is not coaching. Once again, he can tell them not to do it, but it's up to them to not do it. I want to keep saying this, there are plenty of things to work on this offseason, and some blame falls everywhere here, but we are a better team than we were two, three, five, and even ten years ago. We go out and have a chance to win. No one wants to play us when something matters, I can promise you that.
Again, I think my aforementioned credentials speak for themselves..

In light of that, I appreciate you willing to support Avery like you do.

That said, I'm giving you an EXTREMELY educated and experienced prognosis when I say..

'Bullshit".

That falls on coach. A PATTERN of sloppy, lazy play that continues in YEAR FOUR is ALL on coach for not stressing FUNDAMENTALS in practice.

Ya know, one thing Coach Saban taught us at clinics and camps I worked when I was still coaching HS football: one simple sentence that is the FOUNDATION of coaching philosophy, as it relates to habits and patterns of athletic behavior...

"You're either teaching it, or you're ALLOWING IT TO HAPPEN".

Why do you think that that even the GOAT Coach SABAN HIMSELF dedicates the FIRST 30-45 mins of every practice to FUNDAMENTALS? With 4 and 5 star talent across the roster?

YOU

REP

IT

TILL

THEY

"GET"

IT.

To your point about Ingram: ask yourself why he's STILL making the same bone headed, sloppy mistakes in his 4th year as he was his 1st?

COACHING (or lack thereof), that's why.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Again, I think my aforementioned credentials speak for themselves..

In light of that, I appreciate you willing to support Avery like you do.

That said, I'm giving you an EXTREMELY educated and experienced prognosis when I say..

'Bullshit".

That falls on coach. A PATTERN of sloppy, lazy play that continues in YEAR FOUR is ALL on coach for not stressing FUNDAMENTALS in practice.

Ya know, one thing Coach Saban taught us at clinics and camps I worked when I was still coaching HS football: one simple sentence that is the FOUNDATION of coaching philosophy, as it relates to habits and patterns of athletic behavior...

"You're either teaching it, or you're ALLOWING IT TO HAPPEN".

Why do you think that that even the GOAT Coach SABAN HIMSELF dedicates the FIRST 30-45 mins of every practice to FUNDAMENTALS? With 4 and 5 star talent across the roster?

YOU

REP

IT

TILL

THEY

"GET"

IT.

To your point about Ingram: ask yourself why he's STILL making the same bone headed, sloppy mistakes in his 4th year as he is his 1st?

COACHING (or lack thereof), that's why.

Ha, ok. What you got to say about the mess Duke is dealing with? They can't function without Zion Williamson. Coach K recruits the best class ever, four five stars and they can't function. You blaming Coach K on that one as well? Best current coach and one of the top programs ever and they are having issues with that roster.

Ha, ok. What you got to say about the mess Duke is dealing with? They can't function without Zion Williamson. Coach K recruits the best class ever, four five stars and they can't function. You blaming Coach K on that one as well? Best current coach and one of the top programs ever and they are having issues with that roster.
You're proving my point..

What's going on with Duke is an anomaly, not the NORM.

"Tale of two halves" is the NORM around here. For FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS.

Bookmark your post here and then get back to me in 4 years.

Hell, the suits at Duke won't give coach K 2 years if these anomalies turn into consistent pattern. They'll politely suggest that maybe the game has passed him by and it's time for him to gracefully retire.

Last edited:
Cecil chimes in with a nod toward the state of Bama basketball, echoes everything I've been preaching about laziness and inconsistency.

And when you have Cecil - freaking-Hurt starting to back away from your corner, things are starting to get BAD.

You're proving my point..

What's going on with Duke is an anomaly, not the NORM.

"Tale of two halves" is the NORM around here. For FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS.

Bookmark your post here and then get back to me in 4 years.

Hell, the suits at Duke won't give coach K 2 years if these anomalies turn into consistent pattern. They'll politely suggest that maybe the game has passed him by and it's time for him to gracefully retire.

My ass, because there have been years way worse than this and other years they were favored to win it all and couldn't get out of the first weekend. Duke is VERY up and down for the talent they recruit.

Lot of winning in that Duke record but then again with 15 All American's on the roster every year you expect winning

The guy makes almost three times the amount Avery does, has had what, thirty to forty years to get them to where they are? They had some rough years in the beginning and a lot will say underperform when they have the best team. I'm not comparing Coach K to Avery as he is one of the all-time greats, just making a point it takes time to build a program and even the best deal with personell issues they can't seem to fix. Seeing our improvement, yeah, I'm standing by our coach and want to see what he can do next year and one more after if he can keep some guys in the program.

Avery will return get another year so it doesn't matter what we think. 18 winning seasons out of 19 isn't a bad program for sure. The Tide just can't break into that group of really good teams in the SEC. Losing twice to A&M, Barn, and LSU looks bad. I hope the good player from Mountain Brook will come to Bama but I don't blame him if he takes his talent to a another program.

We have gotten better each year, so that's the pattern!!! Who, other than Saban, has built a powerhouse program in four years? Took Dabo even mkre time that that and these are widely considered the best coaches in the world.
Seriously? Dabo was playing for conference championships in his first full year as a coach.

Not a good comparison.

As I stated before... Cecil has his pulse on all things Bama. When he starts throwing subtle jabs at your program, you KNOW things are bad. And it's not just his outside opinion as a beat writer. He KNOWS people in the athletic department and the BOT.

Ask Mike Shula how long he lasted after Cecil started publishing negative analysis about the football program.

Seriously? Dabo was playing for conference championships in his first full year as a coach.

Not a good comparison.

As I stated before... Cecil has his pulse on all things Bama. When he starts throwing subtle jabs at your program, you KNOW things are bad. And it's not just his outside opinion as a beat writer. He KNOWS people in the athletic department and the BOT.

Ask Mike Shula how long he lasted after Cecil started publishing negative analysis about the football program.

Wow, made a conference title game in the ACC. That's tough.

Once again, I don't give a shit what Cecil Hurt has to say. You let his words affect your opinion on all things Alabama? That's like agreeing with 100% of what Saban does and says, just because it's Coach Saban. Are we where I wish we were? Of course not. This is a 20-25 win team if they had a killer instinct, easily. All I'm saying is it's not all on Avery Johnson. We are improving and getting there. Not fast enough for some, but I am willing to watch for another couple years to see what happens. That is all I am saying.

Wow, made a conference title game in the ACC. That's tough.

Once again, I don't give a shit what Cecil Hurt has to say. You let his words affect your opinion on all things Alabama? That's like agreeing with 100% of what Saban does and says, just because it's Coach Saban. Are we where I wish we were? Of course not. This is a 20-25 win team if they had a killer instinct, easily. All I'm saying is it's not all on Avery Johnson. We are improving and getting there. Not fast enough for some, but I am willing to watch for another couple years to see what happens. That is all I am saying.

Okay, buddy. Keep wearing your Crimson - colored glasses. We are now in year 4 of Avery's tenure. He has had three full recruiting classes to build his own roster, and change the culture.

We have fourth-year Juniors, and seniors, still making the same bone-headed mistakes in games that they made their first year on campus.

The common theme in all four years, is that our teams can rarely put together two halves of a complete game. Killer Instinct? That's called intensity, and mental discipline.. We have not played with 40 minutes of intensity but only in maybe 10-15 games in the entirety of his four-year career here, thus far. The Killer Instinct you reference is nothing more than mental discipline. Mental discipline is taught thru situational repetition. And that, my friend, is all coaching.

Back
Top Bottom