| MBB/WBB Alabama Men’s Basketball Comes Up Short to Auburn, 66-60, in Regular Season Home Finale

"I thought in the first half we did everything pretty much to a tee defensively. We limited them from getting to the free throw line. We did a terrific job defending the three-point line. I think that was all because offensively, we had a pretty decent flow on offense, but they did score eight of our turnovers they converted into 11 points.
The Four Tops..."it's the same old song"
He, like a lot, point to turnvovers. At the same time pointing to defense as the key to their success in the first half.

That's the song I'm singing. It hit a high note last night. @EasyTider

Weathered the storm by blowing out a garbage Florida team both years, while getting waxed himself the first year? Please.

You blame Avery for Petty's "travel" in Knoxville? You blame Avery for the pass Kira threw that was intercepted last night? You blame Avery for guys missing free throws? You blame Avery for Petty and Ingram stepping on the baseline at the end of the game against LSU? You blame Avery for Ingram driving sloppy through the lane on multiple occasions at the end of games only to turn it over without a shot? Come on man, y'all are simply looking for a scapegoat. Yes, we have the talent, but that doesn't mean we're a great team. Avery could easily polish up a few things, it's not all on the players, but I also don't see it as all on him. He is changing the culture and we are a better team and program than we were before he came to town. You hate facts, so I'm not going to share any, but you can keep calling out Johnson all you want.

How about the turnover by Herb Jones on the inbounds that occurred after a Barn turnover? That speaks of low basketball IQ as well. Not on CAJ.

I don't believe Georgia keeps losing to us because of a mental hurdle. They keep getting beat by the better team, barely. I also don't believe Alabama has some type of mental hurdle about not being about to play well against the Dawgs in the first half. Stuff happens, but overall, I would say both teams are well coached at all positions.

The SAME...EXACT...THING that happened to Georgia against us is what has happened to our basketball team. We get up on the better teams, and then we fall off in the second half. You said it yourself, you believe Alabama and Georgia are both well coached, but how can you not say that about our basketball team?

Let's look at Iowa football for instance. Straight mediocre, but they feel they have struck gold with Kirk Ferentz and that he is good enough for them to keep extending him and paying him millions. Is it the fact that no one wants to go to freaking Iowa to play football, or is it a coaching issue? Does anyone really want to come to Alabama to play basketball? I know from my short experience, compared to most of y'all, that it's starting to change where we are getting guys that do, but we're fighting against the Kentucky's, the Duke's, the North Carolina's, the Kansas' still. It takes time for a culture change and to get guys that want to buy in. If Avery hit on some guys like Saban did and was actually able to keep them for three years like Saban did, I have zero doubt we'd see a jump in our success as a program.

You blame Avery for Petty's "travel" in Knoxville? You blame Avery for the pass Kira threw that was intercepted last night? You blame Avery for guys missing free throws? You blame Avery for Petty and Ingram stepping on the baseline at the end of the game against LSU? You blame Avery for Ingram driving sloppy through the lane on multiple occasions at the end of games only to turn it over without a shot? Come on man, y'all are simply looking for a scapegoat. Yes, we have the talent, but that doesn't mean we're a great team. Avery could easily polish up a few things, it's not all on the players, but I also don't see it as all on him. He is changing the culture and we are a better team and program than we were before he came to town. You hate facts, so I'm not going to share any, but you can keep calling out Johnson all you want.

There's an old saying about where the "buck stops." I doubt Avery is as confused about his role in this mess as you seem to be. The "writing is on the wall' readily comes to mind. So does, "for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." Avery knew what he was getting paid big money for and this ain't it.

How about the turnover by Herb Jones on the inbounds that occurred after a Barn turnover? That speaks of low basketball IQ as well. Not on CAJ.

It's one of those things these days that you see a lot in the NBA where they are nonchalant about the simplest of things in the game. "Oh, an inbounds pass, nobody is going to hustle to steal that, so let me lift one leg up while I straddle the line and throw a limp bounce pass to my guy." This is why watching professional sports is a bad idea because they have so many bad tenancies anymore, that stuff like this surfaces.

There's an old saying about where the "buck stops." I doubt Avery is as confused about his role in this mess as you seem to be. The "writing is on the wall' readily comes to mind. So does, "for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." Avery knew what he was getting paid big money for and this ain't it.

I'm the one that is confused? How am I the one that can clearly see where the program is compared to where it was and I'm the one that is confused? We're still a tournament team today. I know deep down you want us to be left out so you can continue to say I told you so, but as of right now we are still a dancing team.

I also want to state and add that I am as sick as the rest of y'all with this team losing. Knowing we have a team that can win and stand up to these higher ranked programs, it makes me sick to watch us falter at the end. I freaking hate it, very very badly. BUT, I am also trying to tell myself that we are building something and a lot of these things don't happen over night. Gotta break a few eggs to enjoy it all later. If we are still not a 20 win team next year after keeping a majority of our team, then I'll start looking for more answers.

Last edited:
Tell me how this tastes, will ya?

As you were bragging about LSU last season one of the wins you pointed to was against Georgia. The Georgia mental hurdle, is it not?

Tell me, Terry, do you think to say something honest about another rival team will turn us all into a pillar of salt? 334 brought up the dawgs and the Gators as some type of pseudo-comparison for Bama basketball. Ain't happening.

I'm the one that is confused? How am I the one that can clearly see where the program is compared to where it was and I'm the one that is confused? We're still a tournament team today. I know deep down you want us to be left out so you can continue to say I told you so, but as of right now we are still a dancing team.

So is a man hanging from the gallows, But not for long.

Tell me, Terry, do you think to say something honest about another rival team will turn us all into a pillar of salt? 334 brought up the dawgs and the Gators as some type of pseudo-comparison for Bama basketball. Ain't happening.
Me, messing around a bit with him, bothers you a bit? I'm thinking me throwing a little 💩 his way isn't that big of a deal considering how we know each other off of this forum. Not quite sure why it's of conversation...

You know longer are a preferred customer of what he's about to launch. 👿

It's one of those things these days that you see a lot in the NBA where they are nonchalant about the simplest of things in the game. "Oh, an inbounds pass, nobody is going to hustle to steal that, so let me lift one leg up while I straddle the line and throw a limp bounce pass to my guy." This is why watching professional sports is a bad idea because they have so many bad tenancies anymore, that stuff like this surfaces.

I watched DUKE do this exact thing last night with 8 seconds left and up by 1. Turnover nearly cost them the game.

Don't be upset pops. We're all pulling for the Tide here.

Would be even better if the basketball team had that attitude, don't you think? Before you go rushing off to your next Georgia/Florida analogy, keep in mind we just allowed our arch-rival to come on to our home court and beat us after being up bigtime. That was the same barner team that blew us out of their stadium a few weeks ago. Did we really want payback? Did it humiliate this team to lose to these midgets on the Plains and hear Pearl wax poetic about his basketball teams heart after the beatdown? That would be a big NO, obviously.

Speaking of having heart, if we had one, we also had a young and talented but inexperienced LSU basketball team by the juggler. Our length was getting the best of them and our zone had them throwing up bricks from outside almost the entire game. If we wanted that game, bad enough to taste it, we had it. Again, if this team played with just the pride it takes to get pizzed off from getting blown out on their home court, much less the fact they are our mortal enemies, they would have taken what was in front of them.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict the future when your team plays with no heart.

Would be even better if the basketball team had that attitude, don't you think? Before you go rushing off to your next Georgia/Florida analogy, keep in mind we just allowed our arch-rival to come on to our home court and beat us after being up bigtime. That was the same barner team that blew us out of their stadium a few weeks ago. Did we really want payback? Did it humiliate this team to lose to these midgets on the Plains and hear Pearl wax poetic about his basketball teams heart after the beatdown? That would be a big NO, obviously.

Speaking of having heart, if we had one, we also had a young and talented but inexperienced LSU basketball team by the juggler. Our length was getting the best of them and our zone had them throwing up bricks from outside almost the entire game. If we wanted that game, bad enough to taste it, we had it. Again, if this team played with just the pride it takes to get pizzed off from getting blown out on their home court, much less the fact they are our mortal enemies, they would have taken what was in front of them.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict the future when your team plays with no heart.

Hey man, the Georgia-Florida analogy fit right in there, so don't be upset I was able to use it against your logic.

Yes, I could not agree more with you about the heart aspect. I can't stand soccer, but you should have seen me at my daughter's soccer game last night and he first one last Saturday. Her first "team" sport outside of gymnastics and cheerleading. I was all over the place, loud, and so excited for her and her team when they scored, and she played a hell of a game. The competitive nature kicked off in me and I was working on coaching her during the game as the X's and O's just starting running through my head as I tried to help her. I have always gotten geeked up over sports and competition, so I cannot for the life of me see why these guys seem down in the dumps. I know you don't want your team overly excited to the point of making mistakes, but showing some fire and an attitude is something I haven't seen this team show. Sexton was a fireball and the kind of player/competitor I was/am, without as much trash talk. We need some fire like that. Hall can show signs of that, but I just don't see it much anywhere else on this team. very timid it seems. That's something we will totally agree on here.

I've been saying for some time we have players with low BB IQ Jones, Petty and Ingram. Giddens on the court is a retard he shot an air ball 3 in the previous game turnover and fouling machine. And Petty thinks he has the dribbling skills of Pistol Pete which causes multiple turnovers a game.

Agreed, but that's a simple rule that should be learned/ taught.

"You can only run the baseline on an inbounds after a made basket"

How do you forget that in your 2nd full year of basketball?

Knowing the rules is part of learning fundamentals, too. And that falls on coaching..

Knowing the rules is part of learning fundamentals, too. And that falls on coaching..

I feel like CAJ thinks these basics should've already been taught (and they should've really) so he assumes too much. These guys have supposedly played so much basketball before they have stepped on the floor at UA (jr high, HS, AAU, etc) but their bball IQ is awful.

At what point do you put responsibility on the player to know the game they are playing? It's not Avery's job to teach Basketball 101. So if we have a lane violation, you put that on Avery Johnson because he should have taken time out of high level D-1 basketball practice and taught our guys that? You scout and recruit these guys, but also have an understanding that they aren't where they are because they know zero about the game. I look at this the same way I do when I see punt coverage when a ball bounces backwards and a lot of players just sit there and watch it until a wise player finally snags it to touch it dead. Drives me freaking nuts when you see five guys looking at each other not sure what to do.

At what point do you put responsibility on the player to know the game they are playing? It's not Avery's job to teach Basketball 101. So if we have a lane violation, you put that on Avery Johnson because he should have taken time out of high level D-1 basketball practice and taught our guys that? You scout and recruit these guys, but also have an understanding that they aren't where they are because they know zero about the game. I look at this the same way I do when I see punt coverage when a ball bounces backwards and a lot of players just sit there and watch it until a wise player finally snags it to touch it dead. Drives me freaking nuts when you see five guys looking at each other not sure what to do.
So sloppy, lazy passes that lead to careless turnovers isn't CAJ's fault?

That the players should just MAGICALLY be fundamentally sound with no coaching emphasis on fundamentals whatsoever?

Back
Top Bottom