| FTBL Alabama Football History

Was always curious if we would have floundered in the wilderness if Stallings would have stayed on for another 10-15 years. Does not seem like we would have. Also would not have gotten CNS so mabe it worked out in the end.

I was a big fan of Coach Stallings. Loved the toughness his teams played with. Of course most people did not like his offensive philisophy but I was ok with it. Might have been a struggle keeping up if he was unwilling to adapt.
Ran into coach stallings a few years after he retired (in biloxi MS). He was with a friend of his (can’t recall his name).
He was crossing the road, my wife (now ex) saw him and said oh my god that’s coach!!!
We got out stopped traffic for them to cross the road, and he invited us to dinner. We ate and talked for almost 2 hours. He was fascinated by my (ex)wife, said she was the most beautiful creature he’d ever seen!!! He was all class tho in the way he handle it, wonderful man, great coach, and a loving father!!! Needless to say I am a huge fan!!!

While I have been a Bama fan we have had two dark times! Right after Coach Bryant pass till Coach Stalling was hired and went he left, then Coach Saban was hired! I hope Coach Saban will pick his replacement.

For the next several years the Crimson Tide program was in turmoil as the result of several coaching changes and NCAA sanctions. After a 3-8 season in 2000, Dubose was fired and replaced by TCU’s Dennis Francione, who remained for only two seasons, posting a 17-8 record before leaving to coach the Texas A&M Aggies. Alabama next turned to Mike Price of Washington State University, who never coached a game as he was fired after just five months for off-the-field misconduct. Former Alabama quarterback Mike Shula was hired to replace Price. He coached from 2003 until 2006 and posted a 26-23 record, with no wins over cross-state rival Auburn.

And for this, I will NOT post pictures of Fran or It's rolling baby Price. Both can get bent and should be stripped of ever being mentioned in the same sentence of Alabama. I liked Shula, but his head coaching abilities to me lacked discipline.
1701270699733.png

Following the turbulent first years of the new century, Alabama Athletic Director Mal Moore hired Nick Saban on January 4, 2007, with the hopes of quickly reinstating Alabama as a national power. Saban, who had coached Louisiana State University (LSU) to the national crown in 2003, opted to return to college football after a two-year stint in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins. His first Crimson Tide team went 7-6, including a win over Colorado in the Independence Bowl. In December 2009, running back Mark Ingram became the first Crimson Tide player to win the Heisman Trophy. In January 2010, the University of Alabama won its 13th national title to cap a 14-0 season, defeating the University of Texas, 37-21, in the BCS National Championship. In January 2012, UA won its second BCS championship in three years, defeating then-number one LSU, 21-0. The following year, UA won their third BCS championship in a 42-14 win over Notre Dame. Alabama opened the 2013 season ranked number one and remained undefeated until its 34-28 loss to Auburn in the Iron Bowl and suffered a 45-31 loss in the Sugar Bowl to the University of Oklahoma.

In 2016, Alabama again won the BCS championship game, defeating Clemson 45-40; running back Derrick Henry was awarded the 2015 Heisman Trophy. In 2018, Alabama won the National Championship, defeating the University of Georgia Bulldogs 26-23 in overtime. The Tide followed up that season by downing Georgia in the SEC Championship, 35-28, but saw its quest for a perfect season and another national championship upended by Clemson, 44-16, in January 2019. In the 2020 season, which was shortened because of the Covid-19 pandemic, the SEC elected to play only within the division. Alabama largely cruised through its 10-game schedule and defeated the Florida Gators for the SEC championship. It overpowered Notre Dame in one playoff game and bested Ohio State 52-24 for the National Championship. The offense had an outstanding season, featuring wide receiver DeVonta Smith, who won the Heisman Trophy, the third Tide player under Saban to do so.

In the 2021 season, Bryce Young became the first Crimson Tide quarterback to win the Heisman as he led Alabama to a 11-1 record through the regular season and overcame the undefeated and top-ranked Georgia Bulldogs 41-24 in the SEC Championship game. The Tide then overpowered the undefeated University of Cincinnati Bearcats 27-6 to advance to the 2022 National Championship title game, where they were bested 33-18 in a rematch against Georgia, finishing the season 13-2. The following season found the Tide again heavily favored to return to the national title game. Mid-season losses to Tennessee (52-49) and LSU (32-31 in overtime), however, bumped Alabama out of the running for a playoff spot. Alabama found some redemption by defeating number nine Kansas State 45-20 in the Sugar Bowl.
1701316474746.png

Following the turbulent first years of the new century, Alabama Athletic Director Mal Moore hired Nick Saban on January 4, 2007, with the hopes of quickly reinstating Alabama as a national power. Saban, who had coached Louisiana State University (LSU) to the national crown in 2003, opted to return to college football after a two-year stint in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins. His first Crimson Tide team went 7-6, including a win over Colorado in the Independence Bowl. In December 2009, running back Mark Ingram became the first Crimson Tide player to win the Heisman Trophy. In January 2010, the University of Alabama won its 13th national title to cap a 14-0 season, defeating the University of Texas, 37-21, in the BCS National Championship. In January 2012, UA won its second BCS championship in three years, defeating then-number one LSU, 21-0. The following year, UA won their third BCS championship in a 42-14 win over Notre Dame. Alabama opened the 2013 season ranked number one and remained undefeated until its 34-28 loss to Auburn in the Iron Bowl and suffered a 45-31 loss in the Sugar Bowl to the University of Oklahoma.

In 2016, Alabama again won the BCS championship game, defeating Clemson 45-40; running back Derrick Henry was awarded the 2015 Heisman Trophy. In 2018, Alabama won the National Championship, defeating the University of Georgia Bulldogs 26-23 in overtime. The Tide followed up that season by downing Georgia in the SEC Championship, 35-28, but saw its quest for a perfect season and another national championship upended by Clemson, 44-16, in January 2019. In the 2020 season, which was shortened because of the Covid-19 pandemic, the SEC elected to play only within the division. Alabama largely cruised through its 10-game schedule and defeated the Florida Gators for the SEC championship. It overpowered Notre Dame in one playoff game and bested Ohio State 52-24 for the National Championship. The offense had an outstanding season, featuring wide receiver DeVonta Smith, who won the Heisman Trophy, the third Tide player under Saban to do so.

In the 2021 season, Bryce Young became the first Crimson Tide quarterback to win the Heisman as he led Alabama to a 11-1 record through the regular season and overcame the undefeated and top-ranked Georgia Bulldogs 41-24 in the SEC Championship game. The Tide then overpowered the undefeated University of Cincinnati Bearcats 27-6 to advance to the 2022 National Championship title game, where they were bested 33-18 in a rematch against Georgia, finishing the season 13-2. The following season found the Tide again heavily favored to return to the national title game. Mid-season losses to Tennessee (52-49) and LSU (32-31 in overtime), however, bumped Alabama out of the running for a playoff spot. Alabama found some redemption by defeating number nine Kansas State 45-20 in the Sugar Bowl.
View attachment 26311
Lets add to this history in a great way this weekend...

The National Championships

Coach- Wallace Wade
The Crimson Tide entered the season as the defending Southern Conference champions after finishing the 1924 season with an 8-1 record. Alabama would then go on and shutout all but one of their regular season opponents en route to a second consecutive Southern Conference championship. The Crimson Tide then accepted an invitation to participate as the first Southern team in the annual Rose Bowl Game, where they defeated Washington 20–19. This victory has subsequently been recognized as one of the most important in Southern football history as well as has been deemed "the game that changed the south.

1701460745928.png
1701460773722.png
DateOpponentSiteResultAttendance
September 26Union (TN)*W 53–0
October 2Birmingham–Southern*
  • Denny Field
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
W 50–7
October 10at LSUW 42–08,000
October 17SewaneeW 27–0
October 24at Georgia TechW 7–020,000
October 31Mississippi A&M
dagger
  • Denny Field (Alabama)
  • Tuscaloosa, AL (rivalry)
W 6–07,000
November 7Kentucky
  • Rickwood Field
  • Birmingham, AL
W 31–0
November 14FloridaW 34–0
November 26Georgia
  • Rickwood Field
  • Birmingham, AL (rivalry)
W 27–0
January 1, 1926vs. Washington*W 20–1955,000
  • *Non-conference game
  • dagger
    Homecoming

Former players and coaches I've met and had an opportunity to talk with for more than just a couple seconds:

Bart Starr - EXTREMELY nice! He and his wife, both. I'd talked to them on several occasions. They used to come into the Pizza Hut I was an assistant manager at back in the early 90s. I never did charge them anything for their meals. I just liked it when they came in. They were always smiling and in a good mood. And they were always accommodating to any fans that wanted autographs. I've got an autographed picture of him while playing with the Packers.
Kenny Stabler - Truly funny and he had some great stories (got his autograph on a football and a jersey)
Joe Namath - Another funny one w/great stories (met him on my birthday while getting his autograph on his book)
Jay Barker - Easy to talk to and appreciative of the fans. I know people that knew him really well and they all said he was an asshole/jerk. I never got that sense...but it could've been because he was in public and meeting with fans.
Most of the 2009 team (standouts...Greg McElroy (very nice), A. J. McCarron (very nice, as well), Julio Jones (very nice, but really quiet), Mark Ingram (super nice and appreciative of the fans), Javier Arenas (funny and super nice), Cory Reamer (down to Earth and super nice), Leigh Tiffin (down to Earth and super nice; met him at the same time I met Cory Reamer), Chris Rogers (super funny and likes to joke a lot, also super nice), Eryk Anders (funny and reserved, VERY appreciative of the fans and the opportunity he got).
Coach Stallings - Extremely nice and down to Earth. He had some great stories and most were funny. You could tell his best friend was John Mark (still so sad about him).
Coach Saban - business-like, but appreciates the fans, easy to talk to

National Championship #2
Coach- Wallace Wade

They finished the season with a record of nine wins, zero losses and one tie (9–0–1 overall, 8–0 in the SoCon), as Southern Conference champions. They tied undefeated Stanford in the Rose Bowl. The 1926 Alabama team was retroactively named as the 1926 national champion by Berryman QPRS, Billingsley Report, College Football Researchers Association, and Poling System.
September 24Millsaps*W 54–04,000
October 2at VanderbiltW 19–716,000
October 9at Mississippi A&MW 26–7
October 16at Georgia TechW 21–020,000
October 23SewaneeW 2–0
October 30LSU
dagger
  • Denny Field
W 24–0
November 6Kentucky
  • Rickwood Field
  • Birmingham, AL
W 14–0
November 13FloridaW 49–0
November 25Georgia
  • Rickwood Field
W 33–617,000
January 1, 1927vs. Stanford*T 7–756,000
1701486112584.png1701486356460.png

National Championship #3
Coach- Wallace Wade

Alabama completed the regular season 9-0-0, winning the Southern Conference championship. Alabama was then invited to play Washington State in the January 1, 1931 Rose Bowl. Coach Wade's team defeated the Cougars 24-0 to finish the season 10-0-0. The outstanding player of the game was John Campbell. Park Davis retroactively awarded Alabama a share in the national championship in his analysis for Spalding's Football Guide in 1934. The contemporary Dickenson, Dunkel and Houlgate rankings gave Notre Dame, also 10-0, the championship. The Fighting Irish are recognized as champions in the NCAA record book.
September 27Howard (AL)*W 43–06,000
October 4Ole Miss
  • Denny Stadium
W 64–0
October 11SewaneeW 25–0
October 18Tennessee
dagger
  • Denny Stadium
W 18–618,000
October 25Vanderbilt
  • Legion Field
  • Birmingham, AL
W 12–720,000
November 1at KentuckyW 19–022,000
November 8at FloridaW 20–018,000
November 15LSUW 33–05,000
November 27Georgia
  • Legion Field
W 13–028,000
January 1, 1931vs. Washington State*W 24–060,000
  • *Non-conference game
  • dagger
    Homecoming
1701657518151.png1701657551538.png

thank you for creating this thread! Brings back some great memories!

My high school won the Alabama State 5A football championship the two years before I started there, and the year after I graduated... My senior year, my assistant principal sold some of us tickets to the first ever SECCG where Antonio Langum ran the interception into the same endzone where my friends and I were sitting 3 rows back in that same corner... so Bama won the 92 championship the year before I enrolled... Of course my years there we were on probation for most of it, but I still remember a lot of good games, especially beating UGA and Eric Zeier. So my school career just missed on winning championships, but happy that my schools won them even though I wasn't a current student!

My first Bama memory is "The Kick"... I'm sure I watched other games before that one, but I don't remember any of them. I remember my grandmother buying me a John Elway figurine and I painted it crimson and white and put Shula's number on it LOL.

My favorite players of all time are still Derrick Thomas (God rest his soul) and Shaun Alexander, although some of the recent ones under Saban are definitely creeping up.

National Championship #4
Coach- Frank Thomas
Alabama completed the regular season 9-0-0, winning the Southeastern Conference championship. Alabama was then invited to play Stanford in the January 1, 1935 Rose Bowl. Coach Thomas' team defeated the Indians 29-13 to finish the season 10-0-0. The outstanding player of the game was Millard "Dixie" Howell. Selectors crediting Alabama as national champion included Dunkel, Williamson, and The Football Thesaurus. Minnesota, which went 8-0 but did not play in a bowl game, was also credited as champion by three contemporary selectors.
September 29Howard (AL)*W 24–06,000
October 6SewaneeW 35–6
October 13Mississippi State
  • Denny Stadium
W 41–06,000
October 20TennesseeW 13–618,000
October 27Georgia
  • Legion Field
W 26–615,000
November 3at KentuckyW 34–1413,000
November 10Clemson*
dagger
  • Denny Stadium
W 40–08,000
November 17at Georgia TechW 40–014,000
November 29Vanderbilt
  • Legion Field
  • Birmingham, AL
W 34–024,000
January 1, 1935vs. Stanford*W 29–1384,474
1701744296353.png

1701744346043.png

National Championship #5
Coach- Frank Thomas

Alabama completed the regular season 8-2-0. Alabama's squad finished 3rd in the Southeastern Conference after suffering losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. Alabama was ranked 20th in the final Associated Press poll, but defeated the Texas A&M Aggies 29-21 in the January 1, 1942 Cotton Bowl to finish the season 9-2-0. The outstanding players of the game were Holt Rast, Don Whitmire, and Jimmy Nelson. The only selector giving Alabama the title that year was Deke Houlgate's retroactive system.
DateOpponentRankSiteResultAttendance
September 27Southwestern Louisiana*W 47–66,000
October 4Mississippi State
  • Denny Stadium
L 0–1418,000
October 11Howard (AL)*W 61–06,000
October 18at TennesseeW 9–235,000
October 25Georgia
  • Legion Field
W 27–1423,000