| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Alabama Falls 87-71 to Texas A&M in Home Finale

This team has really been no fun to watch since the Houston game tonight was agonizing. I was hoping to split the last two games and win a couple in the SECT and have some momentum going into the dance. This team is not hungry or driven turnovers, poor decisions and defense are killing this team.
For sure no fun at all since SEC play started. I know the players and leadership have to own a lot of this but Oats also has to own his part as well. He is asking this team to do something they clearly cannot do consistently on the offensive end. Now the effort issue that is on him also because he keeps playing them. Sit guys if they are not giving effort period. Could it really be any worse?

Missed the game and just saw the score. WTF? Outscored by 19 in one half. JD 30 minutes and 6 points. Geez. Nothing this team does really surprises me. Does anyone really think we’ll make a run to the Sweet 16? Seriously?

On a side note, looks like Bama Boy had a nice one-man game thread! 🤣 Just scrolled through and got to see what was happening.

For sure no fun at all since SEC play started. I know the players and leadership have to own a lot of this but Oats also has to own his part as well. He is asking this team to do something they clearly cannot do consistently on the offensive end. Now the effort issue that is on him also because he keeps playing them. Sit guys if they are not giving effort period. Could it really be any worse?

There is no leadership on this team. There is a talent issue on this team CNO should be looking to the portal to help with this issue other coaches in the SEC have been very successful using the portal.

Last edited:
I have harped all season long on our turnovers, 19 last night. Our big man, is in need of getting seriously stronger. Defense was like a matador, Ole! We could not and did not get a stop when we needed it. I would rather lose with kids hustling their butts off than some going through the motions. CNO has talked several times of sitting players who do not play defense and yet kids are still playing???? Out rebounded 33-24. This is not the way to go into the SEC tournament. Very disappointing loses to A&M and UGA.

Most likely finish to this season

Loss to LSU
Loss in round one of the SEC
Loss in round one of the NCAA
Put away the jocks and sox
Nate cull his team (you don't want to bring back the same people for another year of their bullshit including JD). You would have to work hard to find a player more hyped and less performance that JD. He's more like a 3* project from a small school than a 5*.

On the bright side, Bama is going to the Dance and not the NIT

Nate hammered the poor leadership on this team in his press conference last night. Said he's got to do a better job of motivating them and getting them to play with 100% effort. Then 16 of our 19 turnovers were from guards. But last night after the loss, no one wanted to step up and speak out on the loss. He said they were all quiet.

Tells you everything you need to know about this year's squad. Last season had Herb, Bruner, Petty, and Reese all speaking out and holding everyone accountable. Not a single player on this team has that leadership quality, and the chemistry suffers for it.

And I hammer on JD a good bit because he's supposed to be a potential first round pick. But he's nowhere near ready. Regardless of his play this season, I absolutely would love to have him back. Experience helps a ton, and I think another season would do him better. Not just offensively, but lord he is atrocious on defense. I feel bad for Bediako, because he's giving it his all and doing everything when guys on the perimeter get beat off the dribble. But so often he's put in a no-win situation.

Just me if I were a player, I'd want to play harder if I saw I was hurting my teammates. But some of these guys just don't care. I know Oats has to take some blame, but there's literally nothing you can do when the guys themselves aren't 100% bought in. Saban dealt with this in 2010 after winning it all in 2009. Losing quality leadership is the most underrated aspect of any team sport.

I feel bad for Bediako, because he's giving it his all and doing everything when guys on the perimeter get beat off the dribble. But so often he's put in a no-win situation.

Just me if I were a player, I'd want to play harder if I saw I was hurting my teammates. But some of these guys just don't care. I know Oats has to take some blame, but there's literally nothing you can do when the guys themselves aren't 100% bought in. Saban dealt with this in 2010 after winning it all in 2009. Losing quality leadership is the most underrated aspect of any team sport.

I agree with you about Bediako. He is the only player that has gotten better this year in my eyes. Keon Ellis has been elite on defense, but we knew he would be a huge help there.

I hate it, but I feel jumping to the league, the hype Quinnerly and Shackelford got last year, the hype of JD coming in has caused this team to crash. All of them have have skills, but they just can't seem to play together for extended periods of time and see success. If only one was stable, we likely have a killer year.

I’ve said it all year long about the lack of leadership on this team. No Alpha Dog on the roster to jerk a knot in someone’s ass! I still see the same mistakes with this group as what I used to see with my junior high and B-teams that I used to coach. A LOT of middle school mistakes, leaving your feet and not having any clue where you are going to go with it, lazy passes, not meeting the pass, waiting on it to come to you. Passink said it last night. When they leave their feet, it is 100% a turnover, without a doubt!!! I’d suggest “run their asses until they learn to do it right” or fingertip push-ups or heavy ropes for minutes at a time! That’s what my old HS coach did, and by God, it worked!! We may not have been very good, but we didn’t turn the ball over 18+ times a night.

I’ve said it all year long about the lack of leadership on this team. No Alpha Dog on the roster to jerk a knot in someone’s ass! I still see the same mistakes with this group as what I used to see with my junior high and B-teams that I used to coach. A LOT of middle school mistakes, leaving your feet and not having any clue where you are going to go with it, lazy passes, not meeting the pass, waiting on it to come to you. Passink said it last night. When they leave their feet, it is 100% a turnover, without a doubt!!! I’d suggest “run their asses until they learn to do it right” or fingertip push-ups or heavy ropes for minutes at a time! That’s what my old HS coach did, and by God, it worked!! We may not have been very good, but we didn’t turn the ball over 18+ times a night.

Been saying that for a few years now with that drive towards the baseline, getting in the air, and trying to wing it out to the three point line and we turn it over. I can't understand how D-1 cream of the crop athletes still CONSISTANTLY make these mistakes.

Last year’s success drew me back to Bama BB. This year’s play has reminded me why I haven’t followed Bama BB too closely since the mid 90’s. I really thought this could be a magical season but I was so very wrong. I never bet on Bama football … ever … but I stupidly placed a bet a Bama making it to the Final Four this season. Oops.

Coaching?? I guess today I am a little down on Oats. I expected more from this team and in his ability to not allow it to drop off as much as it has from last year.

I have said it several times. CNO does not have a plan B when A is not working. Plan A is drive the lane and either kick out for a 3
or layup. When the 3’s are not falling lt affects all other aspects of their game…defense, rebounding, FT’s and etc. if the 3’s are falling they will beat LSU, go far in the SEC and NCAA tournament if not they will not win another game this season. CNO even made the statement earlier in the season that you can’t change offensive philosophy in the middle of the season That is all but saying he does not know anything else to do.

I have said it several times. CNO does not have a plan B when A is not working. Plan A is drive the lane and either kick out for a 3
or layup. When the 3’s are not falling lt affects all other aspects of their game…defense, rebounding, FT’s and etc. if the 3’s are falling they will beat LSU, go far in the SEC and NCAA tournament if not they will not win another game this season. CNO even made the statement earlier in the season that you can’t change offensive philosophy in the middle of the season That is all but saying he does not know anything else to do.
Unfortunately I think this is true. A few months ago I pondered if Oats is our Malzone? I sure hope not but he has to be able to adapt (see Saban) because if you just do one thing the coaches and players in the SEC are just to good. That is what happened to Mr gimmick in football and it eventually caught up with him.

Back
Top Bottom