| FTBL AJC Sportswriter Mark Bradley posts his preseason picks

Bamalee1

Verified Member
One of the first times i hope this guy is right

Reading college football crystal ball
By Mark Bradley | Saturday, June 23, 2007, 12:07 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

If I thought Georgia could ever win in Jacksonville, I’d pick the Bulldogs to take the SEC East. But I don’t, so I won’t. If I thought Georgia Tech would benefit from Reggie Ball’s absence as much as many Jackets fans do, I’d pick Tech to win the ACC Coastal. But I don’t, so I won’t.

Yes, it’s time for the annual long-range look at college football, a feature guaranteed to bring me nothing but grief once the actual games begin. So why do I continue to offer up such predictions? Because deep down you know there’d be a void in your lives if I didn’t.

— Georgia will go 10-2 and come within an eyelash of rendering the reigning BCS titlist a runner-up in its own division. I see the Bulldogs winning in Knoxville but losing in Tuscaloosa. Part of me even envisions Georgia beating Florida on Oct. 27. Then another part — the brain, I believe it’s called — recalls that the Bulldogs stopped enjoying Jacksonville about the same time Vince Dooley stopped coaching.

— Alabama will win as many games (nine) as Auburn. That sound you hear is the Tigers’ window of opportunity slamming shut. Nick Saban isn’t a very nice guy, but he’s a very good coach. He’ll have the Tide playing for the SEC title within two years.

— Auburn had the schedule to play for the BCS title last season but lost twice at home. This year the Tigers must face those conquerors — Arkansas and Georgia — on the road. They must also go to Baton Rouge and to Gainesville. That’s not a championship schedule. That’s a bound-for-the-Chick-Fil-a Bowl schedule.

— Virginia Tech will win the ACC and will, for obvious reasons, become an even bigger story than last year’s ACC champ (Wake Forest) was.

— Wake Forest will finish 6-6 as reality rears its head.

— Southern Cal will play Texas for the BCS title. Southern Cal will win this time.

— LSU will again have the SEC’s most talented team and will again lose twice — once when the Tigers go to Tuscaloosa and get outcoached by the guy who used to coach them and then against Florida in the SEC championship game. That will serve as payback for the Gators’ loss in Baton Rouge on Oct. 6.

— Georgia Tech will go 8-4. One magazine projects the Jackets as a Top 15 team, but I can’t imagine how losing the nation’s most talented player and a four-year starting quarterback makes you better. Yes, Taylor Bennett looked good throwing to Calvin Johnson in the Gator Bowl, but Johnson could make any quarterback look good. (Even Reggie Ball — sometimes.) Tech was staring at a breakthrough season last November and couldn’t beat Georgia or Wake. Sorry, but I don’t see this year’s Jackets being quite as good.

— I see Florida State being lots better with Jimbo Fisher calling plays. I see the Seminoles winning the ACC Atlantic.

— Darren McFadden won’t win the Heisman because he’ll get hurt. (Louisville’s Brian Brohm will take the trophy.) Stripped of his best player and fan support, Houston Nutt will step down before Thanksgiving. He’ll announce his resignation via text message.

— Speaking of the ‘Ville: The Cardinals will lose at West Virginia on Nov. 8 in a Thursday-night matchup of unbeatens. And the Mountaineers will go 12-0 but will be barred from the BCS title game because Southern Cal and Texas will be similarly undefeated. And the drumbeat for a playoff system will sound again. And it will, as ever, go unheeded by those in position to make it happen.

— Phillip Fulmer will be replaced by David Cutcliffe the first week in December. (The final straw will be Tennessee losing to Kentucky for the first time since 1984.) Hearing the news, Johnny Majors will laugh deep into January.

reger60 said:
Darren McFadden won’t win the Heisman because he’ll get hurt.

:shock:

Man. That's classless.

Aside from being classless, it's also not a smart prediction. If McFadden was going to have to carry the rock 30+ times, I could see an injury or two. With Felix Jones as the backup, McFadden shouldn't carry the ball more than 20 times a game. Unless it's just a freak injury, I don't see McFadden going down this season.

With that said, McFadden won't win the Heisman because his backup is one of the top backs in the SEC. They will both finish with over 1000 yards.

So with Bama beating UGA and LSU, who are we going to lose three games to? He doesn't say that Bama will beat AU, but he leads that way. He also has Nutt stepping down before the season is over,(which would take a horrible season) so again, who does he think we are going to lose three games to? :?

reger60 said:
Darren McFadden won’t win the Heisman because he’ll get hurt.

:shock:

Man. That's classless.
Remember this guy is only a sports writer, and most of them live on knee jerk reactions. Im sure the LSU folks will love what he said about LSU only losing 1 regular season sec game to their former coach who will out coach theirs.

Its no worse than predicting someone losing their job-that's far worse than injury,as long as its not a life threatening injury. Predicting that a coach will fail miserably and lose his job, forcing his innocent family to move out and dwell elsewhere isn't too much better. Not that I'm influencing anyone to make comments like that, because predicting injury is wrong and unethical. But do you see what I mean, Verne? :shock:

rolltyroll said:
Its no worse than predicting someone losing their job-that's far worse than injury,as long as its not a life threatening injury. Predicting that a coach will fail miserably and lose his job, forcing his innocent family to move out and dwell elsewhere isn't too much better. Not that I'm influencing anyone to make comments like that, because predicting injury is wrong and unethical. But do you see what I mean, Verne? :shock:

But with having a Head Coaching job you must expect scrutiny. Predicting a injury on any level of morals is like wishing one on them basically.

I'm with Argo though, if McFadden doesn't win the Heisman its because his back-up Felix Jones is raw. :wink:

Argo said:
So with Bama beating UGA and LSU, who are we going to lose three games to? He doesn't say that Bama will beat AU, but he leads that way. He also has Nutt stepping down before the season is over,(which would take a horrible season) so again, who does he think we are going to lose three games to? :?

Florida State, Tennesse, Vandy, or Ole Miss? I see two sure possible ones...

Would be just like a Bama season to win all the big ones and lose to a Ole Miss or Vandy team. :roll:

TideAlum05 said:
Seriously, is this guy a Bama alum? I sure do hope he's right.

I hope he's right too.

And no, he's not a Bama alum. In fact he is about the biggest Bama basher there is. Maybe in all my years of living here in the ATL he has said about 2 positive things about Alabama.

For some reason either he really believes we'll be that strong or he wants to set us up for a huge fall. I really don't pay attention to any of those guys, but I sure like his predictions better than most.

At the risk of being called ugly names, I think he's right about McFadden. Not that I want the kid to get hurt, I just think that he will. Everyone is drinking the kool-aide on Arky, and I think they are horrible. McFadden and Jones comprise about 90% of Arky's offense with Monk being the other 10%. I haven't looked at their schedule, but if they win 7 games, it'll be miraculous as far as I'm concerned. Again, I DO NOT wish for any player on any team to get hurt, but when a running back (or tandem of running backs) has to be the entire offense for his team, the likelihood of injury goes sky high.

McFadden and Jones comprise about 90% of Arky's offense with Monk being the other 10%.

I'll call you an ugly name. How about realist. Is that ugly enough for you? :lol:

Look, the fact of the matter is, kids get hurt playing football. McFadden has as good a chance as anyone to get hurt. I know a lot of people are taking exception to what the writer said but I personally don't think it's that big a deal. The writer made a statement pretty much saying that he feels like McFadden is due. Not that he wished McFadden would get hurt, but that he is probably due given the odds in football. Runningbacks take a pounding and McFadden will certainly take one this year. The writer's pre-season prediction as to why the guy won't win the Heisman is due to injury. Will it happen? We'll have to see. But it could, and easily.

I think the real reason McFadden won't win the Heisman (barring injury) is because of where he plays, but that's just me.

Like Dusty said though, McFadden and Jones are all they have. Arkansas has no quarterback to speak of, and that's not an opinion. That's just the way it is. Everyone here knows that Casy Dick is just(insert your own here). He's terrible. And had it not been for off-the-field turmoil last season Mitch Mustain would be the starter.

Arkansas has no tight end. They have no FB threat. They have 1 talented WR and that is Monk. But Dick is the QB so it's almost a moot point.

Can Arkansas win this year like they did last year? No. Not IMHO. Any defensive coach worth his salt knows what's coming. It's run right, run left, run up the middle and then try another run.

Keep in mind that half of Arkansas' wins last season came with Mustain as the QB and he's gone. Also, the Hogs lost a ton of games (by division winners' standards). They had their shot. They're done.

porkchop said:
I'll call you an ugly name. How about realist. Is that ugly enough for you? :lol:

Look, the fact of the matter is, kids get hurt playing football. McFadden has as good a chance as anyone to get hurt. I know a lot of people are taking exception to what the writer said but I personally don't think it's that big a deal. The writer made a statement pretty much saying that he feels like McFadden is due. Not that he wished McFadden would get hurt, but that he is probably due given the odds in football. Runningbacks take a pounding and McFadden will certainly take one this year. The writer's pre-season prediction as to why the guy won't win the Heisman is due to injury. Will it happen? We'll have to see. But it could, and easily.

I think the real reason McFadden won't win the Heisman (barring injury) is because of where he plays, but that's just me.

Like Dusty said though, McFadden and Jones are all they have. Arkansas has no quarterback to speak of, and that's not an opinion. That's just the way it is. Everyone here knows that Casy Dick is just(insert your own here). He's terrible. And had it not been for off-the-field turmoil last season Mitch Mustain would be the starter.

Arkansas has no tight end. They have no FB threat. They have 1 talented WR and that is Monk. But Dick is the QB so it's almost a moot point.

Can Arkansas win this year like they did last year? No. Not IMHO. Any defensive coach worth his salt knows what's coming. It's run right, run left, run up the middle and then try another run.

Keep in mind that half of Arkansas' wins last season came with Mustain as the QB and he's gone. Also, the Hogs lost a ton of games (by division winners' standards). They had their shot. They're done.
Amen Porkchop... Arky had his season last year. They lost the strength of the D with the departures of Anderson, Houston and Olajubutu. And offensively, McFadden and Jones must carry the load, I think we'll see a lot of Wildcat 'cause Dick isn't a valuable QB. Thought, maybe McFadden in Wildcat could affect his draft status... But, it's clear, in my opinion, 'Bama will beat them next 15th September at Bryant-Denny... and this is our first warning to the entire nation. :wink:

RTR

porkchop said:
Look, the fact of the matter is, kids get hurt playing football. McFadden has as good a chance as anyone to get hurt. I know a lot of people are taking exception to what the writer said but I personally don't think it's that big a deal.

Change the name to McFadden to John Parker Wilson and see what the reaction would be around here.

I've only been watching SEC football for about 5-6 years now. But the worst 1st string QB that I've ever seen is when Kevin Fant played for Miss St. The guy simply did not have the physical ability to get it done in the SEC. Casey Dick will give Fant a run for his money I believe. Sadly enough, this will play a huge roll in McFadden's Heisman campaign.

reger60 said:
porkchop said:
Look, the fact of the matter is, kids get hurt playing football. McFadden has as good a chance as anyone to get hurt. I know a lot of people are taking exception to what the writer said but I personally don't think it's that big a deal.

Change the name to McFadden to John Parker Wilson and see what the reaction would be around here.

I just hope that doesn't happen reger. We don't have teh best track record recently with our backup QBs. :(

reger60 said:
porkchop said:

So the reason JPW won't win the Heisman is because he'll get hurt this season? :p

TideAlum05 said:
I've only been watching SEC football for about 5-6 years now. But the worst 1st string QB that I've ever seen is when Kevin Fant played for Miss St. The guy simply did not have the physical ability to get it done in the SEC. Casey Dick will give Fant a run for his money I believe. Sadly enough, this will play a huge roll in McFadden's Heisman campaign.

Marc Guillen and Spencer Pennington

With that said, McFadden won't win the Heisman because his backup is one of the top backs in the SEC. They will both finish with over 1000 yards.[/quote]

I recall asimilar backfield at USC producing a heisman winner 2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom