| FTBL AJC Sportswriter Mark Bradley posts his preseason picks

BamaBullies said:
TideAlum05 said:
I've only been watching SEC football for about 5-6 years now. But the worst 1st string QB that I've ever seen is when Kevin Fant played for Miss St. The guy simply did not have the physical ability to get it done in the SEC. Casey Dick will give Fant a run for his money I believe. Sadly enough, this will play a huge roll in McFadden's Heisman campaign.

Marc Guillen and Spencer Pennington

I'll tell you what. As far as looking the part Guillon did. Guillon had it. Guillon was big, streamline and had one of the sweetest releases I've ever seen. He just looked like your prototypical drop-back passer when he was in the pocket. The problem with Guillon was he only looked the part until the ball left his hand. He routinely made bad decisions and threw into coverages where he never saw the DB. But make no mistake, Guillon had some talent. He had the arm.

Spencer Pennington on the other hand, did not. I can't speak on Kevin Fant, but Pennington is far and away the worst college QB I've ever seen. He just did not have the talent to play in the SEC. He was a fine HS quarterback but he probably never really had the tools for the next level.

porkchop said:
BamaBullies said:
TideAlum05 said:
I've only been watching SEC football for about 5-6 years now. But the worst 1st string QB that I've ever seen is when Kevin Fant played for Miss St. The guy simply did not have the physical ability to get it done in the SEC. Casey Dick will give Fant a run for his money I believe. Sadly enough, this will play a huge roll in McFadden's Heisman campaign.

I'll tell you what. As far as looking the part Guillon did. Guillon had it. Guillon was big, streamline and had one of the sweetest releases I've ever seen. He just looked like your prototypical drop-back passer when he was in the pocket. The problem with Guillon was he only looked the part until the ball left his hand. He routinely made bad decisions and threw into coverages where he never saw the DB. But make no mistake, Guillon had some talent. He had the arm.

Spencer Pennington on the other hand, did not. I can't speak on Kevin Fant, but Pennington is far and away the worst college QB I've ever seen. He just did not have the talent to play in the SEC. He was a fine HS quarterback but he probably never really had the tools for the next level.

Honestly, I think Guillon could have been a hell of a QB with the right system (and an attitude adjustment).
AS for Spencer, he was recruited as an option QB (Fran). Plus an Injury to his throwing shoulder caused him a lot of problems.

Bama Bo said:
porkchop said:
BamaBullies said:
TideAlum05 said:

Honestly, I think Guillon could have been a hell of a QB with the right system (and an attitude adjustment).
AS for Spencer, he was recruited as an option QB (Fran). Plus an Injury to his throwing shoulder caused him a lot of problems.

If Spencer was recruited as an option QB by Franchione (and I can't remember who recruited him) then Franchione was a bigger idiot than most of us give him credit for.

Fayette County does not run the option. Spencer played in a QB-friendly system there that allowed decent athletes to put up incredible numbers and win games. They ran a Pro-style attack and I can't remember them ever running an option with any regularity in all the years that I have watched them or played against them.

I don't worry about injuries one bit. That is just one part of life where I have absolutely zero control, and usually the particular athlete involved has no control as well. Injuries will happen to every team at some point.

That said, I sure hope we can avoid the injury bug this year. For whatever reason Shula was snakebit by injuries during his short stay. When you look at losing your starting QB and running backs as well as your starting center and various others throughout the seasons you're looking at missing very key pieces.

I will always contend we would have been in ATL without the loss of Pro and JB in '05. Heck, look at how close we were even with those injuries and bad coaching. :?

BamaDelta said:
I don't worry about injuries one bit. That is just one part of life where I have absolutely zero control, and usually the particular athlete involved has no control as well. Injuries will happen to every team at some point.

That said, I sure hope we can avoid the injury bug this year. For whatever reason Shula was snakebit by injuries during his short stay. When you look at losing your starting QB and running backs as well as your starting center and various others throughout the seasons you're looking at missing very key pieces.

I will always contend we would have been in ATL without the loss of Pro and JB in '05. Heck, look at how close we were even with those injuries and bad coaching. :?

I disagree to some degree. While many injuries are (I hate to use this term) unavoidable, there is a correlation between a good strength and conditioning program and injury rate. From internet scuttlebutt and fifth hand accounts, Shula's S&C program was "voluntary". So, with a leave nothing to chance guy like Saban, your S&C should be improved and therefore, your injury rate should decrease over the next few years.

Your depth still lacks when those first stringers go down. But fewer will go down this fall if Saban is really that much more of a disciplinarian.

Tigrinum Major said:
BamaDelta said:

I disagree to some degree. While many injuries are (I hate to use this term) unavoidable, there is a correlation between a good strength and conditioning program and injury rate. From internet scuttlebutt and fifth hand accounts, Shula's S&C program was "voluntary". So, with a leave nothing to chance guy like Saban, your S&C should be improved and therefore, your injury rate should decrease over the next few years.

Your depth still lacks when those first stringers go down. But fewer will go down this fall if Saban is really that much more of a disciplinarian.

I definitely agree!

eshad said:
Tigrinum Major said:
BamaDelta said:

I definitely agree!

Yea I agree with the barner too. For ONCE he actually makes some sense. It will probably be the last time though.

BamaBullies said:
eshad said:
Tigrinum Major said:
BamaDelta said:

I definitely agree!

Yea I agree with the barner too. For ONCE he actually makes some sense. It will probably be the last time though.

Yep, he's probably right. He had to be the one to say it though...if any of us had said it it would have been another "sour grapes Shula story".

Back
Top Bottom