| FTBL A stab in the dark at the depth chart...

Orange and Blue was the color of choice in the Curt Reamer household in Hoover . "We were definitely an Auburn Family and growing up Cory really didn't have much of choice. Most of our family went there". Said Kurt Reamer the elder statesman of the Reamer clan. "Cory was basically surrounded by Auburn fans for most of his life". But after a visit to AU in Cory's JR year he made a stunning revelation to his father on the way back from Auburn. "Dad, I believe I am going to look great in Crimson and White." Kurt Reamer's response was simple. " I wanted him to be happy and go where he felt most comfortable. I was thrilled that my son was going to play major college football. And Alabama is Alabama". Cory was a bit anxious about the feelings of his family when Auburn offered. "Coach Chizik ( AU Defensive Coordinator and current Iowa State Head Coach) told me I reminded him of Will Herring ( Seattle Seahawks LB) and when Auburn offered I told my dad " I was way too scared to tell you." Curt Reamer offered " I think Cory was afraid we were going to try and persuade him to attend AU. I told him from day 1 this is your decision. It was really funny to tell you the truth. I promise you, we couldn't be more happier or proud for Cory."

So that's how it happened. Now just a 30 minute drive down the interstate there are a lot of perks to being just a hop skip and a jump from Hoover. " It's been a blast coming here. 30 miles from home and I try and take advantage of it. Home cooked meals and mom sometime's meets me at the Mercedes Benz plant with some great home cooking. My sister is here now and in a sorority and my parents can be down here in no time. And they really love it as much as we do. I knew the day I stepped on campus this was where I wanted to be."

Pride. Tradition. Respect. Words that come quickly to mind when you think Alabama. Defense wins championships and the first day as a wild eyed freshman, Reamer was quickly introduced to another Bama tradition. Intensity from some real life enforcers of the 2005 Crimson Tide defense.

" I was never as scared in my life as I was the first day." Cory recalled. I look over and see this beast wearing #47 and I thought to myself, I need to make friends with that guy immediately." That beast was NFL Draft Pick Mark Anderson. " Here I am a 195 lbs freshman and we have these guys that were unreal. Demeco Ryans, Freddie Roach and Roman Harper were incredible leaders. I am #13 and dress beside # 14 which was JP Wilson, and I am thinking to myself, welcome to the SEC and I haven't even been hit yet".

Reamer made an immediate splash on special teams and was injured the week after the Florida game and took a Medical Redshirt for 2005. 2006 saw another injured knee and another lost year. 2007 brought a coaching change and Nick Saban to the Alabama campus. " Coach Saban is bringing this program back where it needs to be. This is an elite place in an elite conference. Is it coincidence that the SEC has won the last 2 National Titles? This is a time for restoration. The leadership on this team in now coming back to the forefront. This is a program everyone wants to be a part of. We went 7-6 last year and that's just not good enough around here. The downward spiral is over. Things are changing in a very positive manner."

Coach Saban has tried to change habits, but it's the players that have to make it happen. And a good sign a team is coming together is indeed with it's peer groups. " We have dog tags that was created for our team. ("Be a Champion" ) team is first here now. Our peer group handles the issues that are important. If You want to mess up ? Then you are going to have to face the music. Sometimes it is more difficult to face your peers than your coaches. NO one wants to deal with that kind of pressure in front of 15 other teammates. Good positive peer pressure from every age group a handful from each class. It's how the core of great leadership is developed. We had it when I got here and then we lost it for a little while. Now guys are emerging everywhere. Rashad and Antoine and John Parker are great SR leaders. They do things right everyday on and off the field.Then you have a guy like Andre Smith who is just a great football player and then a young guy that makes a huge impact like Rolando McClain. Those guys are great football players but even better people."

There is a need at linebacker in the fall and Reamer is ready to make an impact. There have been many guys in the past in the mold of a Cory Reamer that has helped Alabama get back to where it needs to be. A Champion. There have been other Bama LB's who were not household names when they came to Alabama but made names for themselves with gutty efforts and a commitment to excellence. Guys like Russ Wood and Gary Deniro . Randy Scott and Ricky Gilliland. Randy Rockwell and Lee Ozmint. Then most recently an unheralded player and Bama captain Daren Mustin. " I started in the spring and I feel very comfortable playing alongside Rolando. A guy like him makes you better. I know there is a perception that linebacker is going to need some help. Well I am ready to make an impact. We have a lot of young guys coming in that are going to have major impacts like Rolando had last year. We are looking forward to having this young guys come in and help us in anyway possible. But right now that position is mine and I am not going to give it up easily. I Plan on coming back to play at 235 lbs. I can add to that if need be with the right diet workout . You have to be dedicated or you will lose it. I Can play Sam and Will in our system and all of us know how to play both spots." Of course the position has been further weakened by the departures of Jimmy Johns and Ezekiel Knight. And then there is the situation regarding Prince Hall. "Prince is a beast and a guy that NO one on offense wants to try and block because he is so physical." Coach Saban has asked a lot of Prince and it's up to Prince whether he comes back or not. But I can assure you Prince Hall would certainly help us." Reamer had an outstanding spring and it poised to make a major impact on the defensive side of the ball in 2008. During the spring game it was hard not to see Reamer involved on a tackle with the first defense. Reamer regards himself as a "cleanup guy" that is much more aggressive now playing linebacker rather than safety. He has the ability to read well and has very good cover skills that will allow him to tackle well in the open field and cover tight ends in the slot. As far as the upcoming season goes Reamer is like the Tide, Ready to Roll.

"It's all about attitude. We are sick of losing and being mediocre. We don't want to represent that any longer. This program needs to be elevated back to where it belongs. I am a 4 year guy and will graduate next May. I know what this place means to so many people. The Bryant Museum. The Concrete at Denny Chimes. The respect for the coaches, teammates and fans. It's time to hang another banner, that 13th one. Legacy. New Era. The sheer greatness that is Alabama. The Coaches and these players want to do something special here and I want to be part of it. Heck we all we want to be part of it."

Clemson is but 4 weeks away and that game will be special for Cory Reamer for a lot of reason's. "It's a huge step on a great stage. Clemson preseason choice in the ACC playing in an arena where so much has already been decided. Super Bowls and SEC Titles. What a great opportunity for all of us". Reamer will have the chance to trade paint with an old teammate from little league, Clemson WR Tyler Grisham. " Tyler and I played for Coach Doug Tinney in little league and he was such a good coach and playing with Tyler as a kid was a blast. We have certainly come full circle. It's all you can hope for. All that college football is about in this match up. College Game Day, The Georgia Dome. Great opportunity to set the tone one game at a time."

firestorm said:
Hey Porter, I was surprised in the fact you listed Don'ta as the starter Jack linebacker. I know he's built of a granite frame, but what are his puss-rushing and athletic abilities? What do you see on him to be projected as a potential Jack linebacker? Thanks

By the way, if you're right in your prediction there's gonna be a lot of young people on the defensive side man. :p

RTR,

If Fanney has a good fall practice, he very well could hold onto the starting spot at Jack... and I think he will start vs. Clemson. Hightower though is one freshman who has the size to come in now and play that position. The Tide didn't get much out of the Jack position last season because they didn't have the personnel to really take advantage of it (McClain would have been a good Jack, but he was needed in the middle, and still is). The Jack needs to be strong at the point of attack with good pass rush skills, but also good coverage skills. It is going to take Hightower a little while to get used to all of that (assuming he does end up at Jack), but he's physically ready for the position now... and probably more so than Fanney (IMO anyway).

TerryP said:
Made it to the LG spot, saw Center, and had to respond. You are really "hung up" on Vlachos at C and sliding Caldwell filling the LG spot, eh?

I'm not saying I don't like it, but I do find it interesting seeing this is the 3rd-4th time I've seen you come out with that in the last few weeks.

OK, went to the two tabs open here.

I'm thinking, with nothing to base this on, Motley slides back to D. That's where I would have Vlachos.

Bobby Greenwood. Getting good reports on him. I suspect he'll surprise this year especially considering he played all last year with a hurt back.

Gentry before Talbert and Davis.

I know, 3 weeks in the season...let's bump this back up after Tulane and check it out B.

On Vlachos at center and Caldwell at guard... maybe that is more of a hope than a reality, but yes, that is what I'm hoping for, and frankly, what I am expecting to happen. The monkey wrench is Tyler Love. If he can prove that he can handle the right tackle spot, then I think the others fall into place as most expect (Smith - Johnson - Caldwell - Davis - Love). I just don't see Pharr or Davis being a viable option at RT though. Unless they have really turned things around, that would put one of our best 5 linemen (Vlachos or possibly even Evan Cardwell) on the bench, and I doubt Pendry lets that happen.

I think Motley could very well slide back to defense as well, especially if Washington finds himself playing more end than nose. The loss of Crump though might mean they keep Motley on the OL after all, I don't know. Vlachos can play either guard or center, but I think the coaches would be more comfortable with him at center. Evan Cardwell isn't chopped liver, but he has a nagging (possibly chronic) injury issue that is holding him back.

I probably do have Bobby Greenwood listed too low. DE, was kinda like LB, it is hard to figure out... lots of variables there. In a 4-3, I think he'd be the clear cut starter, but the switch to the 3-4 has not been great for him IMO. Like you said though, he was hurt last year, and he does have another year of S&C under his belt, so he very well could emerge as the undisputed starter.

I'm interested in hearing the reports on Nick Gentry over the next 3 weeks.

BamaFan425 said:
Orange and Blue was the color of choice in the Curt Reamer household in Hoover . "We were definitely an Auburn Family and growing up Cory really didn't have much of choice. Most of our family went there". Said Kurt Reamer the elder statesman of the Reamer clan. "Cory was basically surrounded by Auburn fans for most of his life". But after a visit to AU in Cory's JR year he made a stunning revelation to his father on the way back from Auburn. "Dad, I believe I am going to look great in Crimson and White." Kurt Reamer's response was simple. " I wanted him to be happy and go where he felt most comfortable. I was thrilled that my son was going to play major college football. And Alabama is Alabama". Cory was a bit anxious about the feelings of his family when Auburn offered. "Coach Chizik ( AU Defensive Coordinator and current Iowa State Head Coach) told me I reminded him of Will Herring ( Seattle Seahawks LB) and when Auburn offered I told my dad " I was way too scared to tell you." Curt Reamer offered " I think Cory was afraid we were going to try and persuade him to attend AU. I told him from day 1 this is your decision. It was really funny to tell you the truth. I promise you, we couldn't be more happier or proud for Cory."

So that's how it happened. Now just a 30 minute drive down the interstate there are a lot of perks to being just a hop skip and a jump from Hoover. " It's been a blast coming here. 30 miles from home and I try and take advantage of it. Home cooked meals and mom sometime's meets me at the Mercedes Benz plant with some great home cooking. My sister is here now and in a sorority and my parents can be down here in no time. And they really love it as much as we do. I knew the day I stepped on campus this was where I wanted to be."

Pride. Tradition. Respect. Words that come quickly to mind when you think Alabama. Defense wins championships and the first day as a wild eyed freshman, Reamer was quickly introduced to another Bama tradition. Intensity from some real life enforcers of the 2005 Crimson Tide defense.

" I was never as scared in my life as I was the first day." Cory recalled. I look over and see this beast wearing #47 and I thought to myself, I need to make friends with that guy immediately." That beast was NFL Draft Pick Mark Anderson. " Here I am a 195 lbs freshman and we have these guys that were unreal. Demeco Ryans, Freddie Roach and Roman Harper were incredible leaders. I am #13 and dress beside # 14 which was JP Wilson, and I am thinking to myself, welcome to the SEC and I haven't even been hit yet".

Reamer made an immediate splash on special teams and was injured the week after the Florida game and took a Medical Redshirt for 2005. 2006 saw another injured knee and another lost year. 2007 brought a coaching change and Nick Saban to the Alabama campus. " Coach Saban is bringing this program back where it needs to be. This is an elite place in an elite conference. Is it coincidence that the SEC has won the last 2 National Titles? This is a time for restoration. The leadership on this team in now coming back to the forefront. This is a program everyone wants to be a part of. We went 7-6 last year and that's just not good enough around here. The downward spiral is over. Things are changing in a very positive manner."

Coach Saban has tried to change habits, but it's the players that have to make it happen. And a good sign a team is coming together is indeed with it's peer groups. " We have dog tags that was created for our team. ("Be a Champion" ) team is first here now. Our peer group handles the issues that are important. If You want to mess up ? Then you are going to have to face the music. Sometimes it is more difficult to face your peers than your coaches. NO one wants to deal with that kind of pressure in front of 15 other teammates. Good positive peer pressure from every age group a handful from each class. It's how the core of great leadership is developed. We had it when I got here and then we lost it for a little while. Now guys are emerging everywhere. Rashad and Antoine and John Parker are great SR leaders. They do things right everyday on and off the field.Then you have a guy like Andre Smith who is just a great football player and then a young guy that makes a huge impact like Rolando McClain. Those guys are great football players but even better people."

There is a need at linebacker in the fall and Reamer is ready to make an impact. There have been many guys in the past in the mold of a Cory Reamer that has helped Alabama get back to where it needs to be. A Champion. There have been other Bama LB's who were not household names when they came to Alabama but made names for themselves with gutty efforts and a commitment to excellence. Guys like Russ Wood and Gary Deniro . Randy Scott and Ricky Gilliland. Randy Rockwell and Lee Ozmint. Then most recently an unheralded player and Bama captain Daren Mustin. " I started in the spring and I feel very comfortable playing alongside Rolando. A guy like him makes you better. I know there is a perception that linebacker is going to need some help. Well I am ready to make an impact. We have a lot of young guys coming in that are going to have major impacts like Rolando had last year. We are looking forward to having this young guys come in and help us in anyway possible. But right now that position is mine and I am not going to give it up easily. I Plan on coming back to play at 235 lbs. I can add to that if need be with the right diet workout . You have to be dedicated or you will lose it. I Can play Sam and Will in our system and all of us know how to play both spots." Of course the position has been further weakened by the departures of Jimmy Johns and Ezekiel Knight. And then there is the situation regarding Prince Hall. "Prince is a beast and a guy that NO one on offense wants to try and block because he is so physical." Coach Saban has asked a lot of Prince and it's up to Prince whether he comes back or not. But I can assure you Prince Hall would certainly help us." Reamer had an outstanding spring and it poised to make a major impact on the defensive side of the ball in 2008. During the spring game it was hard not to see Reamer involved on a tackle with the first defense. Reamer regards himself as a "cleanup guy" that is much more aggressive now playing linebacker rather than safety. He has the ability to read well and has very good cover skills that will allow him to tackle well in the open field and cover tight ends in the slot. As far as the upcoming season goes Reamer is like the Tide, Ready to Roll.

"It's all about attitude. We are sick of losing and being mediocre. We don't want to represent that any longer. This program needs to be elevated back to where it belongs. I am a 4 year guy and will graduate next May. I know what this place means to so many people. The Bryant Museum. The Concrete at Denny Chimes. The respect for the coaches, teammates and fans. It's time to hang another banner, that 13th one. Legacy. New Era. The sheer greatness that is Alabama. The Coaches and these players want to do something special here and I want to be part of it. Heck we all we want to be part of it."

Clemson is but 4 weeks away and that game will be special for Cory Reamer for a lot of reason's. "It's a huge step on a great stage. Clemson preseason choice in the ACC playing in an arena where so much has already been decided. Super Bowls and SEC Titles. What a great opportunity for all of us". Reamer will have the chance to trade paint with an old teammate from little league, Clemson WR Tyler Grisham. " Tyler and I played for Coach Doug Tinney in little league and he was such a good coach and playing with Tyler as a kid was a blast. We have certainly come full circle. It's all you can hope for. All that college football is about in this match up. College Game Day, The Georgia Dome. Great opportunity to set the tone one game at a time."

I really enjoyed that read.

BleedsCrimson35 said:
According to the TideSports roster, Brad Smelley is listed as TE. Pretty inconsequential either way, but I thought I'd throw that in there.

He looks like a TE too. I think he will certainly end up in that TE/H-Back role, regardless of how much times he gets at QB, if any.

Tider27 said:
Also, do you think Barron might get a shot at LB Porter?

I think he could grow into a LB down the road, but if he keeps his speed, I think he will very likely stay at safety. No doubt he'll be at safety for this year, and almost certainly next year.

I've been out of the loop so I'll have to plead ignorance as if I was George Costanza, is Prince Hall back with team completely?

weezyfbaby00 said:
I've been out of the loop so I'll have to plead ignorance as if I was George Costanza, is Prince Hall back with team completely?

Yes, practicing, but will serve a 3 game suspension to start the season. He has slimmed down some too.

Porter said:
Tider27 said:

I think he could grow into a LB down the road, but if he keeps his speed, I think he will very likely stay at safety. No doubt he'll be at safety for this year, and almost certainly next year.

He certainly is built to be a future great safety. I was just thinking he could help out with the depth at LB for now.

On the subject of depth at LB, I would of liked to see Jordan at LB rather than RB. :?

Tider27 said:
Porter said:
Tider27 said:

He certainly is built to be a future great safety. I was just thinking he could help out with the depth at LB for now.

On the subject of depth at LB, I would of liked to see Jordan at LB rather than RB. :?

He is needed at safety right now more than LB. Hightower, Harris, and Upshaw will provide the needed shot in the arm at LB. He could be another Laron Landry at safety though as long as he doesn't get too big.

IMO, you will see Jordan at LB sooner or later.

Argo said:
Porter said:
IMO, you will see Jordan at LB sooner or later.

I just hope the kid doesn't waste a season buried on the RB depth chart before he decides to take a shot at LB.

From what I understand, the staff wanted him at LB, but he wants a shot at RB. He's not a bad RB by any means, he's got the ability to be a contributor... I think they just see more of an upside with him a LB. Also, less depth at LB... he's got his work cut out for him to get carries at RB.

NTT said:
is Grant looking better thus far than he did last year?

They haven't even put the pads on yet, so it would be impossible for anyone to really say. He is a little stronger though, and still has that good speed. He is also fully recovered from his off-season sports hernia surgery (he got the hernia in the Western Carolina game, the first of the season, and it plagued him all year).

Speaking of possible position changes . . .

. . . Porter, do you think Jordan will indeed choose to increase his chances of seeing the field early on and try out at OLB (Sam)? Based on your projected depth chart, we are razor thin at Mike LB, but at least 3-deep at the other 3 LB positions. I think some of the guys projected at the Jack and Sam could move to the Mike and Will since the Sam doesn't require as many keys to learn .

Also, I think Chris Jackson may want to eventually move to the defensive side of the ball if he wants to increase his chances of playing early. He had some pretty impressive stats in HS. I think he would make an outstanding DB.

Last but not least, Michael Williams and Glenn Harbin are 2 tall, huge guys who have tremendous upside. Both could easily play TE, b/c of their great hands and footwork, but it looks like they were both tried out on Defense. One of the guys worked with the DL and the other with the LBs. It will be interesting to see if they stay on that side of the ball once the Senior TEs graduate!

Re: Speaking of possible position changes . . .

aMAZEnFan said:
. . . Porter, do you think Jordan will indeed choose to increase his chances of seeing the field early on and try out at OLB (Sam)? Based on your projected depth chart, we are razor thin at Mike LB, but at least 3-deep at the other 3 LB positions. I think some of the guys projected at the Jack and Sam could move to the Mike and Will since the Sam doesn't require as many keys to learn .

Also, I think Chris Jackson may want to eventually move to the defensive side of the ball if he wants to increase his chances of playing early. He had some pretty impressive stats in HS. I think he would make an outstanding DB.

Last but not least, Michael Williams and Glenn Harbin are 2 tall, huge guys who have tremendous upside. Both could easily play TE, b/c of their great hands and footwork, but it looks like they were both tried out on Defense. One of the guys worked with the DL and the other with the LBs. It will be interesting to see if they stay on that side of the ball once the Senior TEs graduate!

I'm not sure on Jordan yet, and I don't think the coaches are either. I'm sure they are anxious to see how well he does at RB in team work. But if it is clear that he isn't going to get any game reps, then switching to defense would likely be a possibility at some point. Personally, I'm interested in seeing if he's out there on special teams some this year.

As for the lack of Mike's, all those guys are so interchangeable that the chart that I posted is a bit misleading. Hester, Hightower, Anders are just 3 of the guys who can play there. All of those players will have a good idea of the ins and outs of the position, and in different situations, we'll see different players in that spot.

Michael Williams could easily make the transition to TE if needed. I think Harbin stays on defense. I think they like his ability to play Jack and/or DE.

Back
Top Bottom