A new world record for me

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
I'm a beekeeper and a friend of mine has a son in the military stationed in Afghanistan. He told his dad there is an extreme shortage of sugar / sweeteners in the area and wanted his dad to send him some of my honey. I gave him 4 quarts and they are on their way to Afghanistan as I type this. The farthest I'd ever shipped honey before was from Alabama to Michigan. So this is a new world record for me.

Guess how much shipping 4 quarts of honey to Afghanistan costs?

How long does it take for bees to make 4 quarts of honey on average - or how many bees does it take to make that much honey?

I'd go with $80-$100.

It all depends on what's blooming. While my Crimson clover was blooming, I harvested 12 gallons in just over 3 weeks from 3 hives. Each of these hive have between 30 and 40,000 bees. Since the clover has died down I've pulled off another 5 gallons from 4 hives but over a 6 week period. I'll have another harvest, maybe two and should get another 10 or so gallons before mid October. I leave between 80 and 90 pounds on each hive for the bees to live on through the winter.

You're close on the guessitmate.

Wow. They had thought a while back that mites were part of the problem.

We really have no idea what the long term, unintended impact of pesticides and medicines are. There was a story on supplements in USA Today (one of their better articles for quality and depth) on supplements and one bad actor in particular who had used a pesticide in a weight loss "supplement". Supposedly, it was used in a weight loss pill in the 20's or 30's until people started going blind. Thousands were affected. His most current offering was pulled from the shelves of Walmart and GNC after publication.

RTR,

Tim

Yup, not to mention all the genetically modified seed (GMO). I don't think I'll ever flip over to organic food completely, but the thought has crossed my mind a few times.

Lots of corn/hay crops around me, sometimes you'll see these signs around the crops that indicate the type of seed used. I did some researching a few years back because I was curious as hell what the signs were. I found out that when a company genetically makes a seed, you legally can't grow with their seed, then use that seed from the crop to regrow the next season. You have to buy their seed each time, believe its called "no saved seed".

Back
Top Bottom