| FTBL A few thoughts on the FSU game this weekend...

TerryP

Staff
  • It's been mentioned that a lot in this game may very well swing on whether LB Geno Hayes is reinstated after his arrest for an altercation last Friday. Bowden suspended him indefinitely after the arrest.

A lot of the success we could have on offense was dependent on whether Hayes was suspended "indefinitely." I suspected we'd see him against Alabama. And, true to form, Bowden reinstated him yesterday. Now, that being said, he's been demoted to second string.

Over/under on which series he sees his first action?
  • When we were looking at the UGA game last week, I think we all could agree that the starting 22 on both sides were equal. The difference came in one position specifically. QB.

Facing FSU is going to be very similiar. Comparing head to head match-ups we can compete with their strengths, the DL and LB's. This game, like last week, is going to have a very important ingredient to watch. How well John Parker does when compared to Drew Weatherford.

Weatherford, like Stafford last week, tends to make mistakes when he is pressured. If not, he has the ability to have a solid performance.

JPW needs to settle down. While FSU has the advantage here, if JPW can relax and find his stride, he'll win the head to head matchup.

We must find a way to get pressure on Weatherford. The game very well may rest on this point.
  • Also, like it's been mentioned before, we need Mustin back for this match-up but there isn't a thing that indicates he'll be back today. We saw the difference it made last week.

One area about him being on the field, as compared to Hall, is when Mclain makes the defensive call Mustin was just as vocal as Rolondo getting the players lined up correctly. Hall, as we've seen reported over his tenure here, is very quiet off the field and unfortunately on it as well.

If it continues, we're likely to have problems lining up again.
  • Our safeties need to come up big in this game as well. Specifically, and I'm not discounting their roles, is their timing.

Stafford was able to read what formation we were moving into last week very easily because out safeties we adjusting to quickly during their snap count. Credit goes to Stafford for recognizing the formation we were moving in to, knowing where the hole was going to be, and calling into it.

Look at their last TD in regulation as a prime example of such. We can ill-afford being caught in the same situation this weekend.
  • If we find the team going to the "Red Ball" offense (team term for the no-huddle) in the 2nd half, early, we're likely in for a long day.

JPW needs to find his rhythm early.

That being said, if we are getting a lot of pressure from their DL, it may be a good thing to jump into early. Normally, when a team uses this approach, the defense will drop back into zone coverage, or soft man coverage, which opens up those underneath routes.
  • The middle of the field has been open for our receivers in every game we've played. We've seen some of our players take advantage of those opportunities.

Again, JPW needs to find his rhythm early and make those plays.
  • Both Arkansas and Georgia had a lot of success running the ball at the weak side of our defensive formation. If you like watching specific players on defense, those will be interesting positions to watch.
  • I wouldn't mind watching an entire game without the TV crew looking for the twins wearing the Houndstooth hats. Enough already.
  • Besides using the word "relative" as a staple of his conversations, have you noticed the other word used consistently? Consistency. Even the most casual football fans have noticed it.

It'll be the word for the weekend.

OK, more than a few thoughts...

Hayes being demoted to second string just means we'll see him in the game by about BAMA offensive play # 3 is all. :lol:

Bobby's gonna teach him a lesson! :roll:

porkchop said:
Hayes being demoted to second string just means we'll see him in the game by about BAMA offensive play # 3 is all. :lol:

Or, watch them come out in a nickel formation on the first play, and, even though he's not announced as the starter, he's the one they have selected to play one of the two LB's.

"Weehll, we figurd dey'd come up wit 'dat formation, ya know? Hadda do sumpin' 'bout it. Dat fella at QB, can play ball."

TerryP said:
porkchop said:

Or, watch them come out in a nickel formation on the first play, and, even though he's not announced as the starter, he's the one they have selected to play one of the two LB's.

"Weehll, we figurd dey'd come up wit 'dat formation, ya know? Hadda do sumpin' 'bout it. Dat fella at QB, can play ball."

There you go! ;tr

FSU's front line are big guys and fast. We need to run right at their DEs, or either a little misdirections and screen and draws. They want to get that pass rush and they want to get up the field quickly. Use that against them.
If we just man up and run right at them, I think they have enough big and athletic guys that will clog up space for Grant and could shut things down between the tackles. A bigger back like Coffee and Upchurch might have a little more success in these situations.
Their LBs are fast, but that little WR underneith route we run when they blitz (UGA-Ark) could be deadly. Get McCoy or Brown under there, and a quick 5 yard dump could be turned up field for a big gain. I can see them sending Hayes or another LB onto Grant out of the backfield. Perfect for a good cutback move time for Grant, that we have seen from him, on Hayes and SS Rolle. Both take bad angles on tackles (see Clemson) and over run the play alot.
If we run simply between the tackles or just the classic toss sweep, FSU is too fast and will be all over that.
Saturday would be a good day for a reverse. Throw a few fake reverses in there just to keep them on their toes and at home.

This situation remonds me of something years ago. In 1967 Alabama opened the season against FSU at Legion Field. Kenny Stabler had been a bad boy in the off season. Bryant suspended him from the team for a while, but let him come back, but started him out as the 4th string quarterback, By the opener Snake had worked his way up to 2nd string, but Joe Kelly started the game in his place. FSU, under Bill Peterson, was pretty good at the time, and featured the great passing combination of Steve Tensi and Fred Biletnikoff, who later would become Stabler's favorite target with the Raiders. As I recall it, Bama kicked off and FSU took it down the field for a TD with their passing game, carefully staying away from the side of the field patrolled by Bama's great Bobby Johns. When we got the ball back, the offense under Kelly went three and out, and the crowd was getting restless. We punted, FSU punted, and we went three and out again. The crowd was starting to chant "We want Snake" when we punted for the second time. This time FSU returned the punt for a touchdown, putting Bama down 14-0. At this point Stabler entered the game to a great cheer, and this one became one of the most exciting games that I've ever seen, even if it did end in a 37-37 tie.

It was about 2/3 through the first quarter when our "2nd string" qb entered the game. I wonder if it will take that long for their start linebacker to get on the field.

Joe, I'd much rather it end up with the result of '65.

TWJUA said:
FSU's front line are big guys and fast. We need to run right at their DEs, or either a little misdirections and screen and draws. They want to get that pass rush and they want to get up the field quickly. Use that against them.

I understand what you are saying here, no doubt. It seemed to be our plan to run behind Andre' a lot last Saturday. I would be for that again, given we were lining up a TE on the same side with the FB leading the way.

I have no doubt in Mickey Andrews. He's one of the best DC's in football, and has been for quite awhile. I say that because I'm sure he'll have them prepared to react to the formations we line up in. He's missing a few bodies along the defensive line. BUT, it's important to remember they've been in reloading situations for years. Their defense, isn't what I would call suspect.

All that typed, and I keep coming back to the thought of our need to check off at the line, and do it wisely.

If we just man up and run right at them, I think they have enough big and athletic guys that will clog up space for Grant and could shut things down between the tackles. A bigger back like Coffee and Upchurch might have a little more success in these situations.

I'm reminded of the comment made by Dye about Bama not being man enough to beat Georgia a few years back. We've all seen improvement in the OL this fall. This weekend will go a long way in demonstrating that if we can line up and go against them.

Considering the article out of Jacksonville, if the above happens, I sure hope we have a few of the former staff watching the game.

Their LBs are fast, but that little WR underneith route we run when they blitz (UGA-Ark) could be deadly. Get McCoy or Brown under there, and a quick 5 yard dump could be turned up field for a big gain. I can see them sending Hayes or another LB onto Grant out of the backfield. Perfect for a good cutback move time for Grant, that we have seen from him, on Hayes and SS Rolle. Both take bad angles on tackles (see Clemson) and over run the play alot.

We are on the same sheet of music here, same bar, same note. If we do this successfully, the credit will need to go to the conductor.

Using Clemson as an example? I don't think our backfield is close to as good as the combination of Spiller and Davis. Plus, after a few games I'm sure they've been all over them about maintaining their lanes.

If we run simply between the tackles or just the classic toss sweep, FSU is too fast and will be all over that.
Saturday would be a good day for a reverse. Throw a few fake reverses in there just to keep them on their toes and at home.

On the same note, draw playes, screens over the middle, etc. Anything along these lines just to make the LB's pause, if only a second.

BamaDelta said:
Ya'll are making me feel sick. :?

Sorry. If we pull this one out, it'll be bigger than the win vs Arkansas, and if would be beaten Georgia, bigger than both of those games.

This is a big, big game...eyes around the nation will be watching it.

Tough contest though...

Did anyone see where Roy Upchurch was utilized in the OT series against UGA where he was used as a wideout? He ran a pattern between the UGA safeties (I am assuming they were in a cover two) and was left wide stinking open in the middle of the field!

I would like to see some improvisation on that play or that play again!

bamafan4ever said:
Did anyone see where Roy Upchurch was utilized in the OT series against UGA where he was used as a wideout? He ran a pattern between the UGA safeties (I am assuming they were in a cover two) and was left wide stinking open in the middle of the field!

Me to, especially if they can get John Parker to actually look to see if he's open.

Bama Bo said:
bamafan4ever said:

Me to, especially if they can get John Parker to actually look to see if he's open.

Exactly, Bo.

BTW...great write up Terry.

bamafan4ever said:

4ever, somehow you missed the 100 posts I made referencing this. :D Our entire section was going bonkers trying to get JPW to recognize it. JP never even turned that way...never even saw him. :cry:

I would love to see what that could have been.

BamaDelta said:
bamafan4ever said:

4ever, somehow you missed the 100 posts I made referencing this. :D Our entire section was going bonkers trying to get JPW to recognize it. JP never even turned that way...never even saw him. :cry:

I would love to see what that could have been.

I am sorry, Ms. Delta. I did miss the thread but seem to recall you putting something up about Upchurch. The play toggled in my mind yesterday when my Bama fan UPS man came to the door and we were talking about it.

You know I try to always keep up with all the ramblings, astute observations and complaints made by you! :wink: :D

bamafan4ever said:
I am sorry, Ms. Delta. I did miss the thread but seem to recall you putting something up about Upchurch. The play toggled in my mind yesterday when my Bama fan UPS man came to the door and we were talking about it.

You know I try to always keep up with all the ramblings, astute observations and complaints made by you! :wink: :D

Ahhh, I'm not that bad. :shock: I was joking with you only because I brought it up several times.

I'll keep my ramblings, astute observations and complaints to a minimum this week. :D :wink:

Patience is a virtue and obviously a vital part of being an Alabama fan for the last 10 years. That isn't easy for me, and I'm just a fan.

BamaDelta said:
bamafan4ever said:

Ahhh, I'm not that bad. :shock: I was joking with you only because I brought it up several times.

I'll keep my ramblings, astute observations and complaints to a minimum this week. :D :wink:

Patience is a virtue and obviously a vital part of being an Alabama fan for the last 10 years. That isn't easy for me, and I'm just a fan.

Don't you dare keep it down this week! I love your insights!

Ok I don't post much on this site, but I do read it quite a bit. The OP was solid and I enjoyed reading it. However, you must explain to me how DW>JPW. I just don't get it. DW has been an underachiever at FSU and is basically a liability. While JPW has not been as good this year as we all expected, he can still make plays and has lead us down the field on 2 huge late game drives already. I genuinely believe that if we swapped QBs for the game, Bama would have no chance. DW is that bad and JPW is not. To be honest I'm a little bit sick at the hate being directed toward JPW by Bama fans, he's not the reason why we lost to UGA (not saying the OP was doing this).

TideAlum05 said:
Ok I don't post much on this site, but I do read it quite a bit. The OP was solid and I enjoyed reading it. However, you must explain to me how DW>JPW. I just don't get it. DW has been an underachiever at FSU and is basically a liability. While JPW has not been as good this year as we all expected, he can still make plays and has lead us down the field on 2 huge late game drives already. I genuinely believe that if we swapped QBs for the game, Bama would have no chance. DW is that bad and JPW is not. To be honest I'm a little bit sick at the hate being directed toward JPW by Bama fans, he's not the reason why we lost to UGA (not saying the OP was doing this).

Good question. Leads me to believe you should post more often.

I see Weatherford as a better QB going to into this game (vs JPW) for a couple of different reasons.

If there is a weakness that we can exploit against the FSU defense, it's in the defensive secondary. Basically, I see this as a case where we'll have to take advantage of situations presented to us by attacking them through the air. Like you, I'll take up for JPW in a heartbeat because I know what kind of potential he has.

But, he's been inconsistent this year; problems with mechanics and he's been far from sharp. If he is going into this game, it is going to present problems for us coming out of Jacksonville with a win.

Neither of the QB's are putting up good numbers this year. Neither have been efficient. So, why would I give the nod to DW?

Added to the first thought I have to mention the difference in experience where Weatherford has a ton more than JPW. There is a huge gap in this area.

Weatherford is a stronger and bigger QB, but he doesn't have the scrambling ability that we've seen JPW have in the past.

Weatherford is a lot like Stafford as I mentioned earlier. If you get in his grill he tends to make mistakes. If he has time in the pocket, he has the ability to make his reads and pick the open man.

We haven't been able to get pressure on opposing QB's when we've faced quality caliber OL's. Even with the freshmen starting for Georgia, we still allowed Stafford to sit back and pass at will.

As far as your last comment about JPW not being the reason we lost to Georgia, you're right. It's a team effort. Although, that was one of the worst games in his career.

He's got it in him. If he can settle down, he can handle this game well. We need him to break out of this "slump" he's been dealing with.

This weekend would be a nice time to do so!

Back
Top Bottom