| FTBL A-Day ticket policy announced: Alabama now charging for admission.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Maybe I'm just not seeing the thread, so SIAP, but what's story re: A-Day? I imagine BDS won't be fully open, so how does one get tix?

Just announced today...

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The University of Alabama, in conjunction with the Southeastern Conference, announced Wednesday that the 2021 Golden Flake A-Day Spring Football Game will be played on Saturday, April 17. The game will kick off at 12 p.m. CT and will be televised on ESPN.

The annual A-Day Game is the 15th and final practice of the spring and takes place at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Premium seating options will be offered to existing seat holders (Founders Suites, Skybox, Loge Box, Champions Club, Terrace Club, Ivory Club, and North and South Zone) for a cost of $10 per ticket. Premium seat ticketholders will receive an email from the Athletic Ticket/TIDE PRIDE Office on March 25 with their offer.

General public tickets will be offered in all other areas of the stadium at a cost of $5 per ticket. The public ticket sale will be available for purchase on April 10.

UA students may opt in for a free student ticket on April 6-7.

March 25 – Premium seat holder emails sent

April 7 – Premium seat holder request deadline

April 6-7 – UA student opt-in period

April 10 – Public on sale date and UA student fulfilment sent

Such bullshit to charge. That's VERY poor leadership. There are THOUSANDS that go to A-Day because they can't afford or have the ability to get into a real game. These fuckers have made profits for years and spent way above their means and will now take every penny they can. Scrooge McDuck type stuff here. Things better change or they can dump my tickets on some other fool willing to be nothing more than a checkbook.

Pretty sure they are charging something, in order to allow the general public (that can't afford games) to get in.
If the tickets are "free", then all of the folks that are allowed to get their pick before April 10th would probably snap all of them up.
I used to do a customer appreciation bass tournament & the 1st couple of years "everyone" said they were coming because there was no charge.
I would plan for (including food) for 100 boats & 25 would show. I started charging $20 per boat & giving it all back as "big fish" & all that paid showed up.
Making the "premium" pay something will probably keep them from taking all of the tickets. Just a thought...

Yeah how you see this depends on the intent you are assuming. If viewed as power hungry profiteers then you will be mad and upset. if viewed as a way of controlling as fairly as possible the limited seating and insuring people show up it would viewed more favorably.

I will say my first reaction was man I hate to see this because once you charge you will keep charging.

Pretty sure they are charging something, in order to allow the general public (that can't afford games) to get in.
If the tickets are "free", then all of the folks that are allowed to get their pick before April 10th would probably snap all of them up.
I used to do a customer appreciation bass tournament & the 1st couple of years "everyone" said they were coming because there was no charge.
I would plan for (including food) for 100 boats & 25 would show. I started charging $20 per boat & giving it all back as "big fish" & all that paid showed up.
Making the "premium" pay something will probably keep them from taking all of the tickets. Just a thought...

I see what you're saying, but A-Day doesn't sell out or I haven't noticed it sold out in years. Bring more people in for this case and make more on concessions potentially. You may not want the crowds for your example, but they want the support for the team and a full stadium would do that. I think about the kids more than anything. Kids under 18 outta be free.

I think there will be limited capacity. 25, 40...% ??

I think the only way they can limit is to have tickets

Otherwise you would have to say “first xx,000 get in” and then you have 90,000 fans show up and 50-60,000 of them end up pissed off and ugly

You can have free tickets to limit capacity. X% allotted to Tide Pride, Y% allotted to students, Z% allotted to general public.

You can have free tickets to limit capacity. X% allotted to Tide Pride, Y% allotted to students, Z% allotted to general public.

only appears the high rollers are getting priority....restof us ...TPers...Bama Club here....are considered general public...

@BamaFan334...

You areright on... the leadership at AD level is terrible ( many may disagree...thatsfine)...
If youdont think so...ask those in U-2 that hadtheir 25 year seats taken away...for more high dollar boxes...

Was really close to just not renewing this year...

only appears the high rollers are getting priority....restof us ...TPers...Bama Club here....are considered general public...

@BamaFan334...

You areright on... the leadership at AD level is terrible ( many may disagree...thatsfine)...
If youdont think so...ask those in U-2 that hadtheir 25 year seats taken away...for more high dollar boxes...

Was really close to just not renewing this year...

Just like government, give them an inch and they take a mile. They think $5 is ok and people still do it, next time it'll be $10.

Byrne isn't a bad guy and I think he is doing well with making our athletic program competitive, which makes us feel great all year long. With that comes money to keep everything rolling. I get all of that and to an extent don't mind it. But the flashy stuff, the dollar here dollar there is just poking the bear too many times in my mind. We all hate when our kids nickel and dime us to death, so why should we all of a sudden appreciate it when our alma mater does it to us too. There is a dollar amount associated with EVERYTHING this program does and they don't seem to make longstanding donors feel appreciated. Not just on here have a I heard that, but from a couple of 40 year ticket holders and families that have had close relatives even play and start at Alabama. You throw in my little run in with their licensing company over the #18 hats (didn't sell one, just made it for myself before the Natty to post on Instagram mind you. Never put up on my website for sale) that did not say anything about the school, mascot, anything, just insinuated, and I'm at a cross roads with them. Will always love Alabama and what they did for me. Will continue to support the business school like I do. Will always appreciate the effort our student-athletes put into what gives all of us joy, but the spicket may be closing soon from this guy.

Perhaps they're just doing the best they can with limited seating.

Best to understand before jumping to negative conclusions?

Wouldn't they have explained if they were doing the best they could or reasoning if it was more than a money grab? After all, they did put out a press release about it. I also didn't notice anything about limited seating.

Also, what is the major change in April to August when it comes to planning for full capacity and offering season tickets to donors as if there will be 100%? Vaccines are apparently having issues getting out and all of that. I don't have the answers, just making a comment on how they are collecting money as if full capacity, so curious what plans to happen between now and then that will change everything, especially with cases surging due to Spring Break per the media.

Capacity limited to ~25% is what I've seen. He said this last month, I've seen no update to this, so assume this is still the case.

$125k at minimum isn't really a money grab in my book (25k * $5). At the end of the day, $5 ain't hurting anyone. If someone can't afford to go, then don't go. It is just a spring practice 😉

There are costs associated to running spring games. Perhaps they're just trying to net zero here? Obviously last year was tight for many.

My point, assume good intent.

Capacity limited to ~25% is what I've seen. He said this last month, I've seen no update to this, so assume this is still the case.

$125k at minimum isn't really a money grab in my book (25k * $5). At the end of the day, $5 ain't hurting anyone. If someone can't afford to go, then don't go. It is just a spring practice 😉

There are costs associated to running spring games. Perhaps they're just trying to net zero here? Obviously last year was tight for many.

My point, assume good intent.

Crowd control is the priority from the stand point of opening the gates up for only 25% capacity & charging for it. The only real fair way to govern who gets in & who doesn't. It also completely eliminates a mob run for seats, which is the last thing we need during the COVID-19 crowd management.

Once this COVID-19 "new normal" is in the past, it will get back to what it needs to be.

I think @planomateo is correct in his thinking. UA has supposedly been following the state guidelines on attendance, and I think there is a chance those guidelines are changing in early April, before the spring game (which may open up more seating). I'd imagine the setup as of now, is the same, or very similar to what it was during the season... which is blocks of 2 or 4 open seats spread way the hell out in all areas. I'm not sure of a better way to handle it, while ensuring the most seats get used, without charging a few bucks. If they made 35,000 seats free to reserve, a good portion wouldn't show up and the seats would be empty. That will still happen some, but to a much less degree.

Personally, I think future A-Day's (when capacity can be full), they should do something similar to what they have done in the past couple of years. Charge a bit for premium seating and make the rest (about 70%) of the stadium free. Put donation boxes at the gate entrances and any money donated goes to a local charity like Nick's Kids or some such.

I think @planomateo is correct in his thinking. UA has supposedly been following the state guidelines on attendance, and I think there is a chance those guidelines are changing in early April, before the spring game (which may open up more seating). I'd imagine the setup as of now, is the same, or very similar to what it was during the season... which is blocks of 2 or 4 open seats spread way the hell out in all areas. I'm not sure of a better way to handle it, while ensuring the most seats get used, washout charging a few bucks. If they made 35,000 seats free to reserve, a good portion wouldn't show up and the seats would be empty. That will still happen some, but to a much less degree.

Personally, I think future A-Day's (when capacity can be full), they should do something similar to what they have done in the past couple of years. Charge a bit for premium seating and make the rest (about 70%) of the stadium free. Put donation boxes at the gate entrances and any money donated goes to a local charity like Nick's Kids or some such.

When we look at events leading up to events then we see a bigger picture

seating capacity at Aday really is a minor event..really like @OldPlayer pointed out
A practice. We usually leave about start of 4th

but several others compound or actually enlighten the situation

we know we are on top. Do whatever and it wont matter. One drops out. Another is ready to take their place

but. If you dont culture ur fanbase, even pamper The loyal. When tough time hit ( see Tennessee) a large base That additional 20% will bail.
Cant afford to lose the profit levels
( a % pays the bills. A % turns the profit),

don't know to what extent we will see this.

got 10-40 year fans annd 5-7 year employees that will move on.
I believe MaL Moore understood this. One thing that made him a great AD. He was both a long term emplyee and a long term quality fan

At the end of the day, $5 ain't hurting anyone. If someone can't afford to go, then don't go. It is just a spring practice 😉

Say that when you see how poor the surrounding areas of Tuscaloosa are, and all of those little kids get to go for free and can't because it cost anything. When something is free and then it starts getting charged, I don't think good intent. The University makes money and can allow a free "Spring practice". I'm thinking more about the kids, not money making adults. I would feel a lot better about it if Kids Under 18 were free. Hell, students are free.

Back
Top Bottom