| GAME THREAD šŸˆ A-Day, 2024 šŸˆ Recaps, opinions, and reports.

CNS seems to be relishing his new job, ie retirement. He does seem as though he is doing the thing he should do and that is let allow Coach DeBoer to do his job. As a former coach, even when I got out of it, I told my players that if they needed me, they knew where I was. There is a special bond between a player and his coach and coach to player. Things are about to get busy for CNS here shortly with the draft coming up, because we all know that the man will do his homework on all of the kids taking that next step and he will have a little more to add for those he faced on Saturdays and for those that were his own.

CNS seems to be relishing his new job, ie retirement. He does seem as though he is doing the thing he should do and that is let allow Coach DeBoer to do his job. As a former coach, even when I got out of it, I told my players that if they needed me, they knew where I was. There is a special bond between a player and his coach and coach to player. Things are about to get busy for CNS here shortly with the draft coming up, because we all know that the man will do his homework on all of the kids taking that next step and he will have a little more to add for those he faced on Saturdays and for those that were his own.
Fan: "I love it when I see guys like Dont'a, Julio, and Mark coming back to campus!"
Also fan: "I don't like Saban hanging around the program."

Fan: "I love it when I see guys like Dont'a, Julio, and Mark coming back to campus!"

Not something I understand at all. The guy never allowed to come back to Alabama? He not allowed to come back and be celebrated with his teams like all the others? I mean, damn. He earned that damn ring and is supporting his players that are literally cemented into Alabama lore. Where is that issue? He was sitting up in a box for the scrimmage for goodness sakes.

Not something I understand at all. The guy never allowed to come back to Alabama? He not allowed to come back and be celebrated with his teams like all the others? I mean, damn. He earned that damn ring and is supporting his players that are literally cemented into Alabama lore. Where is that issue? He was sitting up in a box for the scrimmage for goodness sakes.
I donā€™t think @TerryP has an issue, just simply putting it out there that we have some fans that openly think like this on this board and in the fanbase. Iā€™m like you and @TerryP , CNS isnā€™t putting himself out there unless he is asked by CKD. Like you stated, he deserves to be there to receive his ring and share that moment with the holdovers from last year.

When it comes to covering a specific event, or a football topic, I think he's pretty good at his job. Then, when he steps the slightest bit out of that role, things go downhill quickly.

Yep, and he's one of those that couldn't navigate the political obstacles of 2020-21 without falling jumping into every pitfall. Then topped it off by beclowning himself over the Lia Thomas stuff... which is ironic given his "concerns" about Saban watching a practice from a skybox.

I donā€™t think @TerryP has an issue, just simply putting it out there that we have some fans that openly think like this on this board and in the fanbase. Iā€™m like you and @TerryP , CNS isnā€™t putting himself out there unless he is asked by CKD. Like you stated, he deserves to be there to receive his ring and share that moment with the holdovers from last year.

That's right.

I meant to mention during the game Saturday, there were loads of former players on the sidelines (both). That was encouraging to me to see them all back even with CNS not wearing the headset. Theyā€™re there for the players and the program.

Opinion - all the talk about CNS is just stupid. CNS is old school and will only engage IF ask and it helps the program period.

On a diferent topic - Biggest concern I saw at the A-Day game was a fundamental and the other was an attention to detail.

First was poor tackling by the D at least to start with. This has to get cleaned up period.

Second had nothing to do with the game but the field. Maybe there was an explanation that I did not hear so someone correct me if there was one. I see this as not paying attention to a detail but probably just me.

Opinion - all the talk about CNS is just stupid. CNS is old school and will only engage IF ask and it helps the program period.

On a diferent topic - Biggest concern I saw at the A-Day game was a fundamental and the other was an attention to detail.

First was poor tackling by the D at least to start with. This has to get cleaned up period.

Second had nothing to do with the game but the field. Maybe there was an explanation that I did not hear so someone correct me if there was one. I see this as not paying attention to a detail but probably just me.

Part of the improvements they made to the field and turf last summer was geared towards making sure the grass is healthier (and greener) come December in case of a possible home playoff game. I don't know a damned thing about turf management, but that supposedly consists of doing what they're doing now... which I think is keeping it dormant longer in the spring or something along those lines.

Part of the improvements they made to the field and turf last summer was geared towards making sure the grass is healthier (and greener) come December in case of a possible home playoff game. I don't know a damned thing about turf management, but that supposedly consists of doing what they're doing now... which I think is keeping it dormant longer in the spring or something along those lines.
There's a lot going on there. I'll touch on one that was evident to the eye: the top dressing (sand.)

You'll notice you see it outside the hash marks, right? The middle of the field is on a crown, drainage goes to the sidelines. What that leads to is a spongy surface: susceptible to divots, uneven playing surfaces, and uneven absorption of water and nutrients.

One small aspect that has nothing to do with how it looks: maintenance like this prevents injury.

The "agronomics" guys at UA aren't paying attention to how the grass looks above ground. There's a reason you see spring fertilization rates running in the areas of 0-0-7. They aren't worried about top growth in April.

On another note:

Fans: It's stupid for people to be focused on why Saban is around campus.
Also fans: What the hell is going on with the grass?

Where's Katie Couric when you need her opinion?

Yeah...

It always has been like that.....
Yes, but this was the first time weā€™ve had a ā€œgameā€ without CNS at the helm. Not that I expected them not to show, but it was wonderful to see so many of them show up.

We sat in the first 3-5 rows behind the home bench at the 2007 a-day game and I donā€™t remember seeing any NFL guys, may have been a few alum. But heck, we probably didnā€™t have that many guys in the NFL at that time. There were enough NFL guys there Saturday to nearly field a team.

Yes, but this was the first time weā€™ve had a ā€œgameā€ without CNS at the helm. Not that I expected them not to show, but it was wonderful to see so many of them show up.

We sat in the first 3-5 rows behind the home bench at the 2007 a-day game and I donā€™t remember seeing any NFL guys, may have been a few alum. But heck, we probably didnā€™t have that many guys in the NFL at that time. There were enough NFL guys there Saturday to nearly field a team.
yes sir!

The gripe about the look of the field is silly to be honest. Bermuda thrives with warmer temps and watering/fertilizing. In the Spring, we donā€™t get both consistently. I know at the HS levels, before a lot of schools went to the FieldTurf surface, to get it to ā€œgreen upā€, we had to over-seed with rye grass. It looks good but is slicker than owl shit!!! Top dressing/sanding as @TerryP stated was something we always did around the first week of April.
As far as ā€œattention to detail or lack thereofā€, tackling struggles in Spring because of limited practices(15), limited practices in full gear, then the layoff of Spring Break falling in here too, etc. all lead to some sloppy starts. Once we get to Fall practice, you will see consistency in practice and a solid routine established, no breaks, etc.
As for former players coming back, I believe CNS sort of made it a public priority to welcome those former players back anytime they wished. Other coaches likely told their players they were welcome, but CNS put it out there in the fans eye!

Former players coming back...and recruits seeing players they watch on Sundays or have heard stories about...

Is incredible for recruiting....and the signs of a healthy program...

Nick really emphasized this need..and every saturday in the fall at BD....they were there

Back
Top Bottom